Windows 10: Using Xonar DX DAC and an external headphone amp?

Discus and support Using Xonar DX DAC and an external headphone amp? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to use my Xonar DX sound card just as a DAC with my external headphone amp. My headphone amp (Cavalli Liquid Carbon) doesn't have TOSLINK... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Supra, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Supra Win User

Using Xonar DX DAC and an external headphone amp?

I'm trying to use my Xonar DX sound card just as a DAC with my external headphone amp. My headphone amp (Cavalli Liquid Carbon) doesn't have TOSLINK input, only RCA, 3.5mm and XLR. There is a 3.5mm to RCA cable, and I've plugged that into the line out jack but I'm not hearing anything I had to plug the 3.5mm into the 'front' headphone jack.

I was having problems getting the card to work again. It didn't seem to power up, but re-seating the power cable a couple times seems to have at least allowed me to install and open the driver. *sarc

I have the software setup like this

Using Xonar DX DAC and an external headphone amp? [​IMG]

:)

Supra, Jan 27, 2018

2. Use Windows Phone 7 with an external DAC/headphone amp

I know a number of audio nuts (I count myself among them). Unlike me, they use iPhones, connect the iPhone to a small, portable external unit that includes a USB DAC and headphone amp. Their headphones are then plugged into the external unit.

I currently use an external unit (USB DAC/headphone amp) with my laptop: Laptop USB out --> external USB DAC/headphone amp --> headphones. This bypasses the DAC built into the sound card of the laptop and dramtically improves sound quality.

Question: can I use an external USB DAC/headphone amp with the Windows Phone 7 using the micro USB out on the bottom of the phone to a mini USB in of my external unit? I am assuming using the 1/8" jack at the bottom of the phone next to the micro USB out
    would not bypass the internal.

Thanks.

flyfish2002, Jan 27, 2018
  3. Bcoop8 Win User
    Internal & External USB DAC

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I tried what you suggested, but I think we are talking about two different issues. My music plays just fine, that is not what I am having trouble with. This is hard to explain but I will try my best: A MP3 file usually goes
    from the hard drive-->the computer's integrated digital-to-analog converter(DAC)--->the computer's headphone socket-->my headphones.

What I am wanting is to get the MP3 to go from the hard drive-->USB Port-->external DAC(in my case it is the Fiio Alpen 2)-->headphone socket in the external DAC-->my headphones.

I am wanting to bypass my computer's integrated DAC entirely. Right now, I have the latter setup. However, when I adjust the computer's volume control, it still adjusts the music volume coming out of my headphones.

I want to make sure that the audio file is bypassing the computer's integrated DAC and not taking the following path: MP3 on the hard drive-->computer's integrated DAC-->USB Port-->External DAC-->Headphone socket on the external DAC-->my headphones.

Is there a way to check this?

Thank you for your help.

Bcoop8, Jan 27, 2018
  4. fireberd Win User

Is the Xonar set as the default audio playback device? If not, that could be the problem. (Windows only allows one default audio playback device).

fireberd, Jan 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Xonar DX DAC and an external headphone amp? - Similar Threads - Using Xonar DAC

2. DAC / AMP USB-device is ignored by windows 11 after every update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAC / AMP USB-device is ignored by windows 11 after every update: Hi, my DAC / AMP from ASUS, brand: Xonar essence 3 , always fails to be detected by windows 11 after an update. And it is getting harder and harder to get it to work again. I have of course searched the internet gets loads of other people having the same issue. So first...
  3. DAC / AMP USB-device is ignored by windows 11 after every update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DAC / AMP USB-device is ignored by windows 11 after every update: Hi, my DAC / AMP from ASUS, brand: Xonar essence 3 , always fails to be detected by windows 11 after an update. And it is getting harder and harder to get it to work again. I have of course searched the internet gets loads of other people having the same issue. So first...
  4. My audio is distorted after unplugging amp/dac

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My audio is distorted after unplugging amp/dac: So for context I have a soundblaster E1 amp/dac with all the drivers installed and I also a msi b450 tomahawk max motherboard with the basic audio drivers installedand also voicemeeter if that makes any difference Now I have my soundblaster E1 plugged into the front panel...
  5. Error Code 39 when installing usb device DAC/AMP SMSL M3

Error Code 39 when installing usb device DAC/AMP SMSL M3: Hi, when I was trying to install SMSL M3 on my Desktop the drivers can't be found by Windows and the error code 39 appears. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device several times but without success. What could I do? This is my Windows 10 version and build:...
  6. DAC, AMP and headphones not working from windows 10

DAC, AMP and headphones not working from windows 10: Hi there, I recently brought a windows XPS 15 2020 I around the same time brought some audio equipment I have a Schiit Modi 3 DAC and a Magni 3 Amplifier with a pair of beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones I have the amp and the dac connected by RAS cables and I have the DAC...
  7. O2 Dac/Amp + JBL LSR 305 distortion troubleshoot

O2 Dac/Amp + JBL LSR 305 distortion troubleshoot: Hi there, I've got an issue relating to my O2dac/amp (device) which was purchased sometime in 2015. Background: The device is used with a Sennheiser HD 650/ JBL LSR 305 and connected to my laptop via usb. I recently changed the setup and replaced the laptop with a brand new...
  8. USB audio output to external DAC

USB audio output to external DAC: Hi There, My USB audio driver is constantly dropping. I tried 100 different approach, nothing worked. Please help. Of course Intel NUC is connected to my Sony TV using HDMI and I wish to output audio via USB to my external DAC. Intel NUC8i5 all hardware driver updated...
  9. USB DAC/ Amp not Working Correctly After Windows Update

USB DAC/ Amp not Working Correctly After Windows Update: I downloaded the new windows update 2 days ago and since I did my Fiio Q1 Mark 2 hasn't been working right. Windows accepts it as my default device, it works with web browser, discord, and Fortnite but for everything else it doesn't work. I first noticed this trying to run...
  10. Old Creative Audigy Platinum EX vs Asus XOnar DX

Old Creative Audigy Platinum EX vs Asus XOnar DX: Hello As the title What should I use ? (gaming-movies-music) Is the old creative Audigy still worth to use ? Creative Audigy Platinum EX Creative Labs Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum eX review - CNET Asus Xonar DX Xonar DX | Sound Cards | ASUS Global...