Windows 10: Using Windows 10 File Explorer To Back Up iTunes With A Flash Drive

Discus and support Using Windows 10 File Explorer To Back Up iTunes With A Flash Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I bought a 128 GB flash drive to back up my entire iTunes playlist using the Windows 10 File Explorer, and I want to confirm the steps I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by CanAm, Mar 15, 2017.

1. CanAm Win User

Using Windows 10 File Explorer To Back Up iTunes With A Flash Drive

Hi all,

I bought a 128 GB flash drive to back up my entire iTunes playlist using the Windows 10 File Explorer, and I want to confirm the steps I plan to take.....

Go to File Explorer and select Music / iTunes / iTunes Music. Plug in the flash drive. Drag the iTunes Music file to the flash drive.

Correct?

:)

CanAm, Mar 15, 2017
  2. LeanneYT Win User

unable to open files from a flash drive after converting from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Hi Anne

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to be my problem. The reason I say this is that, while I was using the flash drive on Windows 7, it was regularly scanned for viruses etc, and was always clean. The problem I have is that I saved the files on the flash drive
    when my computer was operating Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 10. I had problems using iTunes and ended up wiping the entire hard drive and installing a completely clean version of Windows 10 before reinstalling iTunes. This allowed iTunes to work, but
    with no information from Windows 7 left on the computer, I feel there may be some compatibility problem between the software on the flash drive and the new operating system (most of my files were created using Microsoft Works, which I now no longer have, but
    were converted to Word 2007 documents before being saved). I now need to get access to those files, and can't, because the flash drive slows down the computer to a halt. If I remove the flash drive, the computer recovers and operates normally again. Please
    tell me how I can rectify this problem, since my files are completely inaccessible.

Leanne.

LeanneYT, Mar 15, 2017
  3. External drive not appearing in File Explorer

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my external hard drive does not appear in the File Explorer. It has all of my iTunes music and itunes cannot find the drive.

kcarlson317, Mar 15, 2017
  4. Using Windows 10 File Explorer To Back Up iTunes With A Flash Drive

Hi CanAm

I think if I were doing it I would just copy the Itunes folder and then paste to key. If you go down to music level you miss files and other iTune folders on same level. You can see what files and what folders. I don't believe your play list are in the music folder either.

As to dragging, just make sure that doesn't invoke move.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  5. CanAm Win User
    Hi Ken, and thanks for the reply.
    My iTunes playlist is definitely listed in my iTunes Music file because I use it every month after I buy a few songs.

The path: "Go to File Explorer and select Music / iTunes / iTunes Music. Plug in the flash drive. Drag the iTunes Music file to the flash drive" is similar to what I do every month so I am familiar with that. Just want to confirm that I can just drag the file iTunes Music to my flash drive.

I will be back tomorrow.

CanAm, Mar 15, 2017
  6. If you drag to copy cool. I'm old school, Crtl+C on source, CRTL+V on target.

7. CanAm Win User
    Hi Ken,

Thank you for you reply. So, what I plan to do is correct...Correct? *Wink

CanAm, Mar 15, 2017
  8. Using Windows 10 File Explorer To Back Up iTunes With A Flash Drive

Yes. Again I would just see what is on same level. I went back to my files and my playlists were not within the actual music folder and I had a folder called artwork. This has be copied from machine to machine so my structure could be different than you folder structure.

Yes if dragging shows as copying, then drag music folder to key.

9. CanAm Win User
    Hi Ken!

Thanks for confirming I can do it that way!

Yes, our folder structure must be different. Besides iTunes Music (where all my songs are) I also have Album Artwork, Previous iTunes Library, plus sub files like iTunes Extras, iTunes Genius, and a bunch of temp files.

Before I mark this thread as "Solved" I see you are from Canada by your flag icons. My father was born near Quebec City. I also have a very distant cousin whom I've never met, who was drafted by the Florida Panthers but still tends goal for a team in the QMJHL. My son played hockey from mites through juniors, and as a bantam he played for a team called the Ontario Senators from Ontario California.

I just realized that was probably WAY too much information, so THANK YOU again for your help!

Mark

CanAm, Mar 15, 2017
  10. Hey thanks for sharing. I have a sister in law in California, Silicon Valley. Small world.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using Windows 10 File Explorer To Back Up iTunes With A Flash Drive

1. Using Windows 10 File Explorer To Back Up iTunes With A Flash Drive - Similar Threads - Using File Explorer

2. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  3. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  4. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer: I have a sandisk ultra flash drive that I made the mistake of plugging into a printer so that it could scan files directly on to it. I should have known better as printers always find a way to make your job harder, but, it ended up corrupting the flash drive and now I'm stuck...
  5. Back up to USB Flash drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up to USB Flash drive: When backing up my laptop I use the Windows 7 back up procedure in control panel to create a system image to a usb hard drive. I recently advised my mate that he should do the same with his laptop so he purchased a 256gb USB flash drive. When we attempt to do the back up of...
  6. Backing up files to a USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up files to a USB flash drive: Hi I am wondering if there is a specific program that can walk me through backing up info from my computer either to a usb drive or to burn to disc? when i try to backup to a usb thumb drive or whatever you call it. it asks me to save or import to dropbox. i prefer a program...
  7. backing up files using File History to a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backing up files using File History to a flash drive: I have been using File History (Windows 10) to back up my files on a flash drive but am unable to verify that these files have in fact been backed up. They don't appear when I examine the contents of the flash drive using file explorer. I have not needed to recover any...
  8. Backing up Windows 10 on Flash Drive

Backing up Windows 10 on Flash Drive: I am trying to back up Windows 10 on my 32g flash drive, but I keep getting the error 'The drive is not a valid backup location' when I am creating a system image Can anyone help me? Thanks...
  9. BACK UP PC RE-USING FLASH DRIVE

BACK UP PC RE-USING FLASH DRIVE: HOW CAN I RE-USE A FLASH DRIVE THAT IS FULL? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-pc-re-using-flash-drive/0f1bf996-bb4c-4d4e-b276-415e87d81d14
  10. How to back up my windows 10 OS and files on a Flash drive.

How to back up my windows 10 OS and files on a Flash drive.: How to back up my windows 10 OS and files on a Flash drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-back-up-my-windows-10-os-and-files-on-a/80891749-b333-47a5-a217-c9444dcfadbf