Windows 10: VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's

Discus and support VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've got a 2Tb disk which is almost full. I'm trying to copy the contents to a 3Tb disk, however, i'm getting ridiculously slow transfer rates. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bobberuk, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Bobberuk Win User

VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's

I've got a 2Tb disk which is almost full. I'm trying to copy the contents to a 3Tb disk, however, i'm getting ridiculously slow transfer rates. I've tried cloning, and it gives me estimated completion of cloning of over 30 days.

I've tried Teracopy, and it gives me similar estimates. I'm copying an Itunes archive full of movie files typically around 3Gb - 5Gb in size.

I have done some benchmarking tests, and it seems that my destination disk has some issues.

Source Drive: (2Tb):

VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's [​IMG]

Destination Drive: (3Tb):

Clearly there are some issues here, but I'm not sure how to proceed. The drive is newly formatted/partitioned.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks

Bob

:)

Bobberuk, Jan 1, 2017
  2. quyeno Win User

Slow internal hard drive transfer rates

Hi

I'm getting very slow hard drive transfer speeds. Both drives are SATA:

Seagate Barracude Green 2TB 6Gb/s 5900RPM ST2000DL003

HGST 4TB 6Gb/s 7200RPM HDN724040ALE640

I'm transferring from the Seagate to the HGST. I'm copying over some video tutorial courses, they're quite big ~ 14Gb each. Each course has a number of videos averaging about 80-150Mb per video. I'm getting
    tranfer speeds of about 8-9MB/s.

I've ran CrystalDiskMark on both drives and they're reported as what I expect. I've attached screen shots of the results. The read/write for the Seagate is 124/120, for HGST is 150/149 respectively.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 and I have 32Gb of GSkill DDR4 ram. I'm new to this motherboard so may be there's a setting which would help?

As far as I know I think the chipset drivers are up to date.

I'm at a lost why the transfer rate would be so slow. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

quyeno, Jan 1, 2017
  3. Slow transfer rate with USB 3.0 external HDD

In the image you can see the information you have asked for. Anyway, I've already played with those settings without any decent result: infact, if I select "best performance" with "write cache enabled" and then I move a file from internal SSD to external
    HDD, the transfer rate is very high, too high to be honest, and the file moved on the external HDD is "corrupt". Also, if I try to open a file on the HDD with those settings, for example a movie, the video player is very slow.

Finally, on every computer in which I've used this external HDD, I've checked that I'm using the "fast removal" option.

Alessandro.R, Jan 1, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Have you already tried to copy things over in "clumps" rather than all at once? I.E., what happens when you copy just one folder at a time?

RolandJS, Jan 1, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Use built in robocopy it's faster what anti virus are you using as this can scan on read and again on write slowing it to a crawl

Samuria, Jan 1, 2017
  6. Bobberuk Win User
    Found the problem it was the 5.25 bay my drive was installed to. Moved it to one of the main internal case bays and its improved hugely without the dips.

Thanks all!

Bobberuk, Jan 1, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    That makes no sense. Must have had a problem with the cable/connection which changed when you moved the drive.

pparks1, Jan 1, 2017
  8. Bobberuk Win User

I agree it makes no sense, as the bay has a slot for my main C: drive which is an SSD which gives no performance problems at all. Maybe it's a problem with that bay which is an aftermarket addition to my tower. Either way, the drive is working fine now *Smile

Bobberuk, Jan 1, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    Oh, does your case have actually bays for hot swap drives or something? If it has a backplane, it's possible you have a problem there.

pparks1, Jan 1, 2017
  10. Bobberuk Win User
    The bay I purchased to fit into a 5.25 slot in the front of the case has slots for a standard HDD and an SSD too. SSD is working fine, clearly either the bay or cabling to the other HDD was faulty. I'm getting 65Mb/70Mb per second now. Before it was just Kb's.

Bobberuk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's - Similar Threads - VERY Slow transfer

2. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  3. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  4. Very slow file transfer between win10 & 2019 - interesting work around

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very slow file transfer between win10 & 2019 - interesting work around: Hi All, We recently installed a Win2019 fileserver on vsphere Soon after wards we were getting reports of very slow files transfers on all the file shares. Most but not all PC's were affected, copying a 1GB file from share to desktop was bouncing between 0 and 3MB/s on...
  5. Slow data transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow data transfer rate: I don't understand what the issue is. I'm moving 85gigs from one folder to another within the same folder on the same drive which is a hybrid drive and I've seen it go way faster but small or large it never goes over 55mb/s 151820
  6. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate: I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue. I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the...
  7. File transfer rates less than 1mb/s between internal drives

File transfer rates less than 1mb/s between internal drives: After spending hours trawling the internet and microsoft forums for a solution I have finally found one. In short the problem is incredibly slow transfer speeds between two internal hard drives. It starts off for each file at a speed I would expect, over 50mbps, then...
  8. LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs

LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs: I'm trying to transfer videos and photos from my old PC to the new but the transfer rate is very slow. I have a gigabit router and both PCs are wired. Sometimes it gets to around 900Mbps then drops down to 50Mbps or even zero. Both PCs are on Windows 10 Pro 1809. So far I...
  9. Slow USB Transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow USB Transfer rate: My lappie has USB3 ports. Or course I know the clock down to whatever device you attach. I have a 500G Seagate External rated at USB2. Meaning my transfers should be 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps), correct? So why am I getting half that...
  10. Slow transfer rates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow transfer rates: Been dealing with this for awhile and I'm honestly not sure what could be causing it. So this happens when I'm moving files/folders from my PC to my external drive - [img] The speeds are good for about 5 seconds then it 'throttles' to literally 30kb/s or lower....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. [Internal – Corpnet Required] 2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)

2. Internal – Corpnet Required] 2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)

3. 256 kb/s data transfer rate of internal HDD issue

4. st1000lm035-1rk172 slow transfer rate