Windows 10: Very unstable local network

Discus and support Very unstable local network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a very small local network consisting of a desktop and a laptop both running windows 10 fall creator. The desktop is connected by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oeivinr, Nov 21, 2017.

1. oeivinr Win User

Very unstable local network

Hi there,

I have a very small local network consisting of a desktop and a laptop both running windows 10 fall creator. The desktop is connected by cable to a router and the laptop connected via wifi. The desktop's file manager can see the laptop, but the desktop is not shown on the laptop's file manager. That is, sometimes the desktop is displayed, but other times it is not. In short, the network is very unstable. I have pinged the desktop from the laptop and the connection seems ok, and I have also pinged 127.0.0.1 to check the network card of the the laptop. Also fine.
    I have run the Windows built-in trouble shooter to check on the network card. It can't find anything wrong with it . I have diagnosed the network itself. Same result nothing wrong. I have tried and tried, but it seems I can't find what is at fault here.

So what I am asking is this. When the network is down, is there anything I can do to sort of "wake" it up or do I have to wait till next time it chooses to connect the desktop to the laptop that is the desktop is displayed by the laptop's file manager.

:)

oeivinr, Nov 21, 2017
  2. PorezW Win User

Issue with Twitter app - "Can't connect to Twitter"

Thank you for the code, just did it.

Have PR1.1 running. WiFi-Network is unstable, don't know why.

In the end, Network settings were not deleted and Twitter is running right now.

Tank you very much..

PorezW, Nov 21, 2017
  3. N95 is very unstable

i have that problem with the reboot screen going black and then restarting... solved that by taking the memory card out, then restart, then put it back in. Good thing they are hot swoppable.

alanp---01, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Very unstable local network

Check how long the lease on the IP address's are in the router.

I had a similar issue every hour or so and found it was renewing the ip address every hour.

Other then that its a matter of rebooting all devices and changing the cable to the desktop.

kingtez1984, Nov 21, 2017
  5. Madness10 Win User
    I am having the same problem. Running 2 desktops running 1709 and 1 laptop running win7. Laptop will see laptop, but nothing else. Sometimes 1 desktop will see all 3 and the other will not see any and vice versa. I even did a clean install on mine and still does it.

Madness10, Nov 23, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    For Home Networking, It is best to assign a static IP address for each device and this is done in the router, so each time you turn on a device, the exact same IP will be assigned to it. This will avoid the problem with DNS cache out of sync between the device(s) and the router & conflict IP assignment.

For example, let say you have 3 PC's: PC1, PC2 and PC3. When you turn on the PC's:
    • 192.168.1.2 is assigned to PC1
    • 192.168.1.3 is assigned to PC2
    • 192.168.1.4 is assigned to PC3
    Now, shutdown P2 and PC3 then turn PC3 back on first, The router DHCP might assign 192.168.1.3 to PC3 and your PC3 DNS cache still have 192.168.1.4 assigned to it. So the DNS cache in your PC3 is out of sync, you'd need to flush & renew the DNS cache in your PC3 to reflect the change using: ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /renew

With static IP assignment (Fixed IP) you would not have this problem no matter which PC you turn on first because the IP is bound to the network adapter MAC ID and always be the same. Here's a screen shot of my Home Network and I have about ~20 devices: Smart TV's, android, Iphone, PC's etc.... and never have any problem.

Very unstable local network [​IMG]

topgundcp, Nov 24, 2017
  7. Madness10 Win User
    I have static IP's for all 3 of our computers, but is done thru the OS, not the router. Does that make a difference?

Madness10, Nov 25, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

I just had a similar problem but the fixed IP addresses didn't work for me. All worked fine as soon as I manually set enable NetBIOS in the TCP/IPv4 options for the network adapter on each PC. Also, check you are on a private network, using the same Workgroup name and that each PC is discoverable and file & printer sharing is on for all options under Advanced Sharing Settings. You need to give access to Everyone under both the Sharing and Security tabs under the file/folder properties.

Steve C, Nov 25, 2017
  9. Madness10 Win User
    Been doing that for many of years now ever since win95. Tried the NetBIOS trick and it lasted for that day. Turned on computers this morning and back to the same way again. Something about the 1709 update that is resetting itself overnight.

