Windows 10: Using Windows 10 File Explorer to burn dvds

Discus and support Using Windows 10 File Explorer to burn dvds in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been working with Poser for some time now. I'd like to save some of what I've created, as well as content I've downloaded (legally) that's either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jayv2251, Nov 28, 2016.

1. jayv2251 Win User

Using Windows 10 File Explorer to burn dvds

I've been working with Poser for some time now. I'd like to save some of what I've created, as well as content I've downloaded (legally) that's either free or I've even paid for. If I were to burn that content off using RW discs, does File Explorer "finalize" the disc preventing me from adding additional material without over writing what I've burnt off?

:)

jayv2251, Nov 28, 2016

2. formatting dvd-r

Insert the DVD

Open File Explorer

Open This PC

Right click the DVD

Click Erase disc

See how to drag and drop files to it then burn:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/burn-files-dat...

Andre Da Costa, Nov 28, 2016
  3. Burning pics to disc windows 10

Try using file explorer and select/click share. Copy the photos you want to burn/copy to DVD. If Windows starts to remind you that you have files waiting to burn that's a good sign. Next, right click the DVD drive as it's listed in File Explorer. There should
    be an option to burn to disc.

DougSparkes, Nov 28, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

It might, should give you a choice to do it, but I've not done it with the RW discs, always use the R discs as I prefer the archival copy to prevent accidentally screwing them up.

Berton, Nov 28, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    Would flash drives work instead of using dvds?

Winuser, Nov 28, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It will not finalize the disc until you tell it to.

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    majorgeeks.com has some better DVD burning tools that are lightweight.

If you choose to finalize, yes the disc has been burned.

bro67, Nov 28, 2016
  8. jayv2251 Win User

Obviously, I'm familiar with finalizing. Does Windows "finish" mean the same thing though? You know how they kinda twist things. What 3rd party data burning software is recommended?

jayv2251, Nov 28, 2016
  9. spunk Win User
    If you plan on adding files over time, it's best to not use DVD discs, instead use a USB Flash Drive or HDD.
    If you want to burn Audio or Data CD's and DVD's try the free CD Burner XP software. If burning movie files that you would like to play in a standard DVD player, then use DVDFlick.
    CD-RW and DVD-RW discs are harder to work with because of the finalizing and RW disc can only be re-written so many times before they aren't usable any more.

spunk, Nov 28, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Again if you burn from the built in burner, it can either screw the copy up, finalize it even if you choose to not to. A RW can be written on only finite times. They are not meant to be the replacement of a pocket drive. Also if these are for media for say a car stereo, Blue-Ray or DVD player. It may not playback properly.

I would use a lightweight burner if not needing all of the extras. Especially with how much Microsoft has not done with a lot of their tools that are very dated at this point.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Tell me about it. 2TB pocket platter drives are selling for $55 these days. 64GB USB sticks are going for under $15. I keep a drawer full of 32GB sticks, because I am always loading them with tools or photos for people.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
  12. jayv2251 Win User
    Main purpose for what I wish to do. I've been toying around with the animation program Poser. I just upgraded to Poser 11. In a perfect world I'd set up a switch and add a few external drives and use them as my own cloud. There's latterly terra bytes of free content you can add to your animations that you can download. After adding that to what animations I've created, I'd want back-ups of back-ups just to feel safe.

Having been "into" computers since the early 80's I think back to the time when a friend couldn't understand why I'd want a 20megabyte hard drive attached to my Commodore 64. And now we've there's inexpensive terabyte hard drives and solid state drives.

Just curious, what's folks thoughts on using a quad layer blu-ray disks?

jayv2251, Nov 29, 2016
  13. spunk Win User

Burning to CD's DVD's and especially Blu-Ray can be difficult to use, especially if you are trying to add files over time. HDD's and Flash Drives are relatively inexpensive and have far greater capacity then discs and are far less prone to scratching and overall degradation.

spunk, Nov 29, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    If you want better transcoding, then get a decent NAS with proper hard drives. Just adding a bunch of USB drives is going to only make things worse, regardless of what you plan on doing with that computer and the program.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Windows 10 File Explorer to burn dvds - Similar Threads - Using File Explorer

2. Can't burn DVDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't burn DVDs: Hi,I'm trying to back-up some of my photos onto DVDs which I do periodically, most recently about six months ago, but the process has repeatedly failed today. I've tried BurnAware Free, Ashampoo Burning Studio and doing it through Windows Explorer, but they have all failed to...
  3. Can't burn DVDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't burn DVDs: Hi,I'm trying to back-up some of my photos onto DVDs which I do periodically, most recently about six months ago, but the process has repeatedly failed today. I've tried BurnAware Free, Ashampoo Burning Studio and doing it through Windows Explorer, but they have all failed to...
  4. Can't burn DVDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. burn CDs or DVDS using Windows DVD Player

burn CDs or DVDS using Windows DVD Player: Can I burn CDs or DVDS using Windows DVD Player? On Windows 10 I can't burn CDs or DVDs with provided software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burn-cds-or-dvds-using-windows-dvd-player/16e14a78-467c-420b-aa9c-985b4a1afb34
  6. Can't burn DVDs

Can't burn DVDs: I can't burn DVDs. I'm using Verbatim DVD-Rs and whenever I try to burn one of them it talks about a PMA update failure. 146611
  7. File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds.: When inserting a dvd or cd nothing happens. Disc drive & drivers are working properly but the discs don't show on File Explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-in-windows-10-not-recognising-dvds/a8fb5e2e-3d39-4c24-959c-4cd3528ae5b3"
  8. Can't burn DVDs.

Can't burn DVDs.: I am able to burn CDs but not DVDs. I can play DVDs or CDs. The Error message says there is no disk in the drive. Trying to use DVD+RW. thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-burn-dvds/64df65cd-405c-4148-8aee-ae8537eb60da
  9. DVD drive won't burn DVDs in Windows 10

DVD drive won't burn DVDs in Windows 10: PC is on Windows 10 1803 64 bit - it has an inbuilt DVD drive and I've recently bought an external USB DVD drive. The update to 1803 build took several attempts this summer. The new external drive is recognised by Windows, but no discs (e.g. commercial music CDs, or new...
  10. Burning dvds

in Windows 10 Support
    Burning dvds: I have a movie downloaded on my laptop. I am using win10. I put dvd into the drive. I press burn dvd, but it does nothing. Also, the page stops responding. Thanks for your help. 51395