Windows 10: Version 1703 Install Needs More RAM Disk

Discus and support Version 1703 Install Needs More RAM Disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since I have a custom assembled PC, I thought I'd wait until Microsoft prompted me for the 1703 update. So I waited until today, when I got the nod to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by websquad, Jul 28, 2017.

1. websquad Win User

Version 1703 Install Needs More RAM Disk

Since I have a custom assembled PC, I thought I'd wait until Microsoft prompted me for the 1703 update. So I waited until today, when I got the nod to proceed.

The download went without a hitch, as did the "Prepare for Update" step. I then clicked for a reboot, and very early in that process (after the BIOS startup phase) got an error message that said that I had insufficient memory for a RAM disk.

Here are my specifications:
    > Current OS Version: 1607 Windows 10 Pro
    > CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad
    > Installed RAM: 8 GB
    > Storage: two SSD's and four rotating disks
    > Drive C (SSD): 131GB used, 98GB free
    > RAM usage from Task Manager as I type this: 30% used, 70% free (e.g., 5.6GB free)

Fortunately, it gave me a couple of ways out of the installation error condition. One was to start all over. I did, but got the same result. Another was to reboot using another OS: I did, and got back to Windows 10 Pro version 1607. I tried starting the update process all over from scratch, and got the same result.

I just looked at Settings > Update & Security, and got this message: There were problems downloading some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0x8024a105)

What do I do next?

PS: I have three other Windows 10 computers, and updated all three to 1703 without a hitch!

:)

websquad, Jul 28, 2017
  2. SJCPR Win User

DISM restore health fail error 605 - 0x8007025d in the log file

HP model P7-1280t

intel i7-2600 cPU3.4Ghz

16G of ram

64 bits win 10 version 1703 build 15063.608

disk is 1 TB brand new

hope this help

SJCPR, Jul 28, 2017
  3. My PC is using too much RAM but not to much "disk" and is very slow

RAM is way faster than disk. You want your PC to be utilizing RAM instead of performing I/O to the disk. Windows is a virtual memory operating system. It will use as much physical memory as it can (which is a good thing) and use disk for memory only if
    it runs out of RAM. If more address space is needed, WIndows will move some things to the hard drive to make more space available in RAM.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Jul 28, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

The clue is insufficient memory for a RAM disk. some were along the line something is trying to create a ram disk and its the problem you have plenty of ram for normal use I un it on one pc with just 2 gig run this and see if we cansee whats trying to create this disk

Please download and save FRST 64bit or FRST 32 bit to your Desktop.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe

Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    Make sure that Addition option is checked.
    Press Scan button.
    It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
    Please copy and paste log back .
    The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe).

Samuria, Jul 28, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would create an empty 32GB or so new partition. Do a clean install of Windows 10 v. 1703 to it. If you have the same problem then it is a hardware or UEFI setting problem. If the clean install goes OK then you have a software problem with the original Windows 10 installation.

NavyLCDR, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    What I do not get is...

1.) why direct you to Google the error?

...and

2.) why an error code rather than the description?

I would like to know if MS support even has a clue what that error code represents.

Superfly, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    The only memory-related issues I've received have involved Tablets with only 32GB drive capacity and not enough free space. I've added 64GB MicroSDXC cards to gain that space. The Tablets have 1GB RAM for 32-bit and 2GB RAM for 64-bit versions of Win10. But then that's always been a problem with memory terminology, storage versus volatile. I've never seen anything pop up about a RAM Disk, haven't even created one in several years or versions of Windows.

Berton, Jul 28, 2017
  8. MCK
    mck Win User

When I updated my laptop to ver 1703, the first time failed (didn't note an error code). I had initiated the update via Settings > Update & Security. But I had just initiated the update after having done some web browsing on that laptop.

So I did a shutdown and a power on boot. Using the same procedure, the second time worked successfully. Don't know if the reboot was the fix.

If you still have problems, maybe try going into task manager > startup tab and disabling everything will prevent background programs from using ram. After the update, re-enable everything again.

You could also unplug everything from your PC, remove all plug-in cards (except graphics card if your motherboard does not have built-in graphics controller) and run bare bones. Then try the 1703 update.

Just some things to try.

Thema:

1. Version 1703 Install Needs More RAM Disk - Similar Threads - Version 1703 Install

2. More RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    More RAM: Is there an way to get more RAM? or optimize it for Gaming? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-ram/6563cc3a-a01c-462b-8e34-ae450b6503c6
  3. need more storage and disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need more storage and disk space: I am having trouble getting windows 10 downloaded becuz of not having enough space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-more-storage-and-disk-space/5eb28f2b-e81a-4093-8a24-2b60aaeac93f
  4. Installing more ram to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing more ram to windows 10: How can more ram be installed to windows 10 laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-more-ram-to-windows-10/773506b3-f920-4b68-8f1e-bda11366eaaa
  5. Installing more ram

Installing more ram: I am trying to upgrade my ram. I had 6 mg total a 4 and a 2 ,I purchased a new 4mg but when I installed it I get a screen that says preparing automatic repair the a screen that says PC ran into problem and needs to restart. We will restart. This cycle just continues time...
  6. Laptop needs more ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop needs more ram: Hello. I have a laptop. It is the dell inspiron 15 3000 series. I want to upgrade my RAM from 4 to 6 or 8 but I heard that I might have problems with windos 10. Could I change it and if yes, Could you give me some sugrstions?...
  7. I need Ram-Disk advice .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I need Ram-Disk advice .: My system specs are below. I guess the available ram is whats needed ? 8 GB total, 7 usable . I want to try two things : 1. Set up my Browsers, Chrome and Edge, to save their browsing files to the Ram Disk . 2. Run my Drawing application on the Ram-disk so that its...
  8. More ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    More ram: hi,guys I have a dell inspiron m5040 laptop, it seems to load web pages a bit on the slow side, I note its using 4 GB of ram at the moment, I believe I can add a further 4 GB of ram, do you guys think the upgrade to a total of 8 GB of ram would load web pages faster, thanks...
  9. Is version 1703 stable enough for clean installation?

Is version 1703 stable enough for clean installation?: So I done a manual upgrade to the Creators Update a few days ago but appear to have a corrupted user profile/s and possibly even a corrupted upgrade installation. I'm not sure what to do, I could transfer user files to a new user profile but it may be more trouble than...
  10. Stuck on version 1703

Stuck on version 1703: Hello! I am new here and thank you for any support. Well, my Windows 10 is stucked on version 1703 build 15063.138 and as an Insider I've receiving the updates but it always fail. Right now it tried to install Windows 10 Insider Preview 16179.1000 (rs_prerelease) but...