Windows 10: Very high temporary memory usage when doing right-click Properties

Discus and support Very high temporary memory usage when doing right-click Properties in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have an odd problem, and I'm not sure when it started (my system did not used to behave this way). When I do a right click on a file and select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bergnerm, Jun 28, 2017.

1. bergnerm Win User

Very high temporary memory usage when doing right-click Properties

I have an odd problem, and I'm not sure when it started (my system did not used to behave this way). When I do a right click on a file and select properties, it takes about 30 seconds to display the file properties.

Using the Resource Monitor, I see that during this 30 sec., a dllhost.exe process is launched that gradually ramps up to a working set of over 13 GB of memory, then gradually ramps back down, and then finally, the properties window is displayed.

This same odd delay also started happening when I launch WinZip... with the WinZip64.exe doing the same sort of ramp-up/ramp-down of the memory working set. Few other application launches create this delay or exhibit these symptoms. Any guesses as to what might be happening here?

:)

bergnerm, Jun 28, 2017
  2. MSuser89 Win User

very high cpu and memory usage when playing games

very high cpu and memory usage when playing games. I have recently change mobo and cpu.

MSuser89, Jun 28, 2017
  3. Antimalware Service Executable How To Fix

Antimalware High Memory Usage Please Help I Cant My Games Right When There's Another Program That Keeps Eating My Memory

jorgejhoel, Jun 28, 2017
  4. Hydrate Win User

Can you please post a screenshot of the dllhost.exe and it's file properties, the one that absorbs 13 GB of ram?

dllhost is responsible for Component Object Models and handles application queues and process handles among a few things.

This sounds like it may be a corrupted system component.

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  5. bergnerm Win User
    Thanks for your initial assessment, but the sfc /scannow indicates that there are no integrity violations. And the dllhost.exe appears to be properly digitally signed.

Very high temporary memory usage when doing right-click Properties [​IMG]

bergnerm, Jun 29, 2017
  6. Hydrate Win User
    Very well.

This rules out individual file corruption, can you try to boot into safe mode and see if the right click memory usage overflow occurs when you repeat the same process that causes memory overflow?

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  7. bergnerm Win User
    I appreciate your help Hydrate.

I rebooted in safe mode (minimalist), and the same symptoms are present. I also discovered that explorer is exhibiting this same behavior when starting up--but this doesn't happen with every application. For example, Chrome starts up without a hitch.

Also, if I do a right click and "Properties" on My Computer, it does not exhibit this behavior.

A very odd problem indeed... anything else I could look at to try to pin down the culprit?

Tnx,
    Mark

bergnerm, Jun 29, 2017
  8. Hydrate Win User

I want to run a preliminary scan on your system before we proceed to working on it. Log in to your regular system and :

Open PowerShell and Run As Admin:

Code: sfc /scannow & Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth & Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth & Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth[/quote] Now post the results and see if the issue persists in normal mode.

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  9. bergnerm Win User
    I ran the ps commands... same results. I also did a pretty thorough disk cleaning and tidied up some directories with huge numbers of files in it, thinking that might be a cause.

Didn't fix it--same results. I'm trying to see if there's any other disk/network activity accompanying the ramping up of RAM usage, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary there... maybe I can focus in on the threads when I open WinZip to see what's going on... I don't know what else to look for. Are there any log files that might tell me what's going on?

bergnerm, Jun 29, 2017
  10. bergnerm Win User
    I used procexp to try to find out a bit more about what is going on.

When WinZip is starting up, it looks like the following thread is the one chewing up all of the CPU:

clr.dll!GetPrivateContextsPerfCounters+ox10af0

When I'm doing a right-mouse properties activity, it looks like the following thread is the culprit:

shell32.dll!SHGetItemFromObject+0xae0

Here's a stack dump from that thread:

ntdll.dll!RtlGetCurrentServiceSessionId+0x44a3
    ntdll.dll!RtlGetCurrentServiceSessionId+0x3944
    ntdll.dll!RtlGetCurrentServiceSessionId+0x239a
    ntdll.dll!RtlFreeHeap+0x41d
    ntdll.dll!RtlQueryHeapInformation+0x17db
    ntdll.dll!RtlQueryHeapInformation+0x1767
    ntdll.dll!RtlFreeHeap+0x373
    tishell64.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x1a7b4
    tishell64.dll!DllGetClassObject+0xdf8f
    tishell64.dll!ProcessTibUrl+0x22e79
    tishell64.dll!ProcessTibUrl+0x236d9
    tishell64.dll!ProcessTibUrl+0x2364e
    tishell64.dll+0x1cd86
    tishell64.dll+0x1db88
    combase.dll!CoGetClassObject+0x3e44
    combase.dll!CoGetStandardMarshal+0xa6fd
    combase.dll!CoGetClassObject+0x44e1
    combase.dll!CoGetClassObject+0x34c2
    combase.dll!CoGetClassObject+0x3560
    combase.dll!CoGetClassObject+0x36b3
    combase.dll!CoGetClassObject+0x38bb
    combase.dll!CoGetStandardMarshal+0xa73b
    combase.dll!Ordinal153+0x4d2a
    combase.dll!CoGetStandardMarshal+0xa707
    combase.dll!RoActivateInstance+0x884d
    combase.dll!RoActivateInstance+0x90ab
    combase.dll!CoCreateInstance+0xc3
    shell32.dll!SHELL32_LookupBackIconIndex+0x2942
    shell32.dll!SHELL32_IconOverlayManagerInit+0x217f
    shell32.dll!SHELL32_IconOverlayManagerInit+0x1ed0
    shell32.dll!SHELL32_IconOverlayManagerInit+0xe33
    shell32.dll!SHELL32_IconOverlayManagerInit+0x14df
    shell32.dll!SHELL32_IconOverlayManagerInit+0x1001
    shell32.dll!SHELL32_IconOverlayManagerInit+0x88
    windows.storage.dll!NeverProvidedByJunction+0x16a58
    windows.storage.dll!NeverProvidedByJunction+0xe87b
    windows.storage.dll!NeverProvidedByJunction+0x1c6d
    shell32.dll!StrStrW+0x74382
    shell32.dll!SHGetFileInfoW+0x169
    shell32.dll!Ordinal888+0xdec
    shell32.dll!SHOpenPropSheetW+0x47c
    shell32.dll!Ordinal888+0x912
    shell32.dll!Ordinal888+0x522
    shell32.dll!SHGetItemFromObject+0x1a5e
    shell32.dll!SHGetItemFromObject+0x1436
    shell32.dll!SHGetItemFromObject+0xae9
    KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x14
    ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

