Windows 10: Video Playback Freezing and Slowing, Gets Worse Over Time

Discus and support Video Playback Freezing and Slowing, Gets Worse Over Time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have a bit of an odd problem that I can't seem to find a solution to so I hope you can help me out. Thanks for taking the time to read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hicoga, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Hicoga Win User

Video Playback Freezing and Slowing, Gets Worse Over Time

Hey guys, I have a bit of an odd problem that I can't seem to find a solution to so I hope you can help me out. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

So I have a laptop that runs Windows 10. I just bought it as a thing to take to college about two years ago and then I have my main computer back home. It's really cheap and I definitely don't expect it to be able to do anything really intensive, but it's always played video just fine.

Recently, I was watching a YouTube video and the video began freezing and buffering as if the internet connection was cutting out, which it wasn't. The audio will cut out and the video moves sluggishly like the computer is struggling to play it. I can check Task Manager and I see that my browser is taking up nearly 90% of my CPU. I'm assuming this is what's causing the slowdown.

So here's the weird thing.

I switch to a different browser and everything works fine. Videos load and play flawlessly... for about a day or so. Then the same problem occurs just like it did on the old browser.

In addition, I usually go home on the weekends and so my laptop is left unused for a few days, When I come back, for the first day or so, it's back to working fine again. Then, at some point during the week the videos will start freezing and struggling to play and overloading the CPU.

I just find it odd that it seems to fix itself and then come back once I've used it enough.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much!

:)

Hicoga, Feb 26, 2018

2. windows 10 update made my computer run like po po

after the update to windows 10 my computer is slow it freezes all the time my video playback sucks my games on Facebook skip and freeze and opening new windows is slow

bonemarrowy2k, Feb 26, 2018
  3. Online videos out of sync

For me the issue started after installing the Fall Creators Update on my Surface Pro 2017.

It happens when streaming web videos with Edge and other browsers from YouTube and other video sites. The longer the video, the worse the problem.

It seems video playback in the FCU is implemented very poorly, audio works fine, but video falls behind during playback, getting progressively out of sync with the audio. Looks like a performance issue.

Even the volume adjustment overlay from the volume buttons of the Surface Pro slows video playback down, while audio works fine. Maximizing the video to full screen during playback also seems to cause video playback to fall behind more.

You can actually see the video freezing either completely, or on certain areas, for fractions of a second, while the audio continues to work fine the entire time, and after the freeze the video becomes
    even more out of sync with the audio.

My internet connection is very good, 100 Mbit up and down, so it's not that. The videos are not buffering so the internet connection it's fine.

I'm guessing Windows introduced an issue somewhere between the video codec and video card driver. Further guessing, probably caused by the new video playback settings that are inexplicably under the "Apps" section. Or maybe the settings for Gaming. Like
    the Game DVR stuff.

Whatever it is, it's very annoying.

Looking at the falling quality of Windows 10 in the last few years, does Microsoft even have any testers left, or is everyone at Microsoft already using Macs and doesn't care about Windows users?

Vlad Nicolici, Feb 26, 2018
  4. Hicoga Win User

Anyone have any ideas?

Hicoga, Feb 27, 2018
  5. Please install all available important Windows updates, you can check and install Windows updates by opening "Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Windows Update" applet and click "Check for updates".

Secunia PSI is a tool that can be used to monitor your installed applications for new updates. When started, Secunia PSI will scan your computer for applications and install any updates that are available for them. This allows your computer to remain secure from possible vulnerabilities in your installed programs.

Make sure to keep your antivirus software up to date.

Visit your laptop manufacturer website to download and install latest versions of all device drivers including graphic card driver.

Start your web browser in safe mode with add-ons disabled to find out if any one of the add-ons causing the problem.

Lets scan your computer for malware infections:

Malwarebytes' scanner
    If this program is already installed: Skip the installation and run only the scan!
    Download and install: Please download Malwarebytes' scanner to your desktop.

