Windows 10: Very slow loading of photos, GIFs and video?

Discus and support Very slow loading of photos, GIFs and video? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is anyone else experiencing very slow loading of photos/images, especially higher resolution? Even simple GIFs, which previously required no loading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnM762, May 21, 2016.

1. JohnM762 Win User

Very slow loading of photos, GIFs and video?

Is anyone else experiencing very slow loading of photos/images, especially higher resolution? Even simple GIFs, which previously required no loading time, now take two to several seconds to load. Videos, even low-res, which previously commenced playing instantly and seamlessly now cue the "swirling orbs of death" to swirl for up to several minutes before beginning, and will pause mid-play of 5 to 10-minute videos to swirl-load again.

I was operating on Windows 7. I denied several auto-offers to "upgrade" to Windows 10. A few days ago I walked in and found Windows 10 77% loaded and warning not to interfere. Figured that was that, and would have to deal with it. There are several "upgrades" and "enhancements" which I'd rather not have - and that Windows 7 handled much better - but now it seems I'm stuck with 10. If so and this problem cannot be resolved.... I don't know what. At great cost, switch to MAC? But continually being frustrated, delayed and cursing at the screen is not a pleasant prospect.

:)

JohnM762, May 21, 2016

2. slow decoding of GIF images

GIF loading, decoding and displaying is very slow on WP78.

I tried opening http://i.imgur.com/Z7FpC.gif in browser and it starts OK but after few frames it slows badly and then it stops (blank page).

Tried refreshing the page many times but got the same behavior.

stanciu.adrian, May 21, 2016
  3. Jumpman98 Win User
    Windows 10 Photo App Crashes When Loading .gif Files

I have always used Photo primarily since I upgraded to Windows 10 back when Win10 was first released for free, something like July of last year. Up until October 22nd, I have had no issue viewing gif's, jpg's, png's, etc., on Photo. Now, while other image
    file types still work, Photo crashes every time I try to view a gif. I can open the same gif files with a browser and it works and it does work in Gif Viewer (though for some reason it's in slow motion... though that's probably due to the probability of it
    being a crappy program).

Jumpman98, May 21, 2016
  4. TheSchaft Win User

Welcome to TenForums, John. *Smile

I recently got another Windows 10 system, very fast, but it would take a loooong time loading any video clip or file using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC). While your specs don't identify the video card, it is probably an NVIDIA, most are. If it is, like mine is, the culprit was the video software from NVIDIA, specifically, the library file "nvSCPAPI.dll", part of the NVIDIA 3D Vision feature. Renaming that DLL file so that the nVidia driver couldn’t find it made MPC-HC once again launch clips in an instant.

On 64 bit WIndows the file to rename is found in the directory: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision I renamed that file and the one ending in"64" right under it to ".dll.old", and the problems disappeared.

Subsequently I went into Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstalled all the NVIDIA 3D stuff and just left the driver.

Hope this helps.

TheSchaft, May 23, 2016
  5. JohnM762 Win User
    Thanks very much for your reply, and thank you for making it simple and straightforward. My "techno-savvy" is about caveman-Stone Age level. I'll delve into it, and if it seems daunting or gives me the willies, in about a week I should have a visit from a more techno-savvy guy - he's just a kid - about 55 years old. He can help me out if needed.
    Another question, if I may: I have Google-searched issues with Windows 10. A handful of people said it is simple to unload Windows 10 and revert to Windows 7 (which was my previous system). Can you perhaps confirm this - and do you think it could be a viable option for an old, busted up caveman?
    Thanks again for your time and input - I appreciate it.
    OldJohn

JohnM762, May 23, 2016
  6. TheSchaft Win User
    Unless you're over 70 like me, you're a young whippersnapper, John *Wink

Yes, you can revert to Windows 7. Whether or not it is a good idea is a matter of taste, I suppose. I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after imaging my system in case I wanted to go back, but I never did it. I found that all of my programs ran under Windows 10, and I got used to the new interface pretty quickly.

All that being said, if you do want to go back, and you haven't done anything major to the system since it switched, like deleting files, there are a number of articles that can walk you through the process. One of the better ones for "old cavemen" like us might be this:

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1
    "Don’t like Windows 10? As long as you’ve upgraded within the last month, you can uninstall Windows 10 and downgrade your PC back to its original Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 operating system. You can always upgrade to Windows 10 again later..."