This doesn't seem to be going in a direction I have the skills to deal with...

bergnerm, Jun 29, 2017
  11. Hydrate Win User
    This seems to be connected to an issue from MP4 thumbnail previews, causing dllhost.exe to amp its memory usage from a loop.

Please enter PowerShell once more and uninstall this update if it's available - first close all application and save your work, this will restart the box once its complete:

Code: wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2670838 /quiet /forcerestart[/quote] Test dllhost.exe and see if it still persists.

If the update is not available, please let me know and we will proceed to another option.

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  12. bergnerm Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, Hydrate. I followed your suggestion and still no luck.

I tried a couple of other things too. I disabled thumbnail view, and the problem persisted. I tried creating a new user account. When I log into the new user account, everything works fine... no problem--so it doesn't seem like it's a system-rooted problem. I looked at some of the log files too, but again, I'm kind of lost in knowing what to look for and how to interpret it.

bergnerm, Jun 30, 2017
  13. Hydrate Win User

Let me clarify, in a new user account, the dllhost.exe issue does not exist?

Hydrate, Jun 30, 2017
  14. bergnerm Win User
    After trying a number of things over the past few weeks, I finally did something that solved it... the fix was one of these three things, but I'm not sure which:

Uninstalled Acronis 2017 (I'll reinstall it and see if the problem returns)
    Updated Visual Studio Community 2017
    Ran subinacl.msi to reset proper ACLs on system folders

Wow... tricky one to solve!

bergnerm, Jul 7, 2017
  15. Hydrate Win User
    Wow, well, if we can get specifics let us know about this issue further, most likely an issue with ACLs.

Hydrate, Jul 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Very high temporary memory usage when doing right-click Properties - Similar Threads - Very high temporary

2. Very high memory usage in Windows 11 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very high memory usage in Windows 11 22H2: I have a Windows 11 22H2 10.0.22621.675 installation that is consuming all the RAM just sitting idle. It's a virtual machine on a QNAP TVS-872XT running QuTS 5.0.0.2120, with Virtualization Station 3.6.39. I'm using pass through for the CPU with 4 cores i5-8400T 6 core and...
  3. Very high memory usage in Windows 11 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very high memory usage in Windows 11 22H2: I have a Windows 11 22H2 10.0.22621.675 installation that is consuming all the RAM just sitting idle. It's a virtual machine on a QNAP TVS-872XT running QuTS 5.0.0.2120, with Virtualization Station 3.6.39. I'm using pass through for the CPU with 4 cores i5-8400T 6 core and...
  4. Very high dwm memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very high dwm memory usage: How do I fix this problem of DWM getting high usage of RAM whenever I leave my laptop hanging for awhile.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-high-dwm-memory-usage/cea2b371-9373-4183-9a95-f09a4072e800
  5. Vmmem CPU and memory usage are very high

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Vmmem CPU and memory usage are very high: Hi. My laptop is a Dell i7 with 16M running on Windows is 10 Home Edition uptodated, which is constantly overwhelmed by this one process vmmem, which consumes, on a regular basis, 6-7MB of RAM, but it escalates up to 12MB and I just can't tell why. This issue started very...
  6. Very high memory usage, no programs open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very high memory usage, no programs open: Task manager claims that 95% or more of my ram is being used, but the values for each program adds up to under a gigabyte. Any help? submitted by /u/Currall04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gv9fos/very_high_memory_usage_no_programs_open/
  7. Laptop Freezing, CPU Usage and Memory Very High

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Freezing, CPU Usage and Memory Very High: Hiya! I hope that this is in the right place, but... can someone help me? I've been having issues with my Toshiba laptop since, day one. I, obviously, had Windows 8.1 when I got this laptop, which was 6 months ago, just after Xmas and that had problems. Lagging whenever...
  8. Very high memory usage by "system"

Very high memory usage by "system": Hi all. Im having an issue with my "System" Screenshot by Lightshot This is after 30-60min of having the computer running. Late last night it was at almost 6GB!! wtf is going on? i had Killer Networking - Home those drivers for me e2200 network card, but installed...
  9. Very high physical memory usage with nothing open

Very high physical memory usage with nothing open: msconfig - disable all 3rd party software startups ramMap, file explorer, nothing looks fishy scanned system with ESET, malwarebytes, hitman clean system with advanced system care and CC cleaner. nothing helps a bit just cant figure out what is eating up my rams,...
  10. No properties on right click

in Windows 10 Support
    No properties on right click: Windows 10 My windows desktop has become strange. right clicking on my taskbar do not show properties. Any window opens maximized without the option to restore or minimize. Menu button missing on the taskbar but exists as an icon on the desktop. The leftmost icon on the...