Windows 10: version 1511 update adds 10 GB hard drive space used...

Discus and support version 1511 update adds 10 GB hard drive space used... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just upgraded my Win 10 machine to "Threshold-2" version 1511. All went smoothly! But it added 10GB to the hard drive storage used. I presume this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by camner, Jan 5, 2016.

1. camner Win User

version 1511 update adds 10 GB hard drive space used...

I just upgraded my Win 10 machine to "Threshold-2" version 1511. All went smoothly! But it added 10GB to the hard drive storage used.

I presume this is due to the ability to "roll back" to the prior version (I have no Restore Points because that feature is disabled).

If I'm willing to commit to version 1511 and do not need to preserve the ability to roll back, is there a way to reclaim this space? I know one way is to do a "reset," but that wipes all my apps, requiring a reinstall, which is a pain. Is there a better/easier way?

:)

camner, Jan 5, 2016

2. trying to complete Windows 10 home, ver 1511, 10586 update.

My Windows PC doesn't have enough internal drive C space to complete the update to version 1511, 10586. I have Windows 10 installed now, but not the update to 1511, 10586. The Windows update screen gets about 41% done and then pops up a window saying 7.94
    GB of space on C drive is needed. Then it shows two options: 1. use Disk Cleanup to free up space or 2. Choose another drive with 10 GB available. I have an external Elements drive attached and it has 57 GB free space. I choose refresh but the "Windows
    needs more space" window doesn't change. It shows "you need 7.92 GB on drive C:\. Why doesn't it use the space on the Elements external drive?

David ESmith, Jan 5, 2016
  3. cloudx_23 Win User
    Moving files from laptop hard drive to external hard drive make copies in recycle bin.

I don't what's happening with my hard drive and recycle bin but everytime I'm moving files from computer HD into external HD it always make sure recycle bin has copies of them like .mp3, .m4a, photos etc. and I was surprised that the hard drive has about
    113 GB free of space out of 439 GB. Is this after I installed the latest update? This is Windows 10 version 1511 OS Build 10586.29. I've tried to delete the system restore and they all went to recycle bin and eat up a lot of space in my hard drive. Now my
    hard drive has 71 GB free space. **** is going on Microsoft?! Please help me. My laptop has never been slower like this. Thanks.

cloudx_23, Jan 5, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

As I understand it Win10 1511 10586 is more or less an upgrade over 10240 and as such there may be a Windows.old Folder on your HDD. Four of my computers had that after the same Folder left over from Win7 and Win8.1 were deleted. Might try disk cleanup, may get rid of it. Or simply wait 32 days to see if it automatically deleted.

Berton, Jan 5, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Jan 5, 2016
  6. camner Win User
    Worked like a charm! Thanks!

camner, Jan 5, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Wonderful.
    Just for personal interest.............
    Which of the 3 methods did you use ?

davidhk, Jan 5, 2016
  8. camner Win User

I used method number 1. But before doing so, I looked to see if there was a Windows.old folder at the C: drive root and found that there was, so if method 1 failed, I was prepared....

camner, Jan 5, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Thank you for the follow-up.

Happy computing.

davidhk, Jan 5, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    I know this has been marked Solved but thought I'd add an updated experience. I just set up a new computer and after doing updates overnight see it is now at 10586.36 and shows the Windows.old Folder on the HDD. This computer came with Win10, never had an older version, so the process does do somewhat of an Upgrade which created that Folder.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. version 1511 update adds 10 GB hard drive space used... - Similar Threads - version 1511 update

2. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  3. OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space: Why is OneDrive taking up space on my hard drive? The storage info says OneDrive is using 33 GB. I needed a new computer and bought one a few months ago. Had to get one with 128 GB because computers were sold out everywhere. I figured that since I have OneDrive, only the apps...
  4. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive space: My C: Drive is Highlighted,+but full,and i cannot add anything to it.... I have an E: Drive that shows over 931 GB of space,but it is Grey-Not highlighted...seems to be dormant....How do i activate it/add to it ? Thanks John R....
  5. Used Hard Drive Space does not match

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Used Hard Drive Space does not match: my c: drive says I've used 192G... when I select all folders and click properties its says I've used 80.1 G. How do I fix? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Hard drive used space varies greatly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive used space varies greatly: Yesterday I had 64gb+ of a 128gb hard drive free and now I have 57 and I have not installed. I have run every cleanup program, command line that I can find and it does not have any effect on it; also cleaned out SoftwareDistribution folder, all upgrade files were removed long...
  7. Windows 10 update version 1511 to version 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update version 1511 to version 1803: I have a Dell D620. Originally it was on XP then updated to Windows 7. It would only update to Win 10 version 1511. I lost the hours of attempting to update, always failed. Today I got it to Windows 10 Version 1803. This is what I did. 1. Formatted the drive and re-installed...
  8. Hard Drive Space Used Bar Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard Drive Space Used Bar Color: Greetings, I am going to abuse your good nature again! I am attempting to create a green theme in Windows 10. I am progressing rather well (background, Start10, explorer windows, etc). I have read a number of resources which show how to change hard drive icons. However,...
  9. Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511: Hello all. Running windows 10 pro 64 bit. I've updated from Version 1511 to the anniversary update, 1607. Or at least, I thought I did. The update went well, no hiccups, no errors. Used windows update, let it downloaded and install and rebooted. Alas, system...
  10. Factory reset... now missing 40+ GB of hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory reset... now missing 40+ GB of hard drive space?: Good evening everyone! So, I just got finished doing a nice fresh factory reset as Windows did some updates and my computer run slower than molasses in January. After it was done, I had some 60-70 (out of 118) GB of free space on my SSD. Short story shorter I had to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows upxate adds 10gb to inztall