Windows 10: Very high disk usage not attributed to any task in Task Manager

Discus and support Very high disk usage not attributed to any task in Task Manager in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a machine whose disk is nearly always running at 99-100% usage (according to Task Manager) even though no individual tasks appear to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ricecrispies, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Very high disk usage not attributed to any task in Task Manager

I have a machine whose disk is nearly always running at 99-100% usage (according to Task Manager) even though no individual tasks appear to be responsible. For instance there might be three tasks running at 0.1MB/s and the rest at 0MB/s, but the disk (a 7200GB 3.5 inch one) is still at its limit and the responsiveness of my desktop is still very poor. Does anyone have an explanation for this and (hopefully) a solution?

:)

ricecrispies, Jan 14, 2017

2. pc performance suffered after storing it for 2 weeks

Hi Jerpai,

Is the PC connected to the internet? When you go into task manager > performance are the disk usage and network or wifi usage very high?

Can you post a picture of task manager (can use snipping tool click on start and write snipp and launch tool to make picture of the task manager)

Let me know,

David

DavidMonpen, Jan 14, 2017
  3. Fan Runs Constantly on Sony Vaio Laptop After Upgrade to Windows 10

Hi,

If the fan is running continously,then I owuld suggest you to check the Task manager to see if any service/process is consuming more resources. Right-click on the start button and then select task manager. See if any CPU usage, Memory usage or Disk usage
    is high. If yes, then check under that coulmn for process that is consuming more resources. If it is any third party application or not a system criticalprocess, right click and select 'End process' to check if that makes any changes.

Bennet Martin, Jan 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Very high disk usage not attributed to any task in Task Manager

Hi, try Process Explorer (free) - easy to find- which gives a more comprehensive view.

Also make sure the actual data transfer rate is appropriate. Some hardware issues can give rise to very low transfer rates which may cause this sort of problem.

You can test the disk if, for example, you boot from a bootable medium rather than Windows in your case as you have this problem presently, such as Kyhi's bootable DVD/flash drive available from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

Also try using the Resource Monitor (link at the bottom of the task manager/performance tab)

dalchina, Jan 14, 2017
  5. Thanks for the sensible suggestions. The problem seems to have quietened down now of its own accord, so I guess the cause will remain a mystery until the next time it happens.

ricecrispies, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Very high disk usage not attributed to any task in Task Manager

1. Very high disk usage not attributed to any task in Task Manager - Similar Threads - Very high disk

2. How to fix Very High Power Usage in Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix Very High Power Usage in Task Manager?: Very High power usage by 'system' is causing my laptop to overheat. Also my cursor slows down every now and then which I think is due to some performance issue....
  3. How to fix Very High Power Usage in Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix Very High Power Usage in Task Manager?: Very High power usage by 'system' is causing my laptop to overheat. Also my cursor slows down every now and then which I think is due to some performance issue....
  4. Lower disk usage in task manager, too high. Update driver firmware? 100% disk; task...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lower disk usage in task manager, too high. Update driver firmware? 100% disk; task...: Having too high disk usage too consistently results in slow computer performance eg: apps takes awhile to open, this is not normal, plz fix it. I have tried >5 methods to fix the issue. I do not remember all of the methods I have fulfilled but when you give a method, I will...
  5. Lower disk usage in task manager, too high. Update driver firmware? 100% disk; task...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lower disk usage in task manager, too high. Update driver firmware? 100% disk; task...: Hi, having high 100% disk usage too consistently results in slow computer performance eg: apps takes awhile to open, this is not normal, plz fix it. I tried >5 methods to fix the issue. I do not remember all of the methods I have tried but when you give a method, I will tell...
  6. Task manager usage high

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager usage high: i usually dont check this stuff but i checked today, the disk is constantly high above 60, sometimes stuck on 100. Even when i open google chrome only, let alone playing games. Help submitted by /u/Catanddogg [link] [comments]...
  7. 100% Disk Usage in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk Usage in Task Manager: Hi people of the r/windows 10 subreddit. I've had this problem for about a week now where the disk usage is at 100% constantly in the task manager. After a few minutes it goes down a bit but when I launch an app it almost instantly goes back to 100%. I tried a lot of fixes...
  8. "Very High" power usage in the Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Very High" power usage in the Task Manager: Hello! Under Task Manager, under the column "Power Usage", I often get "Very High" usage for my browser and for mbam. What does "Very High" usage mean? Assuming the standard would be 35% or so for example, would it mean it's using ~80% power a browser could normally use in...
  9. Disk usage 100 % in task Manager

Disk usage 100 % in task Manager: my disk usage in task manger reaches to 100 % in very short intervals and the system become unresponsive. this problem is from day 1 in my system. I have read lots of solution on internet but nothing helps. Now I have final done a reset of windows by formatting complete...
  10. Disk Usage in task manager

Disk Usage in task manager: Task manager shows "100% disk" most of the time. Have tied all posted remedies but nothing works. Any "good" suggestions? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-in-task-manager/35dcb7c2-2be9-4f90-b85e-a1c1103362b8