Windows 10: "Video TDR Failure" Intermittent BSOD

Discus and support "Video TDR Failure" Intermittent BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've had this problem for a couple of months now. Most often the BSOD gives the stop code VIDEO TDR FAILURE, from atikmpag.sys. But I have gotten... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wthit56, Dec 10, 2016.

1. wthit56 Win User

"Video TDR Failure" Intermittent BSOD

I've had this problem for a couple of months now. Most often the BSOD gives the stop code VIDEO TDR FAILURE, from atikmpag.sys.

But I have gotten VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR. And from ddkmd.sys.

I did think at one point that it was related to coming back from Hibernation or Sleep, but sometimes I get a BSOD when it's booted from a full shutdown. Often happens when I open a new graphics-intensive tab or have been watching a Youtube video for a few hours, things like that.

I have tried to use WinDBG, but it's just too low level for me to figure out on my own. Would love any help you can give.

[Edit] There are other symptoms that have appeared around the same time which could be related, all indicating the graphics card bugging out. Sometimes the screen goes black while everything else works fine (audio, keyboard, etc.). Sometimes the mouse still works somehow, sometimes it lags severely, sometimes it just completely freezes.

Just now I was trying to use ffmpeg. The machine kept doing that blank-screen freeze until I tried doing nothing but doing the ffmpeg task straight after I booted back up. Then it worked okay.

:)

wthit56, Dec 10, 2016

2. PC restarts whenever I select an image to enlarge. Error: Video TDR Failure

Using Bing. "Video TDR Failure" I have the latest drivers.

CalvinMacon, Dec 10, 2016
  3. Got an error message "video tdr failure".

After I got massage " Video tdr failure" first time, I changed hard drive and reinstall Windows10, upgrade RAM from 2Mb to 8 Mb, and finally replace my graphic card with new one (ASUS, motherboard is also ASUS).

Nothing solved problem.

Still after starting computer get blue screen massage "Video tdr failure" computer shut down without starting Windows, and keep restarting.

Do you have any idea what to do next?

Dragon from BC, Dec 10, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

lifetec, Dec 11, 2016
  5. wthit56 Win User
    I have tried to update the drivers, but the AMD site says that the only available download for it is Catalyst 13.1 for Windows 8. The link for said download doesn't actually take me to such a download. I've downloaded it from another site, but it always gives a "Driver Install: the specified driver package was not installed for matching devices" warning message at the end of the install.

I have even tried uninstalling, and using a piece of software that removes all trace of the old Catalyst install. I believe the install went through okay after that. But clearly it's not actually fixed anything.

The other thing is, the AMD site says to make sure the version number is 8.970.100.9001, which it already is.

It also says that the only support for those drivers are from Windows Update. Windows says there are no updates available.

wthit56, Dec 13, 2016
  6. lifetec Win User
    Your AMD gpucard Graphics Card: 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) is a so called legacy card by AMD.
    And you can not use the newer drivers.
    And you have already the latest avaliable drivers.

Reading your EDIT i suspect your GPUcard could/is dying on you.
    Or are you overclocking or is your system overheating.

You could test your gpucard.

Videotest Furmark
    To test your GPU you can use Furmark see this tutorial FurMark - GPU Stress Test - Windows 10 Tutorials

FurMark Setup:
    - If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
    - In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
    Click "Go" to start the test (Looks like it's "BURN-IN test" now)
    - Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
    NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
    If the temperature gets above 100ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
    - Click "Quit" to exit

What you are looking for:
    - excessive heat from the GPU (report back with anything over 90ºC)
    - problems with the video display (picture is distorted or jumbled, picture turns black, etc)
    - problems reported by the program (I haven't seen this, but "just in case")

lifetec, Dec 13, 2016
  7. wthit56 Win User
    I ran it for about 6 minutes. It got to 92 deg pretty quick, and continued to climb in temperature very slowly. At the 6 minutes mark it was at 97 deg and I decided to stop it. I didn't notice any artifacts, though the test itself is pretty trippy so that could make it hard to spot ;P

Pretty surprised it didn't BSOD again, to be honest.

Here's a screengrab in case there's anything on it that helps.
    Attachment 113582

Does this mean it's dying, if it continues to rise like that? Is it supposed to level off?

wthit56, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Video TDR Failure" Intermittent BSOD - Similar Threads - Video TDR Failure

2. BSOD Video Tdr Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Video Tdr Failure: I cannot open the game "Baldur's Gate 3" with Vulkan. After 67% in the loading screen, it stops for a few seconds and than get a blue screen with the error code VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and what failed being nvlddmkm.sys. I don't get the same problem if I open the game with...
  3. BSOD Video Tdr Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Video Tdr Failure: I cannot open the game "Baldur's Gate 3" with Vulkan. After 67% in the loading screen, it stops for a few seconds and than get a blue screen with the error code VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and what failed being nvlddmkm.sys. I don't get the same problem if I open the game with...
  4. BSOD Video Tdr Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD Video TDR Failure, nvlddmkm.sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Video TDR Failure, nvlddmkm.sys: Hello,I'm not sure what happened. I was playing Dying Light 2 on my laptop when I suddenly got hit with a BSOD. I didn't take a screenshot of it unfortunately, but I remember it being a Video TDR Failure, nvlddmkm.sys. Ever since then, my laptop is unable to detect my GTX...
  6. BSOD Video TDR Failure, nvlddmkm.sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Video TDR Failure, nvlddmkm.sys: Hello,I'm not sure what happened. I was playing Dying Light 2 on my laptop when I suddenly got hit with a BSOD. I didn't take a screenshot of it unfortunately, but I remember it being a Video TDR Failure, nvlddmkm.sys. Ever since then, my laptop is unable to detect my GTX...
  7. BSOD VIDEO TDR FAILURE amdkmdag.sys

BSOD VIDEO TDR FAILURE amdkmdag.sys: Blue screen happened 4 days ago. The stop code is VIDEO TDR FAILURE and it says that amdkmdag.sys failed . I look it up on the internet and tried to resolve the issue. Update the drivers etc. It did not happened again but I am still worried that it will happen again. I am...
  8. BSOD "video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys"

BSOD "video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys": I've been getting this blue screen for a while now and it's really annoying. Sometimes my screen would flash black and then come back And the BSOD happens often while gaming I have tried reinstalling windows twice Reinstalling Graphics Drivers No luck, anyone has any...
  9. BSOD Video TDR failure atikmpag.sys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD Video TDR failure atikmpag.sys: I'm one month into using my new build: Ryzen 3600, B450 motherboard, gigabyte 5600xt gaming OC. I get BSOD while gaming or browsing the internet. VTDR failure atikmpag.sys. I've tried everything one can find in terms of solutiosn on the internet: clean install of all...
  10. BSOD Video TDR Failure

BSOD Video TDR Failure: I'm having issues about BSOD Video TDR Failure atikmpag.sys I search for possible solution but didn't work for me I have AMD Ryzen 3 2200g with vega 8 graphics. What should I do?...