Windows 10: Very Odd Clean Install Problem

Discus and support Very Odd Clean Install Problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello - I've been banging my head off the wall trying to work this one out for days.... I have a machine which is base OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dangalore1988, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Very Odd Clean Install Problem

Hello - I've been banging my head off the wall trying to work this one out for days....
    I have a machine which is base OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64 so I invoked the Upgrade and it activated with Windows 10 absolutely fine. (I used the keep files and apps option).
    I then decided to wipe the SSD - I used a Windows 10 OEM installation disc to invoke the installer (No Fast Boot in UEFI and Secure Boot disabled) - also I had it setup for UEFI so I booted from UEFI for the disc drive instead of the legacy option - it opens in the installer in UEFI mode (ie. I delete all the partitions and it sets up the blank SSD with the standard GPT disc partitions) - it then happily copies the files to the standard partition and restarts.
    This is where it gets strange....
    I see the circular turning dots go round... the screen flashes and it goes to setting up devices - it gets to complete then restarts as normal, but when it comes back on I get the circular turning dots, the screen flashes and I then getting more circular turning dots, they spin 2 times and on the third time the screen freezes leaving 3 of the dots on the screen. The keyboard won't respond and I have to power off. When I startup, it does exactly the same again! the same three dots freeze in the same place.
    I've tried going into the command prompt and viewing log files and it says stage 4 completes successfully so I should be seeing the OOBE screens where it says "Get Going Fast" and asks about "Use Express Settings".
    I have also tried using a memory stick formatted by the Media Creation Tool instead of the original OEM Disc and same thing happens.
    Anyway so I wiped and put Windows 7 back on and used the media creation tool to do the upgrade and I have found the following:
    If I choose "Delete personal files and apps", the upgrade process freezes at 75% overall and 0% "Configuring Settings" - I can't proceed and have to delete Windows 7 and start again, but if I allow it to Keep Personal Files and Apps it upgrades to Windows 10 successfully.

Any ideas??? My thinking is there must be a driver this machine needs and the installation process is freezing, but I can't see what it would be?

Machine Specs:
    ASRock X79 Extreme 4
    Intel Core i7-3820
    Intel 330 SSD
    2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz
    Gainward GeForce GTX 660 Ti Phantom 2GB
    TP Link TL-WN851ND Wireless Card

Thanks in advance guys - I've done a lot of googling and can't find any mention of anyone having driver issues on upgrade. Please note I was originally installed in AHCI mode so I changed to IDE mode in the UEFI and I got the same problem. I'm running latest version of the UEFI.

:)

dangalore1988, Dec 5, 2015

2. Dictionary problems - very odd

See that you have posted elsewhere concerning this issue. Not a solution but installing this application upon my 3720 Classic which is similar Series 40 6th Edition (Initial release) to 6303i and it works perfectly as per screenshot below. I did notice that
    JAVA application is 1.2MB in size and as some devices have issues if in excess of 1MB might have expected older 6300 to have had such issues but that not the case.

Very Odd Clean Install Problem [​IMG]

scoobyman---01, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Dictionary problems - very odd

It is such a unique issue that you might have to even consider re-installing device firmware even though it is a brand new device to exclude problem at this end.

scoobyman---01, Dec 5, 2015
  4. Very Odd Clean Install Problem

I managed to get this working - I had ran memtest86 and it was failing always on test 7 which I found odd. I remembered how the installer failed at the same point so I wondered if a driver/process was accessing the same part of memory thus causing the failure.
    I put some new memory in and ran memtest86 - no errors at all including on test 7.
    I then invoked the installer and it ran absolutely fine.

Finally working at long last! *Smile Thanks everyone

dangalore1988, Dec 5, 2015
Thema:

Very Odd Clean Install Problem

1. Very Odd Clean Install Problem - Similar Threads - Very Odd Clean

2. Very Odd Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very Odd Crash: Was on PC, plugging in a cord, when suddenly my computer turned off. Fans and everything were off, only thing still on was the backlight on my motherboard. Tried turning it on but nothing happened. Turned off power supply, unplugged, waited 30 seconds, repluggind, turned on,...
  3. Very Odd Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very Odd Crash: Was on PC, plugging in a cord, when suddenly my computer turned off. Fans and everything were off, only thing still on was the backlight on my motherboard. Tried turning it on but nothing happened. Turned off power supply, unplugged, waited 30 seconds, repluggind, turned on,...
  4. Very Odd Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. HDR is very odd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR is very odd: Im using a LG ultragear 1440p HDR monitor and when I enable HDR the screen is more yellow (even whites) and the brightness adjusts automatically based off whats on the screen. I had hulu open on half my monitor and it was full black and I minimized it and everything else got...
  6. Very odd problem that seems to be related to Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very odd problem that seems to be related to Windows Explorer?: I know the title isn't the best, but I wanted to keep it relatively short. Rarely, when I'm working on my computer, my mouse starts jumping around the screen while clicking like a absolute maniac for approximately 10-15 seconds and afterward I can't click anywhere except...
  7. Odd App Installation Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd App Installation Problem: Hello everyone, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 17763.1457. Fresh Windows install and update on 9/29/2020. I have a few win 10 app installation files that states the installation files are not for my version of Windows. I've tried a few of the online instructions in an...
  8. Something very odd.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something very odd.: I went on my computer and turned on Task Manager and found a process going by "WaasMedic Agent Exe" i don't remember downloading anything yesterday. Is this something bad?[IMG]...
  9. Very odd problem wth Update version 1903

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Very odd problem wth Update version 1903: I've tried doing this update a number of times using just about every method out there. I'm getting error 0x1900101-0x30018. After looking into this I found out the software is trying to update my E: drive and not my C: drive where windows is on a SSD. This info was in the...
  10. Very odd Printing problem in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very odd Printing problem in windows 10: So, this problem is a strange one indeed; I work for a company and we have a laser printer hooked up to a windows 10 machine in on of our warehouses via usb a to b, it's a brother HL-L2320D. When anyone (user or administrator) tries to print a document, the document shows...