Windows 10: Using XTS mode on USB Removable Flash Drives on Win7/8?

Discus and support Using XTS mode on USB Removable Flash Drives on Win7/8? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; From one the BitLocker tutorials below, Win10 uses the new XTS AES. My question is, if I use XTS-AES for Removable Flash Drives, will it also work on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Using XTS mode on USB Removable Flash Drives on Win7/8?

From one the BitLocker tutorials below, Win10 uses the new XTS AES.
    My question is, if I use XTS-AES for Removable Flash Drives, will it also work on older Windows OSs like Win7 and Win8?
    In case I need to access my USB flash drive running the XTS mode while I am on travel and need to insert it on my friends or family's PC running Win7 or Win8, will it work?
    Or, will I have to just set the encryption method setting for flash drives to CBC instead of XTS mode?

Windows 10 uses XTS-AES 128 bit by default for operating system drives as well as fixed data drives, and uses AES-CBC 128 bit by default for removable data drives.

:)

win10freak, Nov 5, 2016
  2. katinfoco Win User

Is the system backup for Windows 10 still identified as a Windows 7 task name?

still confused about system image (win7 terminology) vs recovery on usb (win10 terminology)...

we have 3 machines, some with win7, some with win10. which backup/restore/recovery/system image ???

program should I use to ensure that I have backups/restore/recovery/system image ??? available in case of pc failure?

the terms used in win7 and win10 are very confusing.

also, re win10, hate to use up a large flash drive just for a recovery in win10 (when creating a recovery in win10, it wipes out all other files on the flash drive).

Can I use the flash drive for other files? Or maybe revert back to the win7 backup and restore that does not wipe the flash drive??

katinfoco, Nov 5, 2016
  3. ChiefZeke Win User
    USB Mass Storage Device (Flash Drive) and three operating systems

Multiboot system: Win7 w/SP1, Win10 Build 14393.10 (upgraded 8.1), and Win10 Insider Preview Build 14393.10; all 64bit.

One major problem is that in Win10 Build 14393.10 (upgraded 8.1) no flash drive is recognized. This happens if I plug-in the device and boot or boot then plug-in the device. Booting with the device plugged-in: Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    > USB Mass Storage Device has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point included > Properties\General: This device cannot start. (Code 10) - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED. The Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon in the taskbar when right-clicked does
    not list the flash drive. If I remove the drive I do hear the 'disconnected device' sound and the item disappears from Device Manager. Plugging the drive back in reverses the process.

I can move this drive to another USB port - same problem. I can try different flash drive - same problem. I can reboot to either of the other operating systems and the drive is recognized using either method.

Uninstalling the device from Device Manager and rebooting has no effect - problem still exists.

If I check Properties the Driver Provider: Microsoft; Version: 10.0.14393.0; Date 21 Jun 06

Booting to Win7 or Insider Preview - the flash drive appears as expected; as do other flash drive plugged into various other USB ports.

I have reviewed many of the proposed 'fixes' posted here - none have worked; I'm open to other suggestions.

ChiefZeke, Nov 5, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Using XTS mode on USB Removable Flash Drives on Win7/8?

ARC1020, Nov 5, 2016
Thema:

Using XTS mode on USB Removable Flash Drives on Win7/8?

1. Using XTS mode on USB Removable Flash Drives on Win7/8? - Similar Threads - Using XTS mode

2. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  3. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  4. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB flash drive: How do you find the flash drive for windows 10? I have looked until I can't look anymore, and spent nearly 5 hours doing it to no avail. When I put in a flash drive with windows 7, a window used to come up, now it doesn't! I thought windows 10 was supposed to be easier but...
  5. Cannot use readyboost on a USB Flash Drive

Cannot use readyboost on a USB Flash Drive: I'm on a Windows 10 PC. I realized that I use quite a bit of my memory, so I decided to use a USB flash drive as a supplement. All the tutorials I see want me to use something in Windows called ReadyBoost. I plug in four different flash drives and ReadyBoost does not show in...
  6. usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb flash drive: I have a problem regarding my USB, [ATTACH]I can't see storage space and have formatted several times. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/8477fb10-4dc5-4265-97ca-392c395a972e
  7. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  8. USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Flash Drive: How do I back up my microsoft photos to the USB drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/a0206f3a-49e2-4d2e-80ce-566fe8aba1ba
  9. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  10. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...