Windows 10: Very suspicious update popups on Windows 10

Discus and support Very suspicious update popups on Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been getting a strange popup for update without any update about what it's about. It also want's to install Yahoo search It has happened... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by takias, Feb 5, 2017.

1. takias Win User

Very suspicious update popups on Windows 10

I have been getting a strange popup for update without any update about what it's about.
    It also want's to install Yahoo search

It has happened few times so far and I am unable to figure out which program is it related to.

I used process explorer and to find out that it's mshta.exe - but not anything more than that.

Could anyone suggest what it could be?

I am attaching a screenshot for your reference

Very suspicious update popups on Windows 10 [​IMG]

:)

takias, Feb 5, 2017
  2. PareshSao Win User

CMD popups and disappear

In windows 10, lots of cmd popups are coming and dsappearing withing a second, and after sometime my pc got very-very slow. I checked in the task manger about any suspicious task but i didnt found anything.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

PareshSao, Feb 5, 2017
  3. What means "We need to fix your Microsoft account"??

Twice it gave me a "can't connect to the sync service" and attempted further troubleshooting with no positive result. I'll try again later. Of course my Internet connection is fine, or I couldn't be doing this.

I'm also getting a very suspicious looking "you need some updates" popup and ignoring it.

ToddEverett, Feb 5, 2017
  4. dencal Win User

dencal, Feb 5, 2017
  5. takias Win User
    Thanks Dencal for your reply.
    Could you please explain what those commands do?

takias, Feb 5, 2017
  6. dencal Win User
    They repair corrupted Registry.

dencal, Feb 5, 2017
  7. takias Win User
    Thanks again Dencal.
    Does the issue look like a corrupted registry related issue?
    Have you come across such issues before?
    It would be helpful if you could give some more information about it.

takias, Feb 5, 2017
  8. dencal Win User

You have requested advice, I have given it, do as requested then post back result for further info if needed.

dencal, Feb 5, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Feb 5, 2017
  10. philc43 Win User
    I, too, suspect you have a virus. It is most likely the Chromium Browser virus/malware.

philc43, Feb 5, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
  12. takias Win User
    Thanks a lot AndreTen , philc43 and Bree for support and the links.

I ran ADWcleaner and that seems to have have resolved the issue! *Smile
    Let's see.

takias, Feb 6, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

Hope it'll all go well. Make a check with Malwarebytes and Windows defender offline.

After it, empty Recycle bin and delete any restore points made in this time (you can leave older).

AndreTen, Feb 6, 2017
  14. dencal Win User
    Next time you post try not to mislead by stating.....I used process explorer and to find out that it's mshta.exe - but not anything more than that.

Click link to see that mshta.exe can hide a myriad of infections beside being an essential part of the O/S.

mshta.exe Windows process - What is it?

dencal, Feb 6, 2017
  15. takias Win User
    Thanks AndreTen.
    I use Windows Defender as my anti-virus for Win10. So I did run that before posting but it detected nothing!!
    I did run EsetOnlineScanner after reading about the similar issues from the links you and Bree posted. That found some issues in addition to the ADWCleaner.

I am still wondering how this came to my PC as I am always extra careful about what I am installing on my system...

I found this thread on a German forum also helpful (just in case anyone else finds it useful)
    Win10 - "There is a Recommended Update for this PC"

@ Dencal
    I did look up what mshta.exe is but as it's a system file not a virus it turned out to be a dead end for me - that's why I reached out for help on this forum.
    May be you genuinely tried to help but it was over imposing and didn't really help me to understand the issue.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

takias, Feb 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Very suspicious update popups on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Very suspicious update

2. Suspicious Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suspicious Update: I have been getting the attached screen for a few months. My computer has been to the Geek Squad twice for malware and hacks but this screen keeps coming up. Feeling that it is a spam, I click control/alt/delete, with the curser go to sign out. Most of the times I do not have...
  3. Suspicious Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suspicious Update: I have been getting the attached screen for a few months. My computer has been to the Geek Squad twice for malware and hacks but this screen keeps coming up. Feeling that it is a spam, I click control/alt/delete, with the curser go to sign out. Most of the times I do not have...
  4. Suspicious Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Very suspicious program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Very suspicious program: For about a year and half, There's been this program that only shows on task manager, and you cannot quit. On task manager, it shows up as "MediumBlueIT" and when i expand it, it shows an exe called "OakomsOystershadePIn addition, there is absolutely NOTHING relating to this...
  6. Updates on windows 10 and suspicious installation activity

Updates on windows 10 and suspicious installation activity: I have noticed how my computer after update has been attacked and invaded by unwanted programs attempting to clean and give me fake PC updates. Windows 10 v2004 Build 19041.207 KB4550936 after this update Viruses found all over my **** computer. microsoft and windows needs...
  7. Suspicious blue restart and update popup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Suspicious blue restart and update popup: I am seeing a popup instructing me to restart and update now to maintain windows support. I have restarted since and there was no update, so I don't think it is from Microsoft, It is on blue background and does not show the Microsoft logo. Any thoughts appreciated....
  8. "Suspicious Activity" Popup?

"Suspicious Activity" Popup?: Hello, I received this popup : [img] Is this a legitimate message from Microsoft ? I doubt it, but I've been out of the loop on computer security matters for quite some time and cursory search about scam popups did not bring up anything looking this official. Had...
  9. Suspicious update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Suspicious update: Anyone have any knowledge on this update? KB3016656? I see this in the "Installed Updates" but not in Windows update history. Googling comes up with several inaccessible links to a Chinese facebook page. I wonder if others have it, and what is its purpose. P.S....
  10. Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING): So this annoying message popup, like the lockscreen does, alt tabbing you out of games, fullscreen apps, and takes completely control over everything, there is no way to get back into what u wanted until you hit [GET UPDATES], at this point and time it will load Windows...