Windows 10: Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Discus and support Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mikepaterson, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium.

Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen, there is no "Skip" option and as the valid product key is not deemed valid by the upgrade I have to cancel the installation.

I have repeated the upgrade about 3 or 4 times using both the usb I used for my own installs, and also downloading the upgrade tool on his laptop and downloading the upgrade package locally and installing from there.

The same result, no Skip option, and no acceptance of the valid license key.

Any ideas please? There does not even seem to be a way to contact Microsoft about this.

Cheers
    Mike

:)

mikepaterson, Aug 10, 2015
  2. denmarfl Win User

Windows 10 Free Upgrade will not accept my Windows 7 Product Key as Valid

Notified Windows 10 Upgrade was ready to install...ran it. On Startup it wants the Microsoft Product Key. Didn't see that coming, all info I read on the Upgrade process nothing ever mentioned about having your Product key available to complete Upgrade.
    I would have thought that would have been verified during the scanning process to validate my device as having a Valid Product Key.

I entered my Win7 Product Key and its shows it as not a Valid Key. Can't be, I took it right off the Win7 Package Win7 came in. It showing if not validate w/i 30 days the OS will stop running.

My research shows some user updating from Win8 to Win are also reporting this same issue (and with Win8....no one has a Product Key as it is built-in and hidden in BOIS of the Device.

Is Microsoft aware of this issue? It may be only isolated cases where this is happening but none the less...its real. My Valid key is not working......its has to be a Microsoft issue......

denmarfl, Aug 10, 2015
  3. denmarfl Win User
    Windows 10 Free Upgrade will not accept my Windows 7 Product Key as Valid

Notified Windows 10 Upgrade was ready to install...ran it. On Startup it wants the Microsoft Product Key. Didn't see that coming, all info I read on the Upgrade process nothing ever mentioned about having your Product key available to complete Upgrade.
    I would have thought that would have been verified during the scanning process to validate my device as having a Valid Product Key.

I entered my Win7 Product Key and its shows it as not a Valid Key. Can't be, I took it right off the Win7 Package Win7 came in. It showing if not validate w/i 30 days the OS will stop running.

My research shows some user updating from Win8 to Win are also reporting this same issue (and with Win8....no one has a Product Key as it is built-in and hidden in BOIS of the Device.

Is Microsoft aware of this issue? It may be only isolated cases where this is happening but none the less...its real. My Valid key is not working......its has to be a Microsoft issue......

denmarfl, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

paulsalter, Aug 10, 2015
  5. Hi Paul
    Thanks for your kind reply.

Yes the laptop was fully up to date (after about 2 days and 20 restarts!) with the Get Windows 10 icon displayed.

I had actually tried Option 2 as suggested - using the local method and also using the iso on a bootable usb.

Both these methods caused the issue described *Sad

Cheers
    Mike

Regards
    Mike

mikepaterson, Aug 10, 2015
  6. this is a bit more fiddly, but I did this on one of my machines, it was 8.1 so not sure if 7 is exactly the same

I copied the install.esd file from the windows.~bt folder that the update creates
    then followed these steps to create the ISO
    ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

once that was created I ran the setup in it from inside windows
    it didn't prompt me for any key, not even a box for one, it just upgraded my machine to 10

paulsalter, Aug 10, 2015
  7. I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 desktop PC with the Media Creation Tool. I used the "Upgrade this PC now" option. I don't remember being prompted for a key though? If I was, skip must have worked, I was able to do the upgrade. On a clean install after that I was prompted for a key and was able to use the skip option.

alphanumeric, Aug 10, 2015
  8. me75006 Win User

Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

recheck to see what version of windows your neighbor is running, and make sure that you only use the correct Win 10 version.
    no 32 bit on a 64 bit machine
    no Home version on a Win7 Pro version
    etc.

me75006, Aug 10, 2015
  9. Very good point. If its 7 Home Premium, and your trying to upgrade to 10 Pro, that may be the issue. The Upgrade This PC now option I mentioned above will install the correct version automatically.

10. Ztruker Win User
    Run winver from a elevated command prompt on the Win 7 computer, what does it tell you.
    Should be something like this:
    Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade [​IMG]

Then you'll know for sure what version you are upgrading.

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2015
  11. ram1220 Win User
    I am having the same problem upgrading a friend's Win 7 PC. He has the same Win 7 version that I had. I used the same thumb drive on my computer to upgrade my PC to Win 10. No problems there. My friend's upgrade gets to the same screen asking for a activation number. There is no skip option available. I posted this to let the OP know he is not alone with this problem. If anyone has a fix please let us know.

ram1220, Aug 10, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    Are you booting from the media? Or are you running setup.exe from the mounted ISO?

Can you tell us what you are doing in EXACT detail? Don't be vague, describe each step you take exactly.

Mystere, Aug 10, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I think there is probably something going wrong with the upgrade that won't allow Windows 10 to activate once it is upgraded if it is even asking for a key... but, you can try this:
    Install Windows 8.1 without a Product Key | PCsteps.com

It would be a very interesting survey to know how many people who have activation problems after upgrade were asked for a key during the upgrade and how many weren't. I've upgraded 7 computers via all the options available and have not had a single one even ask for a key to be entered and all of mine have activated with no problems. I am willing to bet that if the upgrade is even asking for a key there will be activation problems after the upgrade - if the upgrade was started from within the old operating system and not from a DVD or USB that was used to boot with.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  14. I did all my upgrades via the Media Creation Tool's "Upgrade this PC now" option. Wasn't prompted for a key. One was windows 7 OEM and the others 8.1 Retail.

15. Me too. Worked flawlessly. Both 8.1

Torquemada, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Valid Win7 Product

2. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  3. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  4. Product key Validation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Product key Validation: Have had this PC for ages & all of a sudden after turning on today a msg appears in the bottom right corner "This copy of windows is not genuine",Windows7 build 7601. In the System prop where your product Key is Activate Windows. The problem is why after using this PC...
  5. Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have had my desktop upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. I cannot connect to the internet now. I use Satellite NBN. Also use a wireless router for the laptop. Laptop connects fine also running W10 I have direct connected to BB modem with ethernet cable shows...
  6. Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key not accepted: I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work"....
  7. product key valid?

product key valid?: f I purchase Windows 7 how long is the product key valid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-valid/8fab35f1-2e59-4602-b007-b12c0799488f"
  8. Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message

Installation unable to validate product key. Trying to upgrade win7 to win10 errror message: Im trying to upgrade from win 7 to win10 getting error message: Installation unable to validate product key Thank you... [Moved from: Windows 10 / Licensing & activation]...
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key

Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key: Good morning all, I am trying to upgrade one of our Laptops in our lab to Windows 10 Pro. It currently has Windows 7 Pro on it, and when I attempt to use the DVD copy I burned I am getting the dreaded "Setup has failed to validate the product key". I went back to my...
  10. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10: I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this several times - I have the original disk & label, checked the key is correct via Belarc Advisor, have a message from Microsoft...