Windows 10: uTorrent Running Out Of Memory

Discus and support uTorrent Running Out Of Memory in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I'm using a validated copy of Windows 10 and I was using uTorrent today and suddenly I got a message that it ran out of memory. I've used uTorrent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sithtiger, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Sithtiger Win User

uTorrent Running Out Of Memory

Hi, I'm using a validated copy of Windows 10 and I was using uTorrent today and suddenly I got a message that it ran out of memory. I've used uTorrent with Windows 10 quite a few times with no problem whatsoever. I tried deleting the torrent and then I tried another one. It was a little large at 3.5gb, so I tried another file around that same range, and it did the same thing. I've tried rebooting, I've tried changing the virtual memory and I get the same thing.

When you open up Task Manager, it shows the memory slowly shoot up to about 1.5GB and it just stops responding and then shuts down. I have 16GB of RAM, but I don't understand why all of sudden, it started shutting down.

As of right now, it seems to be OK, but I d/led uTorrent Portable and I still don't know if it's going to work, because before that I tried d/ling Bittorrent and it did the same thing. Bittorrent looks exactly like uTorrent, I think uTorrent owns Bittorrent or vice versa. Anyway, I have no idea what the problem is. I've never had this issue before.

:)

Sithtiger, Aug 17, 2015
  2. Hussein A Win User

Windows acting strangely and semi-locks up.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

But it turned out the solution was much simpler. Once I removed utorrent from the startup list the problem went away. As long as I don't use utorrent, the system runs just fine.

Hussein A, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Shilohbob Win User
    Disk and memory running really high on minimal load (windows 10)

According to your Task Manager, the apps used for torrent are the ones using up your memory;

Webhelper (2), uTorrent

;another app using up memory is Dropbox.

I am not anti uTorrent, but if it is used be aware of it memory requirements.

Dropbox is also a app that can use a fair amount of memory.

What anti-virus & browser are you using

Shilohbob, Aug 17, 2015
  4. poods Win User

Did you find a solution for this issue? My machine has the exact same issue that started this morning. I have plenty of ram as well at 32GB.

poods, Aug 17, 2015
  5. Sithtiger Win User
    Nope, still having same problem! Ya know, this sounds a little suspicious. The reason I say that is because MS just made a statement saying that Windows 10 can stop 'illegal' software if they want to. Now, uTorrent isn't illegal, but MS just might have issued some patch that did this. I'm gonna look at Windows 10 updates and try uninstalling anything in the last two days and see if that helps. It shouldn't but on purpose or not, an update just might be responsible for this. I'll report back and see if that helps or not, if there is an update. I'll install utorrent on another Windows 10 machine too and see if I have that same problem.

I was going to just format and reinstall and I still may, but I think there might be a large chance it will happen again. One other thing is on Task Manager, I've noticed that the download speed says uTorrent is downloading much faster than uTorrent itself actually downloads. I don't know if this is abnormal or not but I'm thinking so.

Sithtiger, Aug 18, 2015
  6. eplfan Win User
    I'd be interested to see how you go with this.

I am having the same issue too. It just seemed to start today but I hadn't tried a large (>4GB) torrent under Win10 since I upgraded. It's shut itself down 3 times so far but I only got the Out of Memory error the first time. After that it just stopped silently and I didn't notice at the time.

For the last while I've have Task Manager open looking at the memory. It hasn't shut down again, but I can definitely see the memory climbing (highest peak was about 800MB, but average peaks about 450MB) then all of a sudden between refreshes it drops right down to about 180MB and then starts climbing again. This makes me think that there may be a memory leak somewhere when for some reason it doesn't release the memory but just climbs until it eventually dies.

If this is the case we might just have to wait until it gets fixed in an update.

UPDATE: after some experimentation I think I've discovered the story. As soon as I minimized the uTorrent window the memory usage just kept climbing and never dropped. As soon as I maximized it again the memory dropped right back immediately and stayed steady. The suspicious side of me might conclude that this is a deliberate ploy to keep those ads on screen, or it could just be a simple coding problem when minimizing. Anyway it wasn't consistent so it's hard to say. All I know is if I keep the window up, then I no longer get the problem. Might be time to change clients...

eplfan, Aug 18, 2015
  7. Sithtiger Win User
    I think I have good news guys. I downloaded uTorrent Pro 3.4.3 build 40907 and it seems to be working....for now. I got it from Kickass Torrents. I'm not sure why this is working and it may stop, because the same thing happened last night for a few minutes with uTorrent portable; however, this has been working for hours with no problems (knock on wood).

I tried uninstalling the latest Windows 10 update that I downloaded on the 16th and it didn't do anything. I've since then, reinstalled it and it seems to be working for now. That might change at any moment, but when I had limited success with uTorrent portable, that was only for a few minutes. This seems to be working.

One other thing that I just noticed. It appears that there is a brand new update, but I can't say for sure, because I didn't look at the update ID, but it appears to be new. It says downloaded on the 19th, which is today, so that might be it. I would try that first and then if that doesn't work, try the cracked uTorrent Pro version that I'm using currently. Please post here to let me know if it's the update or not.

There is one more thing I came across that seemed interesting. I read on Engadget that the new Preview build of Windows 10 has much better memory management. I thought that was a little odd considering what we are experiencing; although, I only noticed this problem with uTorrent and nothing else, so maybe it's nothing. Still, maybe they implemented that memory management update. I don't know if you can post links here or not, but you can Google it and the title says "Microsoft Shows Off First Windows Preview Since Release".

I'll mark solved when I know if this is stable or not, or find out if it's the update. Just please post here if you find out it's the update or another solution.