Madness10, Nov 25, 2017
  10. topgundcp Win User
    The Router DHCP assign the IP to your PC. Not the other way around. In addition, it's easier to manage in the router than separately on each device.
    If your Network configured correctly, you should not have to turn on NETBIOS.

topgundcp, Nov 25, 2017
  11. Madness10 Win User
    Now, I've been reading that with the 1709 update, that MS broke the ability to network share. I've been doing network share for many of years now and never had an issue until the 1709 update.

Madness10, Nov 25, 2017
  12. Madness10 Win User
    I tried it your way with the static being on the router and not the OS and couldn't see anything at all in the network screen. I'm just going to put it back to normal and see if MS puts out a fi for it.

Madness10, Nov 25, 2017
  13. topgundcp Win User

Did you power cycle the router and all devices ?

topgundcp, Nov 25, 2017
  14. Samuria Win User
    You should be able to connect ok using IP the problem is the time it takes for master browser to get the list

Samuria, Nov 25, 2017
  15. Madness10 Win User
    Very unstable local network [​IMG]
    Yes. I restarted all the devices then opened up network and nothing showed up. 3 computers, bluray and 1 printer. I may have found a workaround. Was reading and researching and found that if you install simple Network Management Protocol, which is not installed by default, it will allow the network to see everything that is on the network.

Madness10, Nov 26, 2017
Thema:

1. Very unstable local network - Similar Threads - Very unstable local

2. Windows 11 very unstable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 very unstable: I have just allowed most of our machines and users to upgrade to windows 11.I have pushed the windows 11 update to my particular machine. I keep getting really buggy operation.From taskbar freezing and delays, to printer driver issues.One of the most annoying ones, is trying...
  3. Windows 11 very unstable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 very unstable: I have just allowed most of our machines and users to upgrade to windows 11.I have pushed the windows 11 update to my particular machine. I keep getting really buggy operation.From taskbar freezing and delays, to printer driver issues.One of the most annoying ones, is trying...
  4. My Ethernet status is very unstable

My Ethernet status is very unstable: Hi,Last year, I tried to update my Win10 system, but I had put the update on hold because it constantly gave me errors.It was around this time that I had a problem with my Ethernet. I have not been able to connect to my Ethernet, but the wifi is working. Since our network is...
  5. My Ethernet status is very unstable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Ethernet status is very unstable: Hi,Last year, I tried to update my Win10 system, but I had put the update on hold because it constantly gave me errors.It was around this time that I had a problem with my Ethernet. I have not been able to connect to my Ethernet, but the wifi is working. Since our network is...
  6. the very unstable windows that everyone ignores

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the very unstable windows that everyone ignores: i leave with three PC's on, one is connected to one with RDPI come back and one is at a black screen that says because of a protocol errorreconnect to RDP and it connects as if nothing happened, unstable but ignore it, who cares RDP works for you so obviously it works...
  7. the very unstable windows that everyone ignores

the very unstable windows that everyone ignores: i leave with three PC's on, one is connected to one with RDPI come back and one is at a black screen that says because of a protocol errorreconnect to RDP and it connects as if nothing happened, unstable but ignore it, who cares RDP works for you so obviously it works...
  8. Unstable WiFi Networks

Unstable WiFi Networks: Wifi connection is keeps on connecting and disconnecting randomly. It's very annoying to work with that. I tried using another system and it worked fine on it. I tried updating and reinstalling the drivers from the device manager but no help. Update windows to latest...
  9. home network unstable

home network unstable: Hi All I am running Win 10 1903 on two computers on my home network. The main computer's folder/files keeps dropping out of the network and need resetting about every few days, then it is fine for another few days before dropping out again. It still maintains the network...
  10. WiFi connection very unstable.

WiFi connection very unstable.: Hi, I have an HP 250 G3 laptop running with Windows 10. The problem is with the wifi connection, it falls out too often, every five minuts more or less. I uninstalled the WiFi adapter and installed it again several times already, and it's updated too. Can anybody help,...