Article is at: http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/

The article is step by step so it should be pretty easy to do once you print it out for reference.

(As an aside, I would recommend using a program like Macrium Reflect Free to image the system - it makes it a lot easier to undo changes.)

TheSchaft, May 23, 2016
  7. JohnM762 Win User
    First, thanks again. I'll check out the revert process. Don't know about mirroring the system, but will check that too. Will also back up all files (hundreds of doc folders, thousands of images etc.) on an ext hard drive before doing anything. That will likely run all night. Fortunately, no deadlines until 1st of June, but... and I'm still well under 30 days with Windows 10. May go back to Windows 7 just because I know it, and don't have time for a two-semester course in *New Windows Wonderfulness!* I don't like the way it handles images, and it seems it will not allow me a preview of Word documents in a side window, allowing simple copy-and-paste (though not edit/ add/delete. I often need the copy&paste ability, fast, when working. Windows 10 seems bent on forcing me to OPEN the document - and when actively working with a dozen or more Word docs open at a time, it just creates more chaos.
    Laughing here, though I abhor emoticons. Yes, I'm only 70, but the snap was blasted outta my whip long ago. In fact, if you added up my disabilities, I'm 146 and 1/2 percent disabled. (How do you get over 100 percent? Ah, long story.) Not confined to wheelchair all the time, for which I'm thankful; just chained to chronic pain and two four-toe'd lunar-lander walker-canes. Can't complain. And GOTTA work while I can.
    If all swirls down the porcelain appliance and the PC blows up, it may be a prime opportunity to call my publisher and managing editors and say, "Stick a fork in me, `cause I'm DONE" - and see what happens...

JohnM762, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Very slow loading of photos, GIFs and video? - Similar Threads - Very slow loading

2. edge load utube very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    edge load utube very slow: Utube has been very slow to load and view video in last couple of days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-load-utube-very-slow/0a716e40-8289-4f5d-aaf7-db0d0e330612
  3. Photo's very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo's very slow: I have all my pictures organized on my PC these are family pictures over 60 years in directories per year, per month, per event. Pictures, of course, became bigger over the years. Since a couple of months an upgrade of W10 or Photo's????? opening a photo with photo's FOR...
  4. Some Apps very slow to load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some Apps very slow to load: Hi, Due to issues I had upgrading an older to PC to the latest Windows 10 version, I decide to bite the bullet and buy a new new PC. Maybe I bit off more of that bullet than I could chew. I've upgraded to a DELL Optiplex 7090 with a DELL Ultra HD monitor 3840 x 2160 running...
  5. Windows loads very slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows loads very slow: Hi My windows recently works very slowly , hard disk usage is at 100% response time 2000 Every command takes a lot of time like 2 or 3 minutes . I uninstalled latest update , check hard disk it was fine, nothing works . Please help me....
  6. Loads very Slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Loads very Slow: I have an Asus Laptop X540 B. Just over 1 year old. Yesterday it started functioning erratically. It takes more than hour to load. Once desktop loads , i noticed the system has reset itself. But when i try to open any file/folder/drive it just hangs and stays like that for...
  7. Photos App is Very Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App is Very Slow: I don't know why, but sometimes the Photos app takes a few minutes to load. Why is it so slow? MsPaint never takes more than a couple seconds to load. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-is-very-slow/54e33a97-7436-4ed7-b315-59a7edc788f4
  8. Laptop very slow to load up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop very slow to load up: I have a Sony Vaio l/top about 1 year old, my problem is its taking about 5 mins to boot up then the task bar on the bottom takes another min before i can use it ,i have removed nearly all my apps and i have a screen shot of start up programs which is not many,also i have...
  9. Loading programs is very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Loading programs is very slow: My laptop is about a year old and it recently started this problem where any program I click to load takes about a minute or so to start. Even clicking the start button takes a while. Once the program finishes loading its usually fine. I've gone through everything I can...
  10. Loading programs is very slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Loading programs is very slow: My laptop is about a year old and it recently started this problem where any program I click to load takes about a minute or so to start. Even clicking the start button takes a while. Once the program finishes loading its usually fine. I've gone through everything I can...