Windows 10: Using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Dual Bios)

Discus and support Using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Dual Bios) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I want to have two OS on my computer, one on my HDD and one on SSD. I already have Windows 7 on HDD and I also have Windows 10 on my SSD but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by titansarus, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Dual Bios)

Hi.
    I want to have two OS on my computer, one on my HDD and one on SSD. I already have Windows 7 on HDD and I also have Windows 10 on my SSD but I don't use Win 10 because I somewhere read that for using Windows 10 and Windows 7 in one computer, you must disable fast boot on Win 10 because it may lead to CHKDSK when you want to work with Win 7 and other problems may happen. I want to know is there anything else that I should do to use Windows 10 and Windows 7 in a computer without this CHKDSK or other similar problems? Is just disabling Fast Boot enough?
    Thanks and Sorry for my English.

:)

titansarus, Oct 14, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

No dual-boot at all?!

You are violating the windows license agreement and will not be able to activate windows 10 if you did not upgrade from windows 7 on your boot drive before doing a clean install. The free Windows 10 upgrade replaces your windows 7 license and windows 7 cannot
    be used or transferred after the upgrade. You will have to buy the license to activate windows 10 if you have not purchased it already.

If you are willing to purchase the win 10 license to activate it, here are dual boot instructions but windows 10 can be difficult to dual boot-- (win 7 instructions are the same for win 10)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7

Custom installation of the newest version with drive options is the key to dual booting. Changing boot order in the bios doesn't apply to dual boot. You will have to do a Custom Clean reinstall windows 10. Consider just staying with windows 7 until you replace
    the computer.

mlg63, Oct 14, 2016
  3. Two OSs

You don't say anything that helps us help you.

What is computer's make and model?

How are you configuring for dual booting, partitioning or second drive?

Why does your BIOS not allow boot from media?

What do you see in the Boot Menu in the BIOS?

Have you already purchased Windows 10?

From what source?

(You cannot use the free upgrade offer to obtain the copy of Windows 10 for the second member of your dual boot since you will continue to use the qualifying Windows 7.)

Cbarnhorst, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Try3 Win User

Using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Dual Bios)

Disabling Fast start is useful to avoid awkwardness but is not, of itself, a critical step.

There are full procedures in
    [if Windows 7 is the currently active OS - which I think is your situation]
    How to dual boot Windows 10 Technical Preview with Windows 7 by JWStuart [I used this procedure when I set up a Win7-Win10 dual boot].
    and [if Windows 10 is the currently active OS],
    Windows 10 how to dual boot with Windows 7 - JWStuart
    The references to the Technical preview merely reflect the date they were written; they are still valid.

Denis

5. Hi.
    As I said in my question, I have Win 10 installed but I don't use it because I think chkdsk may happen. I read the How to dual boot Windows 10 Technical Preview with Windows 7 by JWStuart But I think it is more about installing the windows and didn't add anything more than Disable fast start to prevent the problem. You said it is not a critical step, so what is the critical step?

And another question which doesn't relate to the previous. If I upgrade my Windows 10 (old build) with an ISO to newer build, can it cause any problem in Windows 7?

Thanks.

titansarus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Dual Bios)

1. Using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Dual Bios) - Similar Threads - Using Dual Bios

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  5. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  6. Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's

Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's: I have Windows 10 installed on one HD and running well. I've just added a second formatted HD where I wish to install Windows 7. My question - should I first disconnect the Windows 10 HD before installing Windows 7 on the new HD? My concern is that I not mess up...
  7. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  8. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  9. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...
  10. Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues

Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues: I dual boot to 2 different windows 7 installs. I have my primary for day to day stuff and the second install is for my DAW. I don't want to update the DAW to 10 because of the issues it may cause. I do want to update my primary install to 10. Can this be done or will I run...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10using win 7 bios