Sithtiger, Aug 18, 2015
  8. poods Win User

poods, Aug 18, 2015
  9. Sithtiger Win User

Sithtiger, Aug 19, 2015
  10. poods Win User
    I did not try it. I had been trying uTorrent and Bittorrent throughout the day with no luck. The downloaded version Pro 3.4.3 build 40907 one is still working today with no issue.

poods, Aug 19, 2015
  11. eplfan Win User
    I agree - this version has also been working fine for me.

eplfan, Aug 20, 2015
  12. Sithtiger Win User
    Hmmm.....Ok, well....that's good enough for me. The Pro version is still working with no problems whatsoever, so I'm gonna say, this one is Solved. So, once again, if you're having the issue of uTorrent running out of memory, you'll want to try using uTorrent Pro 3.4.3 build 40907. This version is the cracked version I found on Kickass Torrents. I imagine, the problem will be fixed by either uTorrent or Microsoft at some point in the near future, but for now, the Pro version I'm using seems to work with not only, me, but others here too.

Sithtiger, Aug 20, 2015
  13. uTorrent Running Out Of Memory

Ok, prob did not catch ya in time for that format/install to solve that.
    Sorry just joined, in fact found your post a few minutes ago to solve same issue.
    2000pro, XP Pro, 7, 8.1, 10 don't matter. Every flavor of rpm/deb LXOS don't matter. Trust me.
    All Kava/Krash codecs/add-ons as with all Mucked-up-zola, Chrony based browsers really suck now a days
    without hard azz config file(s) edits to bring back to reality.
    Java, Flash, Mozilla, Chrome, ect. Gotta know how to take a joke I guess.
    It aint the OS fault at all.
    Think about the US national interstate road system as the OS platform.
    Vehicles of yester-year that were simple, robust, configurable, cool & proficient.? Remember.?
    Many vehicles currently can't hardly be worked on without particular instruments/tools because of the engineers "need" to keep busy "improving" otherwise they'd lose their jobs, & their wives would stop bending over for 'em. hahaha
    Great for folks like geek squad or apple store pros hahaha what a joke. But, regular folks get screwed.
    Thing to do is switch brands/stores/suppliers/ect. F#@k 'em.
    MSOS doers try basic/minimum KDE for Windows install with Konqueror for browser offline (explorer) & online.
    And switch to bit tornado. Pretty simple. Why spend time/money/effort on crap that you do not receive rent/mortage/food/clothes on your back for.?
    First and possibility my only posting here, I may get lotz of complaints/booted. Maybe not.
    Good day.

MSOSLinuxOS, Oct 30, 2015
  14. Sithtiger Win User
    Thanks for the reply, but I figured out the problem a little while ago. It was Nvidia's Windows 10 driver. The issue affected a couple of their driver updates actually. They've fixed the issue with every driver since. The 358.50 driver is the most current as of this post and I've encountered no problems since my original post. I'm not sure if I posted this, but after my initial post, I had the same memory issue with Battlefield 4, but again that's been fixed a bit ago.

You're right though about browsers being more complex, so there are other issues with them.....usually applying to Adobe in some way....extensions no longer being supported...etc.

Sithtiger, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. uTorrent Running Out Of Memory - Similar Threads - uTorrent Running Memory

2. 32gig running out of memory with 20gig not in use.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    32gig running out of memory with 20gig not in use.: I have a windows 11 PC. If I run several large apps and open and close them a few times I'll eventually run out of memory. I understand the memory management intention to allow software to open faster by keeping a part of memory as a cache for recent objects but the...
  3. 32gig running out of memory with 20gig not in use.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32gig running out of memory with 20gig not in use.: I have a windows 11 PC. If I run several large apps and open and close them a few times I'll eventually run out of memory. I understand the memory management intention to allow software to open faster by keeping a part of memory as a cache for recent objects but the...
  4. Windows not allowing uTorrent to run

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not allowing uTorrent to run: I seem to be in a bit of conundrum here. Every time I start uTorrent, I get a notification of "Potentially unwanted app found" but I get no option anywhere to allow it to run. My only option seems to be to go straight to Reputation based protection and completely turn...
  5. Virtual memory keeps running out

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Virtual memory keeps running out: My PC has 32GB of memory and I've never had an issue with virtual memory in the past. I'm now running out of virtual memory every few days which seems to be caused by the commit size for searchindexer.exe constantly increasing. I noted today when I ran out of VM that the...
  6. uTorrent not installing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    uTorrent not installing.: I downloaded uTorrent setup file from https://www.utorrent.com/downloads/win and I did not download uTorrent web. I downloaded the right file. Then I run the setup and it asked me "Do you want to allow changes to your computer" and I clicked Yes. After that it showed a load...
  7. uTorrent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    uTorrent: Hi! I've been trying to install uTorrent but it just crashes at the final step of installation. I've never encountered this problem before and I think it is happening because I tried to install uTorrent web. But also I was not able to find any traces of uTorrent web in my...
  8. BSOD after running uTorrent

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after running uTorrent: Attachment 42671 I think it's unrelated, but I'm not really sure. 26308
  9. High Memory usage when using Utorrent

High Memory usage when using Utorrent: When I am using Utorrent my RAM usage grows from around 20% to nearly 100% over a few hours and can eventually freeze the PC. This seems to have started happening from the last Preview releases until now. Windows defender and Malwarebytes could be part of the problem. When...
  10. Running out of memory since Anniversary update

Running out of memory since Anniversary update: When I play DDO, I also have chrome and Explorer open. This was never a problem until the anniversary update. Now I get screen messages saying I need to close something because I am running out of memory. Task manager shows memory usage at 89 - 91%. Even after I closed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. utorrent windows running out of memory

2. windows ran out of memory utorrent

3. utorrent running out of memory windows 10

4. utorrent out of memory,
  5. utorrent run out of memory