Windows 10: Video codec installed - how to find out

Discus and support Video codec installed - how to find out in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a problem with playing videos for some video types, in Google Picasa, it works well in one system but not the other, despite, I think, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ffrree, Nov 19, 2017.

1. ffrree Win User

Video codec installed - how to find out

I have a problem with playing videos for some video types, in Google Picasa, it works well in one system but not the other, despite, I think, I have installed all the correct and identical codecs in both.

So I was wondering if I did install identical set of codecs.

Is there anyway I can find out which codec were installed in a particular system, and hopefully, the version installed etc.?

cheers

:)

ffrree, Nov 19, 2017
  2. bjackox Win User

Windows Media Player 10 Part Screen Distortion

I have this issue with MP4 files on the WMV player only. Other apps/video playing programs play the video just fine. Why not update your own codecs for windows users? You know it's faulty, how about rolling out an update for Windows Media Player? I'll
    go and find some updated codec packs, but I can also go find a working Apple Product.

bjackox, Nov 19, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows Media Player

A codec is needed to uncompress media, which typically arrives compressed. Windows Media Player includes some of the most common codecs but evidentally it doesn't have the codec for your video. Here are two possible solutions:

If you're a geek:

Contact the content provider and find out what codec was used to compress the video. Search the internet for a way to add that codec to WMP.

If you're normal:

Install the very popular (and safe)
    VLC Media Player
    , which ships with many more codecs. VLC plays just about everything.

I wouldn't necessarily call this a failing on the part of Windows Media Player. Playing media is what VLC does - the only thing it does. Windows has many more parts to attend to.

BulldogXX, Nov 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  5. If you install K-Lite Codec Pack, it will detect broken/duplicate codecs and remove or update them.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Video codec installed - how to find out - Similar Threads - Video codec installed

2. video codecs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video codecs: information about video codec https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-codecs/ebd1279a-4645-443b-8d58-dada726dbfb6
  3. video codecs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    video codecs: information about video codec https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-codecs/ebd1279a-4645-443b-8d58-dada726dbfb6
  4. VP9 Video Codec

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VP9 Video Codec: Nessus scan has critical hits on the VP9 Video Extension. Need to update file, but systems are on a closed network. How to download file update for offline installation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vp9-video-codec/8792ecb7-4b0c-4a4d-a375-d8366f2fb455
  5. VP9 Video Codec

VP9 Video Codec: Nessus scan has critical hits on the VP9 Video Extension. Need to update file, but systems are on a closed network. How to download file update for offline installation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vp9-video-codec/8792ecb7-4b0c-4a4d-a375-d8366f2fb455
  6. codec for mp4 video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    codec for mp4 video: when i copy over a mp4 video from my pc to usb jump drive, i get this error message:Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.anyone knows how to solve this issue?...
  7. Download and install HEVC video extension codec

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Download and install HEVC video extension codec: Reference: Case#1011922759 I purchased HEVC video extension but was not able to download and install on my windows 10. Microsoft technician assisted me yesterday by implanting and starting upgrade to Windows 10 version 2004. But Unable to install this Windows 10 upgrade...
  8. How do I find the missing codec of an .mov?

How do I find the missing codec of an .mov?: Upon opening up an .MOV file. I get the message: Missing codec. This item was encoded in a format that's not supported. 0xc00d5212. I have opened up many other like files without a problem. The video function is not working. The audio function works. I can open up the...
  9. How to install video codec WMvideo Decoder Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install video codec WMvideo Decoder Windows 10?: Hello, I have been trying to run this terrible game called Resident evil 3 and the game freezes up at the logo exe stopped working. There was a message says I need to download video codec WMvideo Decoder? I want to download it from Microsoft website and not other places as...
  10. ?Codec? to watch video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ?Codec? to watch video: I cannot watch a video on my laptop windows 10 from the SD card from my camera . ?? I may need to add a "codec" WTH? is it free and can someone help me to put this on my computer please....