Windows 10: Very unusual RAM problem

Discus and support Very unusual RAM problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello folks, I'm having a minor issue here. I'm running Windows 10, and ever since I've been running it I've encountered this in Task Manager. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AnOKSparrow, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Very unusual RAM problem

Hello folks, I'm having a minor issue here.
    I'm running Windows 10, and ever since I've been running it I've encountered this in Task Manager.
    Now I noticed it says compressed, but I'm still unsure on wether or not my system is actually functioning properly.

Very unusual RAM problem [​IMG]

I'm running absolutely nothing at all yet I still see all of that ram being In Use. Is this normal? I'm in doubt because of the compressed thing.

Update.
    I heard people mentioning drivers a couple of times. The guy in the link I posted in the comments mentioned it only happens when he downloads something. I seem to have that in common with him after testing. What I don't have in common with him is that he says his drivers are up to date, whereas mine (according to Driver Booster) were very old, including my network adapter driver, which seems to be connected to it only happening when downloading.

Update.
    I updated my drivers including the network adapter one, started a download and it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. If the problem doesn't come up for the next couple of days, I'll set the topic to fixed. *Smile

Final update.
    I fixed it! It was definately the driver. As soon as it updated, the issue stopped coming back even when downloading.

:)

AnOKSparrow, Nov 7, 2016
  2. tbajpai Win User

N97 Very Unusual Problem.

Can we have someone from the Nokia pay heat to this problem plz, now the new firmware ver.12 is out and it is really getting on my nerves being not able to upgrade, as the OTA upgrade for the same is not available.

tbajpai, Nov 7, 2016
  3. tbajpai Win User
    N97 Very Unusual Problem.

Agreed in all sense, but the only issue we are discussing is that in case if such a problem has arisen then some type of solution has to be provided.

We buy such costly handsets, only to find that the firm ware is buggy. Then if one wants to upgrade the same he is unable to.

In the forum when we are seeking answer to problem no one seems to bother/care.

So what is one supposed to do. Don you think at times it really becomes very frustrating.

I request the Nokia team to at least respond to the problem rather than moderating peoples problem.

Regards,

tbajpai, Nov 7, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Very unusual RAM problem

The problem is the Non-paged pool memory. Usually this is caused by a driver problem, possibly malware. It has nothing to do with compressed memory.

Sorry, can't help further with that.

LMiller7, Nov 7, 2016
  5. Risk Win User
    !) Try the memory diagnostics tool under administrative tools. 2) Let windows manage your page file. 30) Run a virus scan and update drivers

Risk, Nov 7, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Compressed is not an issue, it's total memory in use that's a problem. There's no way if absolutely nothing (special) is running, so much would be used. There must be a memory leak somewhere or something is running in the background and you can't see it.
    What does it show in Processes ?

CountMike, Nov 7, 2016
  7. Virus scan and anti malware bytes in safe mode resulted in absolutely nothing. Will update on what happens when I run Memory Diagnostics tool.
    It showed nothing unusual. MSINFO32 showed that I had 8gb installed, and 201 available aswell.
    Processes showed nothing but the standard programs. Virus scan, windows startup stuff. The total amount of all the processes didn´t even come close to 7.6gb. Not even 1 when I add everything up.

AnOKSparrow, Nov 7, 2016
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Very unusual RAM problem

There are users of memory that are not processes. At times they may become VERY significant. In particular these are the file cache, resident portion of the Paged pool, and the Non paged pool. Task Manager clearly shows that in this case the cause is the Non paged pool which at 6.5 GB is more than 80% of RAM. Typically it would be less than the Paged pool. This usage is very real and is in fact far more serious than just about any other memory usage. Most other memory can be paged out at the discretion of the memory manager. Not so for the Non paged pool. Every byte of this must remain in RAM at all times, even in the event of the most severe memory pressure. This what the term Non paged means.

Typically the cause would be a driver problem.

LMiller7, Nov 7, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    You really need to be looking at the running processes. This is where SysInternals Process Explorer comes in handy. Looking at the nice colorful graphic for the RAM does nothing.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  10. AndreyT Win User
    Switch to "Details" tab, enable "NP pool" column and see which processes have the highest "NP pool" values.

AndreyT, Nov 7, 2016
  11. Very unusual RAM problem [​IMG]

Update.
    SOLVED Physical Memory at 97% - Huge Non Paged Pool! [Solved] - Performance - Windows 8 seems to be similiar. Gonna check out that particular solution if updating drivers doesn't work.

