Windows 10: UWP browser for portrait browsing with forced mobile user agent

Discus and support UWP browser for portrait browsing with forced mobile user agent in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Good day! This is solely for touch based portrait browsing on a Windows tablet. Edge works how I want in 50% of the cases because a lot of sites are... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mertzi, Mar 27, 2016.

1. mertzi Win User

UWP browser for portrait browsing with forced mobile user agent

Good day!

This is solely for touch based portrait browsing on a Windows tablet. Edge works how I want in 50% of the cases because a lot of sites are responsive and you just have to zoom to a certain level to get the site to go from desktop adaption to mobile. But this does not apply to one single Google related site (probably intentional from Google). I'll take YouTube as an example. On my Android tablet I get this nice mobile oriented layout (N.B. this is NOT the YouTube app but m.youtube.com in a browser)

UWP browser for portrait browsing with forced mobile user agent [​IMG]

A nice, one column structure with no sidescrolling possible at all. On my Windows tablet going to m.youtube.com or the non mobile URL in Edge only gives me the desktop version. Even if I zoom to 1000% it does not change. I do not prefer to watch videos in portrait mode if that's what you think, but this applies to anything google related, search, translate, you name it. Using these in portrait mode is not a good experience. Can Edge, or some other UWP browser, force a strict mobile user agent?

If you do feel the urge to let me know how inferior my Windows usage is or how stupid this question is, please go ahead if that makes you feel better about yourself, but I'll appreciate anything constructive.

:)

mertzi, Mar 27, 2016
  2. twozero3 Win User

IMDB on E6 - normal not mobile version of web pages

I'll second that.

A solution to your problem is to install the Opera Mobile for Symbian browser. Overall it is vastly superior to the default Nokia browser anyway.

Being forced to mobile versions of websites, even if you specifically enter the URL of the main website, is really the fault of a badly written website. A well written website will detect a mobile device and provide you with a link to a mobile version of
    the site but not forcibly redirect you to it.

Anyway, Opera Mobile has an advanced user option to change the browser user agent from "mobile" to spoof that of a "desktop". This makes it fairly successful (not always 100%) at getting around forced redirects to mobile versions of websites.

twozero3, Mar 27, 2016
  3. TDonoho Win User
    Can't see text in form fields in IE

Browser: Microsoft IE Mobile

Platform: WinCE

User Agent OS: Windows CE (Pocket PC) - Version 5.2

CPU class: ARM

Version: MR2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

Minor Version: 7.11

User Agent: 8900b/MR2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

User Language: en-us

System Language: en-us

Any form field, any website. The letters do show up when the phone is closed (portrait mode), but when it is open (landscape) they disappear.

TDonoho, Mar 27, 2016
Thema:

UWP browser for portrait browsing with forced mobile user agent

1. UWP browser for portrait browsing with forced mobile user agent - Similar Threads - UWP browser portrait

2. Microsoft DLNA user agent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft DLNA user agent: Hi there,I have a question regarding the Microsoft-DLNA DLNADOC/1.50 User-Agent. I am monitoring network traffic in my environment and I have noticed repeated requests of the following nature:"GET /icon_sample.jpg HTTP/1.1 Connection: Keep-Alive User-Agent: User-Agent:...
  3. Microsoft DLNA user agent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft DLNA user agent: Hi there,I have a question regarding the Microsoft-DLNA DLNADOC/1.50 User-Agent. I am monitoring network traffic in my environment and I have noticed repeated requests of the following nature:"GET /icon_sample.jpg HTTP/1.1 Connection: Keep-Alive User-Agent: User-Agent:...
  4. Microsoft DLNA user agent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER: Hello, I am not able to browse the specific web server using Edge browser, though it works using Google Chrome from the same PC. i ahve checked following already and could conclude the resason. " dns " is set to " automatic " on the network property NSLOOKUP givne the correct...
  6. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER: Hello, I am not able to browse the specific web server using Edge browser, though it works using Google Chrome from the same PC. i ahve checked following already and could conclude the resason. " dns " is set to " automatic " on the network property NSLOOKUP givne the correct...
  7. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. UWP on Windows 10 Mobile

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    UWP on Windows 10 Mobile: I heard that MS will end support for the Windows 10 Mobile, and somehow will no longer support online apps and MS Store in Windows 10 Mobile, so will Universal Windows Platform no longer support Windows 10 Mobiles (since I use Visual Studio to develop UWP apps)?...
  9. Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser: Hi there All those who are worried about Edge / IE11 sending stuff to GOOGLE / MS etc etc -- simply use the TOR browser -- 100% legal FREE system. You can also block properly annoying popups etc even when connecting to "Those sites". There's loads of paranoia these days...
  10. Skype UWP for Windows 10 Mobile leaks

in Windows 10 News
    Skype UWP for Windows 10 Mobile leaks: Skype UWP for Windows 10 Mobile leaks [img] Few months ago, we gave you the first look at Skype UWP for Windows 10 PCs and Mobile. Recently, the app has been released for Windows 10 PCs by Microsoft for those in the Insider preview. As you may know, the app isn’t...