Windows 10: Utility that not only SAVES desktop layout but actually RESTORES it?

Discus and support Utility that not only SAVES desktop layout but actually RESTORES it? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've tried several utilities that purport to save your desktop layout and restore it when something gets messed up. They all SAVE the layout (or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by djbaxter, Apr 12, 2017.

1. djbaxter Win User

Utility that not only SAVES desktop layout but actually RESTORES it?

I've tried several utilities that purport to save your desktop layout and restore it when something gets messed up.

They all SAVE the layout (or seem to).

The problem I have is that none of them successfully RESTORE a saved layout when you need it. Indeed, trying to use that feature doesn't appear to do anything.

Currently using Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Just had Windows install the latest updates so I'm assuming I probably now have the Creators Edition.

Can anyone recommend a GOOD utility that actually works to restore the icon size and layout when Windows manages to jumble them?

:)

djbaxter, Apr 12, 2017

2. How do I save and restore my desktop icon positions in Windows 10?

The way to do it as of today is to use a 3rd party utility and there are several free ones.

Check these :

DesktopOK - Free - Save and restore the positions of the Windows Desktop Icons.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Deskt...

Desktop Restore - Free

MIDIOX

Info

Desktop Icon Save and Restore

--------------------

Lock Desktop Icons Position and Disable Right Click

http://www.techmynd.com/lock-desktop-icons-posi...

Save And Restore The Position Of Desktop Icons In Windows

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/save-...

Easy Way To Restore And Keep Desktop Icon Layout In Windows

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/easy-...

Please let us know the results.

SpiritX MS MVP, Apr 12, 2017
  3. Desk top Icon Manager-Win Tidy

Hi,

These should help : (also works on Windows 10)

Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista - Free

Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista

TIP : Right Click Desktop - VIEW - uncheck AutoArrange and Align to Grid when you want to restore the icons or the restore will not work. You can recheck those as needed afterwards and apply the Align to Grid before the Auto-Arrange.

-------------

Desktop Restore - Free

MIDIOX

Info

Desktop Icon Save and Restore

--------------------

Lock Desktop Icons Position and Disable Right Click

http://www.techmynd.com/lock-desktop-icons-position-and-disable-right-click/

Easy Way To Restore And Keep Desktop Icon Layout In Windows

Easy Way To Restore & Keep Desktop Icon Layout In Windows 7

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Apr 12, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

DesktopOK, Download DesktopOK - MajorGeeks saved me few times when windows was playing tricks on me. You can even save few layouts and switch between them.

CountMike, Apr 12, 2017
  5. djbaxter Win User
    That was one of the ones I tried.

Didn't work for me to restore and it caused file explorer to crash frequently.

djbaxter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Utility that not only SAVES desktop layout but actually RESTORES it? - Similar Threads - Utility SAVES desktop

2. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving or locking desktop icons layout: Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop icons layout will help me. But in the "lock solution" the layout should not be automatic, it must stay locked as I had...
  3. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving or locking desktop icons layout: Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop icons layout will help me. But in the "lock solution" the layout should not be automatic, it must stay locked as I had...
  4. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to Save restore desktop icons position

How to Save restore desktop icons position: How to Save restore desktop icons position https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-save-restore-desktop-icons-position/2bdc389e-d970-4621-a3a6-5643dfee1343
  6. desktop layout

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop layout: Microsoft support helped get windows 10 to update. When it completed my desktop has changed. I have visual problems and i can't find all the familiar items. The layout is different, the colors are very vibrant and hard for me to see. How can i get everything to go back the...
  7. Save desktop (win+tab) and window layout

Save desktop (win+tab) and window layout: i would like to save all window sizes and position also wich windows/programms are open, so i can just open everything i need by pressing 1 or two buttons instead of reopening everything from scratch. maybe even save different windows/programm layouts on differen "desktop...
  8. save workspace/desktop layout

in Windows 10 Support
    save workspace/desktop layout: would be nice to open something and just have a lot of my productivity apps open the way I want them to on the desktop 126962
  9. Is it possible to save/restore a layout (of apps, etc.) used alot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible to save/restore a layout (of apps, etc.) used alot?: For example, I boot up. A lot of times I'll use split screens for a: code editor, web browser (or two), Photoshop, and say an instance of Windows Media Player for video. Is there anything out there that will allow me to pull these programs up in their initial positions to...
  10. Saving Multiple Desktop Layouts

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Multiple Desktop Layouts: I've created 5 "Desktop" screens setup for use between 3 monitors. For example: I have Chrome open in "Desktop 1" on Monitor 1. I have Microsoft Edge & Photoshop open on Monitor 2 on "Desktop 1". And lastly, on "Desktop 1" I have my Gmail inbox open on Monitor 3. Now...