Windows 10: Very slow boot after Anniversary update

Discus and support Very slow boot after Anniversary update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I had no problems with Windows 10 start times but since the Anniversary update, boot time is just under 3 minutes. Any ideas to what to look into for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bicycleman, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Very slow boot after Anniversary update

I had no problems with Windows 10 start times but since the Anniversary update, boot time is just under 3 minutes. Any ideas to what to look into for the cause?

:)

bicycleman, Aug 5, 2016
  2. JGusm Win User

slow boot up time after upgrading to windows 10 anniversary update

how to solve the problem of slow boot up time after upgrading to windows 10 anniversary update

JGusm, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Computer very slow after the Windows 10 Anniversary update

After the Windows 10 Anniversary update, my pc is becoming very slow. How can I solve this problem?

RaviShakya_107, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Very slow boot after Anniversary update

Yep....same thing happened to me. I have a pretty stout custom build. I ended up doing a clean install. I downloaded the media creation tool, used the USB method....my system is way better now.

Windows 10

Plankton, Aug 6, 2016
  5. bayustev Win User
    what i do, is install latest cummulative, and sfc, dism check, cleanup previous windows installation using windows disk cleanup, optimized disk c: (where windows installation). then restart.

bayustev, Aug 6, 2016
  6. tiku Win User
    I had the same problem.
    After trying several things , I've notified that Virtual memory configuration was a little strange.
    In my configuration , Virtual memory was Automatically managed by the system.
    The windows Recommended settings was 1912MB , but the Currently allocated value is 8192 ( my RAM size is 8GB ).
    I set the configuration manually , Initial size=Maximum size= 1912MB.
    Restart.
    After that , when I shutdown , and after start the Pc , windows 10 is booting in 5-6 seconds like before updating to anniversary update.
    I don't know that this configuration is good or bad , but actually my slow boot problem is fixed.

7. I've tried the above suggestions and nothing has changed. Startup takes about 4 minutes and after that the drive stays at almost 100% usage for another 10 minutes. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Strange thing is that when I shut it down it only takes about 10 seconds while previously it took about one minute.

bicycleman, Aug 10, 2016
  8. richstant Win User

Just wanted to post to say thanks - I had the same problem, and this fixed it. I set virtual memory back to manual, rebooted. Problem gone. Set back to system managed, problem stayed away, and the virtual memory stayed at the 'recommended' level. The next day the problem came back, and the virtual memory had increased back to it's original value. Set it back to manual, and the problem went away again. So not sure what's causing it, but setting virtual memory to manual seems to fix it for me. Thanks!

richstant, Aug 16, 2016
  9. infotech Win User
    I have noticed, especially after a reboot, that after entering password, windows does not go to desktop

I am running Windows 10 x64 with 16GB RAM

I checked the virtual memory and it allocated 1024 MB which seems ridiculously low; with Recommended: 2938 MB

I am not an expert and do not want to fiddle without expert guidance.

What would you suggest please in the Virtual Memory Settings.

Thank you in advance!

infotech, Sep 23, 2016
  10. Hello. I have faced this problem yesterday and probably found the solution. My thoughts : First of all, the new anniversary update is quite large, it is like installing new Windows. I remember one thing which was suggested before installing new Windows on SSD - disconnect any HDD because Windows creates partitions on HDD, not on SSD..
    Ok, so i thought that after the Anniversary update we probably get the system reserved partition on our hard drivebecause it was connected while updating. Simple thing to test and solve that - open your computer case and disconnect SATA data cable from HDD. I have also changed SSD SATA connector jack to other on my motherboard (don't know exactly why, just thought it will be better *Smile. So after unplugging HDD and leaving connected only SSD tried to boot system - windows booted fast - like it did before update. Then I turned off my computer and connected HDD to my motherboard (different port again) and boot again. Windows boots fast and no more issues. Please inform if this information was helpful and up-vote for others to see. *Wink

Mindaugas Mot, Oct 22, 2016
  11. MartinK Win User
    Hey there.
    Thank you for this advice it worked perfectly for me. Super fast boot up once more!
    Thanks again.

Martin.

