Windows 10: Video Playback Freezes

Discus and support Video Playback Freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all~ When I play videos on my laptop, the picture and audio will freeze after about 15 minutes while the timeline continues to move. If I wait for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by windowstenuser, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Video Playback Freezes

Hi all~ When I play videos on my laptop, the picture and audio will freeze after about 15 minutes while the timeline continues to move. If I wait for a minute, the picture will suddenly fast forward, trying to catch up to the timeline, while the audio resumes normally. Once the picture catches up, it freezes again while the audio and timeline continue. At this point, I have to click on a spot in the timeline to sync the picture, audio, and timeline again. This usually happens once or twice while playing a 25-minute video.

If I try stopping the video or clicking out of the program while the picture/audio are frozen, then the program will say "not responding," and it takes a minute or two for the program to close successfully.

This happens when I play MKV videos on VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, and Windows Media Player Classic. I've had my laptop for 9 months, and I first noticed this issue within the past 7 days. I remember that there were a ton of windows updates at the end of August. I wonder if the latest windows update caused this problem? I attempted system restore, but it doesn't work. It keeps saying that it's missing a file and recommends that I turn off my anti-virus program, which I did. But then again, the only system restore point I have is when Windows made a critical update, so that might not have worked anyways.

And of course, I rebooted my laptop several times already.

Any suggestions?

:)

windowstenuser, Sep 9, 2016
  2. ichwong Win User

N78 video playback problem

I experience intermittent video playback problem. The video playback freeze intermittently while the sound playback continues normally. I'm sure it is not a problem with the video file as the point of video freeze is random. The problem occurs for both
    streaming video as well as downloaded video.

I tried different video format (3GP and MP4) and still experience the similar problem. I run the video playback with the following configuration for most of the time:

Video resolution: 320x240

Video format: 3GP or Mpeg4

Video length: around 20 minutes

Video size: around 150MB

Playback screen: full size

I'm quite disappointed as N-series is always branded as the multimedia powerhouse. However, it fails immediately when I played few video clips.

Any one face the similar problem?

ichwong, Sep 9, 2016
  3. 1dotr Win User
    N79: Bugs from new 11.049 firmware updates

More bugs discovered:

1. Video playback occasionally lags severely, eg random 10 sec pauses during video playback.

2. Unlocking keypad occasionally freezes

1dotr, Sep 9, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Video Playback Freezes

I've been having a few gremlins with VLC. I've now uninstalled it and just use the Films & TV app which is good enough for my purposes.

Steve C, Sep 9, 2016
  5. This happens with the app too. =/

windowstenuser, Sep 11, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Some ideas:
    • Try running the Troubleshooters at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Hardware and Sound
    • Run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check/fix system files
    • Reinstall your graphics and audio drivers/software with the latest versions
    • Repair install Windows

Steve C, Sep 11, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

see if you have hardware acceleration enabled on your video - if it IS enabled try disabling it - or if it isn't enabled try enabling it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Video Playback Freezes

1. Video Playback Freezes - Similar Threads - Video Playback Freezes

2. Video playback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video playback: When i playa video or use xcloud my video playback is white and light and i tried everything to fix it please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback/15380370-361e-4b56-a59f-26b45f63c704
  3. PC completely freezes during video playback

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC completely freezes during video playback: Any time I watch back one of the videos on any of my hard drives the video randomly stops and my PC just freezes up after about 2 mins of watching. sometimes i can close the media player and move the mouse around but nothing will work. Also sometimes i can hit Ctrl Alt Del...
  4. Video Playback

Video Playback: Why can I not watch any videos on my Windows 10 laptop. This includes YouTube and any video. The sound is perfect. There are lots of solutions on line but none work for me. Any help please?...
  5. video playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    video playback: Using Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series and after a recent Window 10 update, all video playback and cursor movement are both choppy or stuttering. Audio is okay. I have updated all drivers but without any results. Thanks....
  6. video playback

video playback: Dell laptop running win 10 ver 1903 message your browser does not support video playback https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback/abe1093d-9b0d-4171-9cc1-6b5a8bb71c2d
  7. Video playback

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video playback: Just realized that videos that I can play back on Windows media player on my Vista laptop will not play back on my Windows 10 laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback/93491059-7e45-440e-9434-5c9a30382d85
  8. Video Playback

Video Playback: When I go to Netflix, amazon video, u-tube etc. and play a video it goes to max size and I can see only about an eighth of it. Until I hit play, all is normal. I have looked at all settings and can find nothing. HELP!...
  9. Video playback

Video playback: Hi, my laptop recently crashed whilst playing video and now most of the time when playing video, be it using Google Chrome, Windows media player or even the video in the video playback settings, the red and green will be desaturated leaving mostly just the blue, dose not...
  10. Videos playback

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Videos playback: Since a couple of days ago I cannot play videos properly (on line, or from my own files on the computer). I posted this in a Chrome Forum, it explains my problem: For me, this just started recently (a few days ago) and it does not affect all videos, just some seemingly at...