Windows 10: Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool

Discus and support Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello The tech I have been working with told me to download the WMC tool to help straighten out my W10 system. He said I will need a 6 gig flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ruko, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ruko Win User

Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool

Hello
    The tech I have been working with told me to download the WMC tool to help straighten out my W10 system. He said I will need a 6 gig flash drive. I downloaded the tool to another computer and it is only a 17 MBT .exe file? Why do I need a 6 gig flash drive for this download? Do I need to open it before running it in the sick computer?

Thanks

:)

ruko, Nov 9, 2017
  2. TaurArian Win User

Upgrade to Windows 10 failed and cannot go back. Stuck.

Create your own media for a fresh install:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

The media creation tool can be used to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 or to create a USB or DVD and install Windows 10 on a different PC.

TaurArian, Nov 9, 2017
  3. Problem upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

You can also use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO file and create the Windows 10 Installation Media to upgrade from your present Operating System

“Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool”

Windows 10 herunterladen

The media creation tool can be used to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 or to create a USB or DVD and install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Here’s a quick look at the steps to get Windows 10 installed on your PC using this tool.

These are the steps to expand at the link.

> Download the Tool.

> Run the Tool.

> If you choose to create Installation Media.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, Nov 9, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Repairing windows can be done directly from the Microsoft website without a Windows 10 iso flash drive.

Download Windows 10

Alternatively repairing can be performed using a bootable windows 10 iso.

If you prefer to keep an older version of Windows you will want to create a Windows 10 iso.
    The Windows version is regularly updated on the Microsoft website and the older versions are removed.
    If the computer's operating system becomes corrupted to where you cannot boot you will want a bootable windows 10 iso.
    For Windows 1607 the iso is 3.4 GB. The contents on the drive include:
    boot
    efi
    sources
    support
    autorun
    bootmgr
    setup

So you have the most flexibility with a flash drive.
    It can be used on multiple computers.
    It can be used when internet access is unavailable.
    It can be used to troubleshoot corrupted operating systems with unbootable computers.

These are some links on using the Windows 10 iso:
    1) In place upgrade repair:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    2) Clean install:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Nov 9, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    That's just a program to download windows and make a BOOT USB or DVD. Once it's downloaded it makes it bootable and can be used for repair or even clean installation.

CountMike, Nov 9, 2017
  6. ruko Win User
    Thank you for your response. I still am curious as to why I will need a 6 gig flash drive when the downloaded tool exe file is only 18 megabytes. What am I missing?

Thanks

ruko, Nov 9, 2017
  7. Hi,
    The tool creates a current iso file is why you need at lease 8gb stick if you want to create installation media.

ThrashZone, Nov 9, 2017
  8. ruko Win User

Thank you for your response. Still don't know why the literature and the Technician say I need a 6 gig flash drive but the downloaded tool file is only 18 megabytes. Will I need a windows 10 product key to run the creation tool? I don't have one because this computer was purchased as an "open box" item from Best Buy and they don't keep documentation for some strange reason.

Thanks

ruko, Nov 9, 2017
  9. Hi, Ruko, in two words - Media creation Tool is approx 17 MB, it downloads automatically Windows.iso file, which can be 3-4 GB. After that this iso file is converted to a bootable media - either for USB or DVD /dual layer/. Hence the name.
    If your computer came preinstalled with windows 10 your production key is embedded in the BIOS/UEFI - the new installation will use it automatically. For other cases I have no idea... *Huh

Ivan Petrov, Nov 9, 2017
  10. ruko Win User
    Thank you Ivan. How do I get my sick computer to boot from the USB port containing the MCTool?

Thanks

11. zbook New Member
    Open the BIOS > change the bios boot order so that the USB hard drive is on the top of the list.

zbook, Nov 10, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can't. You have to actually run the Media Creation Tool in order to create a USB flash drive that you can either:

Boot a computer from to do a clean install of Windows
    Or
    Use to repair or upgrade and existing installation of Windows with.

NavyLCDR, Nov 10, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

You do not change the boot order in the Bios, if you did it would boot from the usb stick over and over again.

You need to use the one time boot menu to choose the usb stick once, that's it.

@ruko, you are going to use the Download Tool to download the W10 Iso file (as already mentioned is 3 or 4 GB) during that process it will ask you if you want to put the Iso file on a usb stick or just save the Iso file, choose to put the Iso file on the USB stick, it will then prepare the USB stick for you and it will be ready to go. You are then going to use that usb to do a repair install by booting from the usb stick, using the one time boot menu key to bring up the boot menu to choose the usb stick.

That`s why your were told you need a 6 GB usb stick, but I don't know if there is a 6GB stick out there, a 4GB usually works, but sometimes the Iso file may be larger, if that's the case then you'll need an 8 GB, they are so cheap *Smile

The screen will show you which key to push when you 1st turn on the pc.

For example mine is F8, a lot of other PC`s use F8 also.

AddRAM, Nov 10, 2017
  14. ruko Win User
    Thanks to all. Appreciate the help. Have the program on a stick and will give it a shot later today.

15. If you haven't started, just search here or youtube for installing win 10 without usb drive. I've done it and it works just fine.

closeupman, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool - Similar Threads - Using Media Creation

2. WINDOWS 10 MEDIA CREATION TOOL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 MEDIA CREATION TOOL: Hi, I'm a user of Windows. I want to reinstall Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool to make the USB pen drive bootable. But, I don't want to remove the files saved in my PC. Instead of files, I want to remove apps and settings.My PC specifications:Manufacturer: DELLProcessor:...
  3. MEDIA CREATION TOOL WINDOWS 10

MEDIA CREATION TOOL WINDOWS 10: Hello dear Microsoft community, I have Windows 10 on my laptop and I want to download the iso file for Windows 10, so I downloaded the media creation tool to download the ISO file.. The problem is that my internet is slow and after 5 hours the download is at 60% and the media...
  4. problem using media creation tool

problem using media creation tool: I have tried unsuccessfully to create a windows 10 USB boot drive. I keep getting the following error: 0x0200013-0x90019. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-using-media-creation-tool/0f5bb36a-03bc-4d03-8d95-dcc215cc73a0
  5. Windows 10 License using Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 License using Media creation tool: Hi, I am using Thinkpad t560 with core i5 and 8GB Ram. This machine has builtin OS Windows 10. I am having some serious issues with my laptop. I tried to reinstall windows using reset pc settings as well as windows 10 update assistant tool, but the issue is persistent....
  6. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: I'm helping my boyfriend build a PC and he needs Windows 10. So I downloaded the media creation tool. I ran the tool and went through the steps to 'create the media' on a USB drive that is plugged into my laptop. it goes all the way through the loading process this takes a...
  7. windows 10 media creation tool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 media creation tool: were can i download windows 10 media creation tool https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-media-creation-tool/3c0c9877-366e-4705-b91d-bd15f854866d"
  8. windows 10 media creation tool

windows 10 media creation tool: I need to reinstall windows 10 home on my daughters laptop. The media creation tool only installs the pro version. How do I force it or get the windows 10 home?...
  9. Windows 10 - Media Creation Tool

Windows 10 - Media Creation Tool: Hi everyone, I'm trying to create a Windows 10 ISO file with media creation tool. I digged a little on the web about how can I accomplish that. I've read an answer at one of posts in this forum that it says: "The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will...
  10. Windows 10 media creation tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 media creation tool: Windows 10 media creation tool is still available after the Windows 10 free upgrading program closed? It is very useful to get the right copy of Windows 10 installer. Anyone who are working in Microsoft, please keep this function available all the time. Many thanks. 53503