Windows 10: Various questions involving ssd's. motherboard and installing win 10.

Discus and support Various questions involving ssd's. motherboard and installing win 10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Alright I am thinking of getting my 1st ssd, Now according to a program my motherboard has a max of sata 600 (sata 3 iirc), However all it shows in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scyris, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Scyris Win User

Various questions involving ssd's. motherboard and installing win 10.

Alright I am thinking of getting my 1st ssd, Now according to a program my motherboard has a max of sata 600 (sata 3 iirc), However all it shows in the program is a s-150 and a s-300 port open, would I assume the s-600 (sata3) port is the one my current hdd is plugged into?

Next if I wanted to install a ssd, could I just take the cord out of the current HDD plug it into the ssd for the sata3 functionality, then just plug my old hdd into another sata port? Anwyay to find out exactly what sata type my current hdd is plugged into? Then again even the ssd in a sata 1 or 2 port would blow away a standart mechanical drive in performance I bet.

Finally for installing win 10, would I just pop in the dvd I burned when I have the new ssd set as the C-drive in bios? (and change the other hdd to D.). Which cd-key would I use, my win7 one since it was a upgrade to win10? or is there someway to find my windows 10 cd-key they assigned me and use that when I reinstall? skipping the instalation of windows 7 entirely. Any setup tips I should know of? also, yes I know never to defrag a SSD, its pointless and just eats write cycles stupidly.

This is the SSD I am thinking of getting: SAMSUNG 250GB 850 EVO SATA3... MZ-75E250B/AM from Mike's Computer Shop > Hard Drives & Storage > HDD-Conventional/Magnetic my storage drive will be 1.5 tb and I'll put pretty much anything other than games, windows and programs on it. or rather i'll just keep the stuff thats on it now since it has all that. I usually only have a few games installed at a time so a 250 gig SSD would be more than sufficent for my needs.

I forgot to ask, if I don't have a proper mount for the ssd, can I just sit it on a piece of wood or something?

As always thanks everyone and merry x-mas.

:)

Scyris, Dec 25, 2015
  2. aakkam22 Win User

Upgrading motherboard soon, questions involving reinstalling windows 10

Your best path of action would be to install Windows 8.1 from your old disk and then upgrade to Windows 10. You'll be able to activate Windows 8.1 fine as long as it's a retail license.

aakkam22, Dec 25, 2015
  3. TomPinkin Win User
    New motherboard, CPU SSD drives and fresh Win 10 Home install.

My old motherboard with Win 10 Pro (upgraded from 7) died and I just replaced it with a new motherboard, processor (AMD), new M12 SSD, new SATA SSD and fresh install of new Win 10 Home on the M12 SSD. I also have two SATA HDD drives installed from the
    original configuration with all of my original installed programs. Will I have to reinstall all of the original programs or can I edit the registry to point to the HDD location and run the original programs?

TomPinkin, Dec 25, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    I'll answer this part of your post.
    If the computer was upgraded from a qualifying OS, and currently shows "activated", then you can download the latest ISO and install without a key. Your activation is a "digital entitlement", and you can reinstall W10 as often as you like/need, no key required. Just remember, changing your motherboard or processor will require a new key, as it's considered a new system when you do that.
    Just FYI: If you were still running W7, and wanted to go straight to W10 with your new SSD, you could use the W7 key for activation now.
    For key info, see here:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Dec 25, 2015
  5. Scyris Win User
    Ok well that answers that question now for the other two.

Scyris, Dec 25, 2015
  6. KACI Win User
    You can mount an ssd any number of ways. A mounting kit is probably the best and they really don't cost much. I've seen where some have use double sided tape or even Velcro strips. If it's in a case that doesn't get moved around it can just be laid somewhere. They r light and take up very little room.

As as for which port, you do want to use the sata3 port to get the most out of it. Plug your hhd into the sata2 port. You won't see that much difference and when you compare it to the ssd it would seem slow regardless of the port it's plugged into.

KACI, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Various questions involving ssd's. motherboard and installing win 10. - Similar Threads - Various questions involving

2. Question/s involving Raid 0 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question/s involving Raid 0 and Windows 10: Okay~ Six years ago I bought an Alienware M17x. It came with 2x 750 GB drives configured in RAID 0. I literally didn't know this until yesterday when I yanked the hard drives out of the laptop. I built a new computer for gaming, a first for me, and put my hard drives into...
  3. Various BSOD on Windows 10 install replaced motherboard and SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Various BSOD on Windows 10 install replaced motherboard and SSD: Hi everyone, having a multitude of BSOD problems. Issues started a few weeks ago when I started getting a netio.sys BSOD but different stop codes e.g. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. Weirdly it seemed to happen when I was installing games from the...
  4. Installing New SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  5. Constant and various BSOD involving ntoskrnl.exe

Constant and various BSOD involving ntoskrnl.exe: OS: Win 10 x64; CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ; graphics: Intel HD 630, NVIDIA GTX 1060. For about a year I have had lots of crashes when I do something that makes intensive use of the graphic card. I haven't identified any particular condition that triggers the crashes. Usually,...
  6. Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question.: When i go to disk management all i see is NTFS file system , my SSD no longer shows , is this normal ? 17490
  7. Various BSOD after fresh win 10 install

Various BSOD after fresh win 10 install: Hello everyone, I am having a huge problem since 4 days with my desktop PC. I had windows 8.1 running and had lots of different BSODs. I then decided to format my SSD (128GB) and install fresh windows 10. At the beginning (first hours) everything was running fine. I...
  8. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  9. Win 10 clean install question

Win 10 clean install question: I fudged up and forgot to @ the person I was intending the message at *chuckle Still worth adding my observations though while we're comparing Macrium vs. MS imaging. MS does do high compression, but only for DVD. Macrium wins hands-down on flexibility and giving the user...
  10. Win 10 to SSD No free install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 to SSD No free install: Hello, I am running an unauthorized version of Win 7 64 in my PC. I have two sata hard drives using Casper to clone. I am buying a Samsung 2.5-Inch 500 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive. I want to buy Windows Ten and install it, and most of my Apps on the SSD, keeping everything...