Windows 10: Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

Discus and support Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working ) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I keep getting this symptom from time to time , it fixes with windows updates but then occasionally come back . I have a list of advertising and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

Hi I keep getting this symptom from time to time , it fixes with windows updates but then occasionally come back .

I have a list of advertising and malware websites that I filter through hosts file that are often used by a chat client as per the chat client community recommendations .

Now I noticed that there comes time when the file becomes vanilla afterwards (ignored) and all the filtered sites are accessible via browsers again and appearing in chat client .

There were 2 suggested tricks I came across back when that happened that weren't guaranteed to fix the issue but did sometimes :
    1 - Renaming the file to Hosts then back to hosts
    2 - running ipconfig /flushdns command in an elevated prompt

Those lately became non helpful at all though .

I have a VPN installed on my system named Hotspotshield (Only available option for my region) , I highly suspect it to be the cause but i managed to stop its service but the problem remained .

-Edit-
    I uninstalled Hotspotshield but still that didn't solve the issue .

And btw yes dism and sfc run without problems since i did recently an in-place upgrade using media creation tools .

Anything i haven't thought of ?

-Edit 2-
    I found a work around , I found that owner was SYSTEM , when I took ownership to be my account it became functional again , now any idea why that worked/happens ?

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Dec 28, 2017
  2. Spigolo Win User

File Hosts permissions

You're totally right ZigZag.

This is the exact message I receive.

Etc folder security properties show nothing set for Administrators group.

Thank you.

Spigolo, Dec 28, 2017
  3. File Hosts permissions

I appreciate all the information.

We suggest that you create a new user on the same computer to check if the issue will persist. If not, it's possible that the affected user account is corrupted. An SFC scan is recommended to
    help you scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do this, click on this link

Let us know how it goes.

Jhessica Sur, Dec 28, 2017
  4. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

Hotspot shield had some government issues a small while back so could be something to do with that. Some people were reporting "funny things" happening after it was updated. Some found it was removed and others found it all of a sudden was set as a virus.

kingtez1984, Dec 28, 2017
  5. Well I just managed to uninstall it for a test , that didnt solve the issue still .

nIGHTmAYOR, Dec 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    It certainly looks like some third-party app is the cause. I can confirm it doesn't happen on a 'purely-Microsoft' install of Windows 10.

7. Cliff S New Member
    I don't understand how any app(other than one specifically for host file) can change it?
    I mean, it is in System32....
    And the only way to change it, is with admin privileges.

By access I mean make changes!

Cliff S, Dec 28, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

From the OP it appears Hosts is not being changed, rather it is being ignored....

9. Cliff S New Member
    I read it as "changing to vanilla" as it reverts back to the standard:
    After he has set something like mine:

Cliff S, Dec 28, 2017
  10. no the hosts file don't change , its just ignored correct .

nIGHTmAYOR, Dec 28, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Dec 28, 2017
  12. I found a work around , I found that owner was SYSTEM , when I took ownership to be my account it became functional again , now any idea why that happens ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

1. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working ) - Similar Threads - Vanilla hosts file

2. host file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    host file: hi there i am trying to edit or add line in host file, long time ago since i did it and when i did there was lot of lines in there, i tried or looked last night could not see anything except this am i missing something please can somebody help and advise me please...
  3. host file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    host file: hi there i am trying to edit or add line in host file, long time ago since i did it and when i did there was lot of lines in there, i tried or looked last night could not see anything except this am i missing something please can somebody help and advise me please...
  4. Host File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Host File: Im trying to block toxic sites that i just unheathly go to, by setting this up of what i found of a way to block, and then i was going to turn me to standard and have my friend be admin but for someone reason it still saids i dont have permission. what am i doing wrong iv...
  5. Host File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Host File: Im trying to block toxic sites that i just unheathly go to, by setting this up of what i found of a way to block, and then i was going to turn me to standard and have my friend be admin but for someone reason it still saids i dont have permission. what am i doing wrong iv...
  6. Hosts File Not Working Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Hosts File Not Working Firefox: Hello again, My hosts file will only block sites in Edge, not in Firefox. Can't be right. Any ideas ? Windows 10 1909 Regards 159949
  7. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hosts file: Greetings, I have my hosts file that’s corrupted and can’t open with notepad and tried to give permission but there’s nothing to add or grant it’s empty I tired to use a software to unlock it and says cannot find path windows/system32/drivers/etc I’ve tried to boot in safe...
  8. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hosts file: How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default? pls Is This good? 30362
  9. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: should the Hosts file be made read only ? 51243
  10. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: I am embarrassed that I forgot on change from Windows 7 to 10 I forgot until now to remember that only the sample Hosts file was installed. Now I cannot recall where the more comprehensive version came from or how to install it. Please advise me. 97081