MartinK, Nov 5, 2016
  12. Same problem here. I finally decided it was a problem shutting down. I created a bat file (a text file with a .bat extension) using Notepad (saving it to the C drive) to shut down that closed all applications. I then created a desktop shortcut to it.

shutdown /f /p

I called it shutdownComp.bat (Note: don't call it shutdown.bat or it will enter a loop)

ow I boot up in 26 seconds after using the bat file to shut down (3-4 minutes if I use windows 10 Shut Down menu item).

Good luck.

wdaniels47, Dec 2, 2016
  13. vzwkz1 Win User

Hi,

I have tried a lot of "tips and tricks" to solve the w10 slow boot time (about 90 seconds) but with no luck.
    Today I found a real solution for my problem.

1) go to regedit. In regedit, go to the Find option in the Edit Menu.
    2) Search for EnableULPS. Double click on it and change the value from 1 to 0.
    3) Exit regedit and restart your laptop.
    4) Your boot and sleep times should be much, much better."

What is enableups: What is EnableULPS? - [Solved] - Windows 10 - Tom's Hardware

I have a AMD Radeon HD 6700 series grafics card.

I have spent lots of time on this issue but at last.........

Now my boot times are great – from hibernate 10 sec, otherwise 15-20 sec.

Hope this can help someone.

vzwkz1, Dec 20, 2016
  14. I found this article very helpful. Slow boot was a problem for me and I solved this problem and shared my experience here Fixing window 10 slow boot.html My problem was old graphic driver. I was using the graphic driver that was very old, it was from the time I first bought my PC.

himanshux22, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Very slow boot after Anniversary update - Similar Threads - Very slow boot

2. Booting is very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting is very slow: Hello, My laptop taking around 6-7 minutes to boot. I have tried all possible fix like reinstall of Windows with both local install and cloud download , Disk cleanup and defragment, switching off superfetch, turned off hibernation, cleaning up registry editor. Nothing worked...
  3. Booting is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting is very slow: Hello, My laptop taking around 6-7 minutes to boot. I have tried all possible fix like reinstall of Windows with both local install and cloud download , Disk cleanup and defragment, switching off superfetch, turned off hibernation, cleaning up registry editor. Nothing worked...
  4. Windows Booting very slow after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Booting very slow after 2004 update: Today I upgraded to the newest 2004 build after my pc said there was an update to be installed. I didn't check but I should have probably to see what this update is. I just clicked restart and update... However got two issues now: BSOD (page_fault_in_nonpaged_area...
  5. Windows Booting very slow after 2004 update ,

Windows Booting very slow after 2004 update ,: My Windows 10 starting on very slow after windows 10 , 2004 update now what i do ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-booting-very-slow-after-2004-update/795f6886-8305-4555-b769-a6ca3cd7cc75
  6. Boot is very slow

Boot is very slow: Hi I have a problem with my PC. I've recently updated my windows using windows settings.Everything is fine but my PC boots very slow after updating. I disabled apps with high impact in startup settings and I also reset my PC but nothing changed. I changed the boot...
  7. Windows boot very very slow after last update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows boot very very slow after last update: After the last update my Windows its booting so slow like 10 minutes to start up and i dont want to wait that anymore, i already try with some fixes but dont work. IF YOU WILL ANSWER I ONLY WANT A DIRECT AND HELPFUL SOLUTION Thanks....
  8. Very Slow VPN Speeds - Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very Slow VPN Speeds - Anniversary Update: Hello, I have been a long time Torguard user with no issues. The other day I installed the Windows 10 anniversary update and after the update my VPN speeds have been terrible. I am getting around 0-5 Mbps download speed on every server. (Wired and Wireless) Before...
  9. Very Slow Boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very Slow Boot: Until yesterday (New Updates) i have Very Slow Boot and Installed Applications needs so much time to opens. I have Intel Core i5 4670K, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and 8 GB RAM. Yesterday Computer works normally until today. 9131
  10. Very slow startup after Windows Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow startup after Windows Anniversary update: I find that I have to wait for a good 5 minutes before the startup of Windows 10 with the latest version and update to this date of today's. How can I reduce the time to have a quick or fast statup with my desktop? I did tried few things to see if that help and still the same...