Windows 10: Very slow to show files in folder with many files

Discus and support Very slow to show files in folder with many files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a big problem. I have a NAS with some folders containing many movies, in one 1.000 and in the other over 2.000, and every time I go to open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hispanico, Sep 19, 2016.

1. hispanico Win User

Very slow to show files in folder with many files

I have a big problem. I have a NAS with some folders containing many movies, in one 1.000 and in the other over 2.000, and every time I go to open the folder windows 10 takes a long to see them all files, especially put them in order of date or size
    There the way to solve it ?

Thank
    Hispa

:)

hispanico, Sep 19, 2016
  2. MwjDev Win User

Very slow to load Downloads folder in Windows 10

whenever i search answers here.. .i always find dumb answers which never works.. so i thought why not help u with this xD try this.

1.open ur explorer

2.in left side on download quick access or shotcut right click and go to properties.

3.go to customize tab.

4.change in "optimize folder for:" change it to "General items"

5. click apply then ok.

6.close the explorer

then try to open the download folder.. u will see it will load like other folders do.

hope this helps.

MwjDev, Sep 19, 2016
  3. Very slow to load Downloads folder in Windows 10

For my part, I clicked on the "Restore Default" button which resolved my issues (a minute before I crack my Surface in half).

Yann Godbout, Sep 19, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

With that many files you would expect it to be slow as it has to read every file if your displaying thumb nails show details would be a bit quicker. Once read it will cache it for a while so will be quicker next time. Your only option is put them in folders sorted some way so there is not do many to read

Samuria, Sep 19, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    That is typical when the OS has to reindex every one of those files in those directories when opening them up in Explorer.

bro67, Sep 19, 2016
  6. AlphaUMi Win User
    Sorry, I'm a bit off topic. I'm speaking about the part in bold. Does it mean what I already suspected, i.e. that Windows autoclean the thumbs cache automatically after a while?

AlphaUMi, Sep 19, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Not in the sake with all of the changes that have been done to 7, 8.x, 10. Each time the OS connects to a share, it has to rebuild the index and the thumb cache if any changes have been made. Especially with those who use software like CCleaner or Clean up the system and choose the wrong boxes.

The only way to really pull up media files is using something like Plex or one of the other media servers. There are better programs that handle shared media without using the media servers.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Very slow to show files in folder with many files - Similar Threads - Very slow show

2. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  3. Save File, "New Folder" very slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Save File, "New Folder" very slow: Lately when attempting downloads or saving files, the Save File "New Folder" button seems to take forever to complete (at least a minute). I can't pin down exactly when this started happening, just that I've been annoyed by it in for a t least the last month. Does anyone have...
  4. Very slow show of files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow show of files in Explorer: Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check...
  5. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  6. Navigating with file explorer through folder with many zip files is very slow.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Navigating with file explorer through folder with many zip files is very slow.: Hi, When I navigate through a network directory that contains many zip files I seem to have a pause while some kind of indexing is going on. Happens every time I navigate through it, from parent through to child and back again. Is there some policy I can enable that will...
  7. Very slow on file operrations

Very slow on file operrations: When copying files of any size, my system goes to 99% and then hangs there for about 10-30 seconds. Any operation causing a file rename has similar results. To make things faster I changed my two internal disks (1TB, 2TB) both to SSD's, no change. Copying files to the...
  8. Extracting files from zipped folder is very slow

Extracting files from zipped folder is very slow: I have a zipped folder of size 280 MB, this folder contains json files and the total size of the folder is around 500-600 MB. While extracting the files from the zipped folder, the speed is only 5-6 KBps and shows that it'll take more than 8 hours. Please let me know how do I...
  9. File manager very slow

File manager very slow: In the last week or so certain operations whilst using File Manager are going very slow. I'm using a fully updated version of Windows 10 on a PC. Opening a file manager window works okay, but clicking 'New Folder' takes 20 seconds for the folder to appear. Deleting a file to...
  10. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files: I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that share from a Win 7 PC it opens pretty much instantly, but to open it from my Win 10 PC takes for ever. The green progress bar...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folder and windows 10 and many files and slow