Using Driver Booster (was recommended by some other sites) to check outdated drivers because that also seems very likeable.

Update.
    I heard people mentioning drivers a couple of times. The guy in the link I posted in the previous update mentioned it only happens when he downloads something. I seem to have that in common with him after testing. What I don't have in common with him is that he says his drivers are up to date, whereas mine (according to Driver Booster) was very old. I updated it just now, and am about to throw on uTorrent to test it.

AnOKSparrow, Nov 8, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    You need to sort the CPU % to highest number at the top. The Memory also needs to be sorted with highest RAM used at the top. You are best to be using Systernals Process Explorer from Microsoft.com to find out what Sub-Process is sucking CPU and RAM.

Windows 8.x was bad on RAM use. Windows 10 was a lot better when it came out as a RTM. Since they have pushed out the AU, it has made a mess out of the OS and now Windows 7 is actually becoming the better OS.

When you are looking at the RAM use and CPU, you need to not be running any programs like torrents or even downloading stuff from something called Driver Booster, which can actually plant malware disguised as a legal process on your system.

Get Process Explorer and reboot Windows with no extra programs running, by following the info at How to Make Your Windows 10 PC Boot Faster How to read and understand Task Manager How to use Task Manager to optimize your Windows 10 experience | Windows Central

When you get a base of 10 with minimal startup options and programs not running in the background, then you boot normal and using Process Explorer, start pinning down the stuff that is causing Memory Leaks or are just pure RAM hogs. Depending on how much RAM your Motherboard can take and running x64 of Windows 10. It would not be a waste to put in some more. I found out that my wife's laptop runs better with 12GB in it, then it did with 8GB. Also it allows you to adjust the Page file better and also tweak out Super and Pre-Fetch if you are not using a Hybrid or SSD.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Very unusual RAM problem

1. Very unusual RAM problem - Similar Threads - Very unusual RAM

2. Unusual problem with Ram and Blue Screen windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusual problem with Ram and Blue Screen windows 10: Funny thing last month My HP 6300 windows 10 'all of a sudden' displayed the fatal Blue Screen Death BSD .. and after the third/fourth time I took notice of its error code and it displayed on my monitor something about RAM.. So having four sticks of 4GB ram I removed them all...
  3. Unusual problem with Ram and Blue Screen windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unusual problem with Ram and Blue Screen windows 10: Funny thing last month My HP 6300 windows 10 'all of a sudden' displayed the fatal Blue Screen Death BSD .. and after the third/fourth time I took notice of its error code and it displayed on my monitor something about RAM.. So having four sticks of 4GB ram I removed them all...
  4. Unusual problem with Ram and Blue Screen windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Highly to me unusual ram usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Highly to me unusual ram usage: I have tried many times over months to find what is causing this issue, but everything leads to a dead end. I heard standby is supposed to be decently high, but I don't think its supposed to be this high. I really don't want to upgrade my ram beyond how much I already have,...
  6. Highly to me unusual ram usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Highly to me unusual ram usage: I have tried many times over months to find what is causing this issue, but everything leads to a dead end. I heard standby is supposed to be decently high, but I don't think its supposed to be this high. I really don't want to upgrade my ram beyond how much I already have,...
  7. A very strange and unusual problems about apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    A very strange and unusual problems about apps: so i was working with my computer just fine, when i was about to open a program that doesn't contains GUI only command prompt interface supported by that program. yes, as you might expect. i'm opening cmd then a two windows cmd come. but i requested to start only one command...
  8. I have a very unusual issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have a very unusual issue: My computer is going in for repairs so I’m working on my grandson’s computer it’s a HP 15 f387wm laptop running windows 10. The problem is the screen doesn’t work. So I’m running it through my TV. The other problem is we don’t have the password and it showing his email is the...
  9. Unusually high RAM usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unusually high RAM usage: Over the past few days I've noticed a significant increase in RAM usage. What used to only be like 10 GB is now well over 50 gb. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unusually-high-ram-usage/1171a391-617e-4d3f-b3d6-7e1def1c90b2
  10. very unusual keyboard issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    very unusual keyboard issue: Hi fellow Geeks: i have been researching this for over a week prior to asking for help... Long story short…keyboard stopped working on laptop, dell 5759 touch screen..nothing on it was working…. I am rather computer savy, hence I did do they obvious things, including...