Windows 10: VHD issues on reboot

Discus and support VHD issues on reboot in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello I am trying to get the latest update of windows 10. The problem is my tablet does not have enough space. So I made a VHD. I told it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Durk, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Durk Win User

VHD issues on reboot

Hello

I am trying to get the latest update of windows 10. The problem is my tablet does not have enough space. So I made a VHD.

I told it to load automatically on reboot using these instructions

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...tml#post545537

While it does load itself without issue when I do the updates and tell them to install there that part goes well But on reboot it is asking me to insert my external media and press OK when ready.

The 60 GB SD card is already inserted during reboot but it doesn't seem to be detected while attempting to load the updates to finalize installation.

Any ideas?

the VHD seems to work flawlessly other than that.

:)

2. Trying to boot up a VHD (that has been native-booted) in Hyper-V doesn't work.

So my main system cannot run a few apps, but my VHD can.

To take off a few minutes of waiting for the machine to reboot, then load up, I would like to have the VHD being able to boot in Hyper-V. The issue is, it doesn't work, and It's stuck at a screen where there's a blinking underscore.

How can I fix this?

DylanDuong, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Hyper-V does not start after renaming/losing additional vhd.

Hello everybody,

I seem to have some issues with Hyper-V starting a virtual machine.

After adding a VHD to the machine, if said VHD is lost/renamed the virtual machine will not start.

Any workarounds that can be used to make the machine start even if the VHD is missing will be greatly appreciated

[moved from German forums]

Antonio Marculescu, Dec 14, 2016
  4. DavidY Win User

VHD issues on reboot

Do I understand that the VHD is auto-mounting correctly when in normal use?
    But during the Windows 10 update it isn't working correctly?
    I've had problems with SD cards not working during the update process, so I'm not entirely surprised.

Which Windows 10 update are you trying to do - is it to install the "Anniversary Update"? Or it is the Windows Cumulative Update process?
    Looking at your post on the other forum, your tablet only has 16GB of disk space?

DavidY, Dec 14, 2016
  5. Durk Win User
    That is correct. So when normally booted the tablet loads the VHD without issue on bootup. However when I direct the updates to that VHD drive they download and install there but upon reboot the VHD is not able to load to complete the installation.

Yes this is to install the anniversary update 1607 is the number. I am currently running 1511. Regular updates seems to go through without issue as I updated to 1511 without a problem but that I believe ate up the last of my C drive.

Correct it only has 15 gbs of drive space. it is a 7" tablet that originally ran windows 8.

I have already run compression on my C drive using the command prompts, deleted language packs, and ran disk cleanup to delete my old windows version from the drive. so that was able to free up about 3.5 gb for me last I checked but I did not look at it since trying to install 1607.

6. DavidY Win User
    15GB isn't a lot - I have a 32GB device and I even struggle with that to get updates done.
    How are you trying to use the VHD?

DavidY, Dec 15, 2016
  7. Durk Win User
    I have 16 GB for C and most of it is filled. then I have my SD card which is 50GB so I set the VHD to come off that so it tricks windows into thinking there is more dirve space as updates says it needs 3 gb more space.

My main drive is C
    SD card is D which is then setup and formatted for the VHD
    VHD drive is E.

So when I go into the updates scren it says to fix the issue click here and to select an option for more space. doing my SD card alone was not working which is why I setup the VHD. So I select the VHD from that menu it begins the install/update process and needs to reboot.

it goes into configuring then reboots and on reboot it cant find the VHD to finish the install of updates.

8. Kari Win User

VHD issues on reboot

Am I misunderstanding something here?

It is not possible to upgrade Windows when it is installed on a VHD in native boot. When tried, an error message will tell that the machine (VHD) can't run Windows 10 which is a bit misleading said, but then clarifies the reason:

VHD issues on reboot [​IMG]

Screenshot from Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD - Windows 10 Tutorials.

9. cereberus Win User
    OP could clean install to a vhd but need to use diskpart commands from admin command prompt. As you say upgrading is impossible.

It is virtually impossible to upgrade a 16GB tablet.

cereberus, Dec 16, 2016
  10. Durk Win User
    Kari I am not trying to upgrade to windows 10 I already have it installed. I am just trying to install an update to windows 10 but I am working with limited space which is why I went to VHD which is possible to install updates too though had to get it working. which is where I am at.

11. Durk Win User
    I am not trying to upgrade to windows 10 so there is no issue. I already have windows 10 installed.

Thema:

VHD issues on reboot

1. VHD issues on reboot - Similar Threads - VHD issues reboot

2. Reboot issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reboot issue: PC was factory reset, now its stuck on the blue loading screen where it wont even get past or load to set up the pc. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reboot-issue/a7662fc7-58fe-4a09-81b7-089017a0e837
  3. Reboot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reboot issue: PC was factory reset, now its stuck on the blue loading screen where it wont even get past or load to set up the pc. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reboot-issue/a7662fc7-58fe-4a09-81b7-089017a0e837
  4. Reboot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Vhd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vhd: How do I convert back from a vhd after I made it I realized I do not need it and it's taking up a lot of my storage space how do I flip it back into physical storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/21a5eb1e-18bf-4f96-88c4-0d7a95ab3a73
  6. Reboot issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reboot issue: When i am connecting my laptop Lenovo Idea pad 330 with the Syrotech -GPON-1110-WDONT modem Wi-Fi modem the modem getting rebooting .Please help me what is the issue i connected with with Syrotech support team they are unable to help. If it is hardware issue or software...
  7. Reboot Issues

Reboot Issues: Hi, every time my computer restarts all my data is erased or at least not completely because i still see that the amount of storage in my device decreased by a little bit. Also, when i go to command prompt i see that the hostname says "temp," is it supposed to be like that?...
  8. VHD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VHD: just a small question. can i delete a vhd after i hv mounted it permanently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/deab598a-d7fe-4c5c-ace2-91003242d580
  9. Attaching a VHD

Attaching a VHD: I am running Windows 10, the latest build and created a Windows Image Backup image with Backup and Restore (Windows 7) from the control panel. To see if it works, I opened Disk Management and clicked on Action - Attach VHD and clicked on the VHD file, which is located on an...
  10. Reboot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot issues: I boiught a new Dell Laptop came with Windows 10 and every now and again it reboots with no reason I do my updates daily I even did a diagnostic in Bios set start up programs to on what needed I give up I thought Windows 10 was suppose to be better I'm thinking on going...