• Double-click mb3-setup-consumer-3.x.x.xxxx and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • Click Finish.
    • On the Dashboard, click the 'Check for Updates' button.
    • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now' button.
    • A Threat Scan will begin. Please allow it to progress through the scanning process.
    • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Quarantines Selected button to allow the program to clean what was detected.
    • In most cases, a restart will be required.
    • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

How to get logs: (Export log to save as txt)

• After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open Malwarebytes once more.
    • Click on the Reports tab > Scan Report. (if you have done more than one scan in the past, select the most recent that shows the Date and time of the scan just performed. Press View Report button.
    • Click 'Export'.
    • Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
    • In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
    • In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.
    • A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
    • Click Ok
    • Find the log on your Desktop and Attach that saved log to your next reply.

(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)

Download the right Windows bit version (32-bit or 64-bit) of RogueKiller

• Quit all running programs
    • Once done, move the executable file to your Desktop, right-click on it and select
      Video Playback Freezing and Slowing, Gets Worse Over Time [​IMG]
      Run as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users)
    • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
    • Click on the Start Scan button in the right panel, which will bring you to another tab, and click on it again (this time it'll be in the bottom right corner)
    • Wait for the scan to complete
    • On completion, the results will be displayed. Click on the Open Report button in the bottom left corner, followed by the Open TXT button (also in the bottom left corner)
    • This will open the report in Notepad. Copy/paste its content in your next reply

Please download Malwarebytes' AdwCleaner onto your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner_xxxx.exe to run the tool.
    • Click on Scan.
    • After done scanning, please hit Logfile. Locate the logfile in the Scan tab, double-click on it, copy the information inside of it, and paste it into your next reply.
    • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Sx].txt as well.

FreeBooter, Feb 27, 2018
  6. Hicoga Win User
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry for taking so long to get back to this.

I went ahead and updated Windows and checked for diver updates as well. Malwarebytes didn't find anything but Rogue only found a few minor things that I deleted.

Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

Hicoga, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Video Playback Freezing and Slowing, Gets Worse Over Time - Similar Threads - Video Playback Freezing

2. Color gets worse after a few seconds of Video playback in browser.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Color gets worse after a few seconds of Video playback in browser.: You can see two screenshots, both are screenshots from the same YouTube Video at the same time, so the source is exactly the same. The one with way better colors was made when the video is paused. The other one after a few seconds of video playback. For me the colors suddenly...
  3. Color gets worse after a few seconds of Video playback in browser.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Color gets worse after a few seconds of Video playback in browser.: You can see two screenshots, both are screenshots from the same YouTube Video at the same time, so the source is exactly the same. The one with way better colors was made when the video is paused. The other one after a few seconds of video playback. For me the colors suddenly...
  4. Color gets worse after a few seconds of Video playback in browser.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 video lagging behind audio and gets worse over time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 video lagging behind audio and gets worse over time: I have an Asus tuf f15 and upgraded to windows 11. Everything was working correctly but ever since I upgraded to windows 11 I have started to get a problem where after watching say Netflix, youtube, or anything for a bit the video starts to lag behind the audio.it becomes...
  6. Windows 11 video lagging behind audio and gets worse over time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 video lagging behind audio and gets worse over time: I have an Asus tuf f15 and upgraded to windows 11. Everything was working correctly but ever since I upgraded to windows 11 I have started to get a problem where after watching say Netflix, youtube, or anything for a bit the video starts to lag behind the audio.it becomes...
  7. NO BSOD random crashes, getting worse over time.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NO BSOD random crashes, getting worse over time.: Hey everybody, I'm very new here so if this isn't the place to post just let me know. I have a problem that has stumped family friends and reddit denizens, hoping I can get a better opinion here. My machine has been restarting randomly, while not under load. I ccould play a 4...
  8. Slow playback issue over any media content, triggered over time

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow playback issue over any media content, triggered over time: Hello, I'm having an issue with media content (mostly videos) that I'm not sure how to troubleshoot and I'm writting here to see if anyone can shed some light over this issue. Right now I'm running Windows 10 Education with a Sound Blaster Omni and Nvidia graphics card and...
  9. slow video playback media

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    slow video playback media: fix slow video playback https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-video-playback-media/f072d78b-0e42-487f-8545-8140d6ad1d0e
  10. Video Playback Freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Playback Freezes: Hi all~ When I play videos on my laptop, the picture and audio will freeze after about 15 minutes while the timeline continues to move. If I wait for a minute, the picture will suddenly fast forward, trying to catch up to the timeline, while the audio resumes normally. Once...