Windows 10: Very slow start up when using Restart

Discus and support Very slow start up when using Restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I can't recall when exactly this problem started but I have had it for quite a while now, it might have begun after the last feature update. For one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by slowreboot, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Very slow start up when using Restart

I can't recall when exactly this problem started but I have had it for quite a while now, it might have begun after the last feature update. For one reason or another my PC takes very long to start up if I select "Restart", around 2 minutes 45 seconds from the moment the motherboard splash screen appears to the moment that I get into the Windows lock screen. If I select "Shutdown" and then start the computer from the physical power button the start up up time is what you would normally expect, around 10 seconds.

I have my W10 installed on an SSD and I have already tried disabling/re-enabling the "Fast Startup" setting from power options but it does not seem to have effect. I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709 (OS build 16299.251). I have the latest drivers installed on all of my devices

:)

slowreboot, Mar 6, 2018
  2. Ziphold Win User

Windows 10 laggy boot

So, this is happening to me for the first time since I've downloaded windows 10. See, when I turn on my pc and when win10 starts to boot up, in 90% cases, the little rotating thingy (the loading bar) starts lagging and pausing, basically getting very very
    slow. One time, I have been waiting for 5 minutes, and my PC still didn't boot.

However, when I restart my pc by pressing the restart button on the PC case, it boots up almost instantly.

Does anyone know what is going on?

In advance, thank you.

P.S: I did mess around with the amount of cores and RAM memory booting should be able to use and I maxed it up. (because booting was slow.)

Ziphold, Mar 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 daily morning hanged?

I am using windows 10 operating system in my computer. Problem is that when daily in morning ,only first time when I start the computer and start the internet connection. My computer is responding very slow. If then I directly restart the computer from cpu
    switch and started again then problem gone,

I disabled the windows updated but not working. every day morning first time computer responding very slow. and sometime hanged.

first time in the morning daily only first time daily responding very slow even after 20/30 minutes of start up. once I restrat direct or any way ,after that it is working fine and with usual speed.

any solution to get this solve?

sandipkachhiya, Mar 6, 2018
  4. zinou Win User

Very slow start up when using Restart

Hi,
    In order to troubleshoot your issue, you should follow these steps:

- Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ed/adk-install . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.
    - Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: JustPaste.it - Share Text & Images the Easy Way- Compress the resulting file
    - Share it through dropbox, google drive or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you…

zinou, Mar 7, 2018
  5. Here's the trace file: Zippyshare.com

slowreboot, Mar 7, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    Did you notice which part takes longest ? closing windows probably ? That would mean some process is stuck and not closing in timely manner.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  7. Windows closes at normal speed, it's the start up that takes long. And only when start up is part of using Restart.

slowreboot, Mar 7, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

OK, where is the bottleneck than ? In BIOS Until first windows circle comes up, until sign in screen or after it until windows are usable ?

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  9. This motherboard splash screen is where the circle just keeps spinning for almost 3 minutes.
    Very slow start up when using Restart [​IMG]

slowreboot, Mar 7, 2018
  10. zinou Win User
    The boot trace can't help, your delay occurs before the OS loader !

check if you boot in UEFI and not in bios legacy.

Check that by type msinfo command:

zinou, Mar 7, 2018
  11. CountMike New Member
    Correct, that suggests to me that BIOS can't read EFI partition properly and in timely manner. Check in BIOS if it's set to UEFI (CSM) in some models and that it's set to read that first.

CountMike, Mar 7, 2018
  12. According to msinfo my BIOS Mode is set to UEFI

in BIOS my boot mode is set to "UEFI and Legacy". I tried changing it to UEFI only but that didn't change anything.

slowreboot, Mar 7, 2018
  13. zinou Win User

what's the result of the msinfo.exe command ? Screenshut.

zinou, Mar 7, 2018
  14. Very slow start up when using Restart [​IMG]

slowreboot, Mar 7, 2018
  15. zinou Win User
    Your Bios version is old (2014). Update...

zinou, Mar 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Very slow start up when using Restart - Similar Threads - Very slow start

2. very slow on restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    very slow on restart: window 11 takes a very long time to get to the home screen on restart. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow-on-restart/448b8ad4-5645-4443-836c-450ca2dd6ffe
  3. Slow restart when sound starts to break up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow restart when sound starts to break up.: I do not think I will get any answers but will try. Every two weeks to a month, I will notice the sound starts to break up at the end of alerts and other notices. The mouse starts to lag a bit, and some of the windows also seem to be slow. This will get worse, so I...
  4. Very slow start up

Very slow start up: I installed Microsoft Teams but couldn't get going with it so uninstalled it. Now, when I power up it takes 10 minutes with the CPU light permanently on and a message saying re-enter my login details. Clicking ok does nothing but CtrlAltDel eventually releases the screen...
  5. Very slow start up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Very slow start up: I installed Microsoft Teams but couldn't get going with it so uninstalled it. Now, when I power up it takes 10 minutes with the CPU light permanently on and a message saying re-enter my login details. Clicking ok does nothing but CtrlAltDel eventually releases the screen...
  6. A very slow start-up

A very slow start-up: Hi, The booting is long(more than 5 Minuit) and resetting Windows didn't correct the problem. I appreciate if someone could help me. With my best regards. Shams https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-very-slow-start-up/e7dea95b-2283-479c-b75e-888ca2a24800
  7. Very slow start up

Very slow start up: Could some please check this and see if there is anything I can uncheck that will help speedup bootup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow-start-up/127f2e9a-8e6f-4748-b93f-9e36a3ced0af
  8. Very slow start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Very slow start up: Hi, my laptop is really slow to start up yet the system shows plenty of memory available. I've cleared temp files. any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow-start-up/6fedcb5c-0020-4648-bff7-5c876ea79f8b
  9. Restart very slow?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restart very slow?: Hey Guys I have fast start up enabled ( it's ticked but greyed out , reg enrty is set to 1 ) But I have set hibernation to never, will this combo work? Time I get is around 14 secs. Also the restart option seems extremely slow ie around 1 minute, is this normal? Is...
  10. Very slow restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow restart: Before I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 it took only about a minute to restart. After the upgrade to Win 10 it takes about 5 minutes to restart. How do I fix this? 23718