Windows 10: Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault

Discus and support Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I've recently built a new computer, and everything seemed to be working fine up until a few weeks ago when I got a BSOD - okay no biggie... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by courageouscoos, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault

Hi there,

I've recently built a new computer, and everything seemed to be working fine up until a few weeks ago when I got a BSOD - okay no biggie I'll look it up and, oh, a different BSOD. This was the beginning. Since then I can't seem to use my computer for long periods, or play games (intensive and not intensive, doesn't seem to matter which).

I tried to see if it was my graphics card, so I ran Furmark and OCCT, both of which said it's absolutely fine, but I did a clean install of my AMD drivers just in case, unfortunately this didn't solve the problem.

I also stressed the CPU and PSU using OCCT, which also returned negative.

I then decided to use MemTest, and left that running for 14 passes (overnight), and again no negatives.

Frustrated I decided to get a BSOD dump viewer, "Blue Screen View" which showed me that every single BSOD had been related to the ntoskrnl.exe (ntoskrnl.exe+ 142760).

I tried using driver verifier both on 'all drivers' and specifically on this ntoskrnl.exe, but apart from giving me Driver Violation Detected BSODs, it didn't seem to help me much at all because I'd no idea how to chase up the results.

Here's a list of BSODs I can remember getting since the issue started:
    • Page fault in non-paged area
    • IRQL not less or equal
    • Memory management
    • Bad pool header
    • Special pool detected memory corruption
    • Driver verifier detected violation

I'm really running short on ideas here as I've no idea how to proceed in tracking down the problem.

And so, I turn to you guys for help - please find attached the dump zip as requested in the sticky. And please let me know if there is any more information I can provide that would help you in helping me.

Thanks in advance!

:)

courageouscoos, Jan 2, 2016

2. Suddenly getting lots of BSODs

Update:

I found a dmp file for the BSOD that happened about 30 minutes ago and it said that it was a fault in the ntoskrnl.exe driver. I'm still not sure how to fix this though.

Jacob Nixon, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Lots of BSOD's

PS: after my previous/last replie i had 3 more BSOD's:

seems like there are a lot of random once...

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT win32kbase.sys

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ntoskrnl.exe

ntoskrnl.exe

florian de graef, Jan 2, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault

Hi courageouscoos,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Have you checked the memory compatibility of your mainboard?
    It doesn't look like the module is supported by your mainboard.
    ASRock > H170M-ITX/ac
    Code: [Physical Memory Array (Type 16) - Length 23 - Handle 000eh] Location 03h - SystemBoard/Motherboard Use 03h - System Memory Memory Error Correction 03h - None Maximum Capacity 33554432KB Memory Error Inf Handle [Not Provided] Number of Memory Devices 2 [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 000fh] Physical Memory Array Handle 000eh Memory Error Info Handle [Not Provided] Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 8192MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator ChannelA-DIMM0 Bank Locator BANK 0 Memory Type 1ah - Specification Reserved Type Detail 0080h - Synchronous Speed 2133MHz Manufacturer Kingston Serial Number Asset Tag Number Part Number 9905625-029.A00G[/quote]

axe0, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Thanks for the reply, axe0!

I've just compared the part # given my the retailer (KVR21N15D8/8) for the module and according to that list it's supported, so I don't think that was the issue.

Fortunately however I believe I may have fixed the issue by updating my BIOS to the latest version - I checked the manufacturer's site and saw that some of the BIOS updates improved DRAM compatibility.

That was a quick and painless process, and after running games on my PC (which would usually fail to halted graphics or a BSOD, so pretty easy to replicate) for a while, it looks like everything's running sound.

I also (though it may be unrelated) realised that I had no driver installed for my 'ethernet controller', and so I went and got one of those too (Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V).

Since it took me absolutely ages searching the net about this issue to even find a hint of a suggestion to update my BIOS, if someone is experiencing similar problems perhaps this is the solution.

Note however that I haven't tested this exhaustively as I've only recently updated the BIOS, but for now all seems normal.

courageouscoos, Jan 3, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Let me know how it goes *Smile

It is kinda strange, my given part number is not the same as your part number.
    When you open the case, what does it say on the module?

axe0, Jan 3, 2016
  7. Everything's going fine still, but I'm obviously not counting my chickens before they've hatched, so to speak.

I'll reply to this soon (likely tomorrow) with what the RAM says on the actual module (I suppose it'd be good to know, regardless of whether the issue is solved), I've got a mini ITX case and understandably it'll be a bit of an effort to look inside!

courageouscoos, Jan 3, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Take the time you need, there is no rush *Smile

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Various BSODs - ntoskrnl.exe seems to be at fault - Similar Threads - Various BSODs ntoskrnl

2. Fault - Bluescreen, Ntoskrnl, IRQL not equal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fault - Bluescreen, Ntoskrnl, IRQL not equal: Hello,I'm somewhat confused as to why I'm continually being dealt a Blue Screen of Death. Generally when something is running that requires a bit of oomph, can be a game or whatever, the system seems to hold steady for a few hours - but not always. However, if I start up the...
  3. ntoskrnl BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntoskrnl BSOD: Hello, I have quite a persistent problem here.I often get BSOD or straight out system restarts the latter don't have any trace in minidump. In the past few days, they were too recurrent and got to a point where I had to reinstall Windows because my laptop actually got slowed...
  4. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: KUKutter_UKFirstly, I would like to say that I am posting this again because after having an instant reply from an 'Andrew', and posting my dmp files as requested on July 24th I haven't heard anything back since! I have responded a couple of times but nothing is happening to...
  5. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: Hi there, My new machine around 8 months old now runs perfectly most of the time. Uptime 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NO issues at all - I am a heavy PC user: Gaming, Audio Work and some 3D modelling, so my machine goes through its paces.Every now and then on boot, I get the error...
  6. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  7. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  8. BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault

BSOD seemingly caused by hardware fault: Hi Guys, Been battling with a BSOD for a while that according to blue screen viewer is being caused by hal.dll. Traced this to mean some sort of hardware error so have tried cleaning out PC to eliminate and heat issues and run memory tests a couple of times which have...
  9. BSOD various ntoskrnl

BSOD various ntoskrnl: Hi guys! Made a fresh Win10 install with just basic software (Like whocrashed) I have tried using the Guru3Ds tool to remove all traces of old video card drivers and installed the newest ones without any extra software or bloatware. Have ran Memtest for 24 hours without a...
  10. Bsod ntoskrnl

Bsod ntoskrnl: Hi guys, Any help would be massively appreciated. My computer is BSOD at least two times a day. As far as I can tell, all drivers are up to date including Nvidia. Could somebody take a look at the attached and let me know if you find anything? I've ran a system check...
Tags: