Windows 10: Video Thumbnails Don't Display Unless I Refresh Explorer Window

Discus and support Video Thumbnails Don't Display Unless I Refresh Explorer Window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I hope someone can help me! When I open a folder containing video files, sometimes it won't display the thumbnails unless I back out of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KiteRyu, Jan 14, 2018.

1. KiteRyu Win User

Video Thumbnails Don't Display Unless I Refresh Explorer Window

Hi, I hope someone can help me!

When I open a folder containing video files, sometimes it won't display the thumbnails unless I back out of the folder and enter it again, or if I refresh the folder.

Sometimes it will load some files, for example if a folder has 5 files, it sometimes loads 2 but the other 3 are left blank, I have to refresh the folder to make the other 3 generate their thumbnails.

I didn't have this issue prior to Fall Creators Update. I haven't installed any video codecs or players.

I've ran the DISM.exe command, sfc /scannow and reinstalled all apps using powershell. I've tried turning off and on the display icons instead of thumbnails option, I've tried clearing thumbnail cache.

It happens on all disks, not a specific one.

Please help! It's driving me crazy.

:)

KiteRyu, Jan 14, 2018
  2. Jaune Bel Win User

Some Video Thumbnails Don't Load Unless I Refresh Folder

Hi Kite,

This issue has something to do with the Fall Creators Update itself and we suggest that you stay with the Creators update in the meantime until this issue is fixed. We're currently working on improving and fixing every issue with Fall Creators Update and
    we really need your help to get this done.

We encourage you to submit this issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new one. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s
    causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our
    support article
    and
    YouTube video

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

• On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortana search, then launch the app.
    • Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    • Select the Problem button, share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    • Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring
      (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
    • Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    • Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    • Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you have submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    • Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    • Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like URL Manager<unique link>).

Regards.

Jaune Bel, Jan 14, 2018
  3. KiteRyu Win User
    Some Video Thumbnails Don't Load Unless I Refresh Folder

When I open a folder containing video files, such as mp4, often they won't load their thumbnail images unless I refresh the folder, or exit the folder and re-enter it. Sometimes, a few of the files will load their thumbnails, but I still have to refresh
    the folder to display the rest.

I haven't installed anything, this happens with a fresh install of Windows Fall Creators Update, build 10.0.16299.15 with all updates installed.

I installed an older version, Anniversary or Creators Update and I don't have any issues with those.

I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

I've ran Disk Cleanup, DISM, sfc /scannow, creating a new user, testing multiple disks, increasing thumbnail cache size and resetting Windows, installed fresh using no drivers, fresh using Microsoft drivers, fresh using newest motherboard drivers, but nothing
    has worked.

My CPU is i7 6700, Z170 Chipset.

Please help, I work with a lot of video content, this is hindering my work.

KiteRyu, Jan 14, 2018
  4. KiteRyu Win User

I restored an image I made of Windows before the Fall Creators Update, I have no thumbnail issues with it. But if I update to FCU or install FCU from scratch, I have thumbnail issues.

I tried contacting Microsoft, who told me to do all what I had already done that I listed above, DISM, etc.

KiteRyu, Jan 14, 2018
  5. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Jan 14, 2018
  6. KiteRyu Win User
    Thanks for the info. I gave it a try but it didn't work unfortunately. I don't get it, because video thumbnail generation is nearly instant prior to FCU, but slow and sometimes isn't loading them on FCU.

Another characteristic I noticed, is when it fails to load thumbnails, if I back out of the folder and enter any other folder, no matter how many, no video thumbnails will load until I refresh the original folder that I first entered.

KiteRyu, Jan 14, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Aaargh! Makes me crazy just to think about that scenario. Wish I had more ideas to suggest, but alas, I'm fresh out of them on this front. Do let us know what you find (and figure) out, though. Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 14, 2018
  8. KiteRyu Win User

Microsoft told me it's a problem with 1709 (Fall Creators Update) and to revert back to 1703 (Creators Update) as they are "working to fix all the issues with 1709", unfortunately I can't do that, I don't have an ISO and since I use Home, it'll update again. But the answer I got was vague, and I keep getting directed to Feedback Hub which I can't use due to work reasons.

I looked at this video on YouTube with a similar problem: How to fix COM Surrogate high CPU usage in Windows 10 - YouTube

Basically, the user had an issue with COM Surrogate using CPU, it turned out to be stuck loading a video thumbnail (WEBM).

So I downloaded a bunch of WEBM files and when I open the folder I notice that COM Surrogate uses over 50% CPU and the Explorer window will have a green loading progress bar in its address box, this lasts for about 8 seconds, but it doesn't load anything since Windows 10 doesn't support playing WEBM, so why is it trying to generate anything from them?

Just posting this info, in case someone can maybe point to something.

Also, I had the same issue on a Sandybridge (2600k) system, but clearing thumbnail cache seems to have solved it, but this isn't working on a newer Skylake system.

KiteRyu, Jan 17, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Good detective work! Keep us posted as things develop. FWIW, I'm on a Skylake system, too, and have had no such troubles myself.
    Thanks again,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 17, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    Suggest: Move the problem video files to an external drive then disconnect it and reboot to test.

Set folder options to not show thumbnails and use details view with preview pane enabled for all folders.

Turn off Automatic Folder Template Discovery.

For viewing multiple thumbnails use a third party image viewer instead of file explorer.

Callender, Jan 17, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    Suggest: Move the problem video files to an external drive then disconnect it and reboot to test.

Set folder options to not show thumbnails and use details view with preview pane enabled for all folders.

Video Thumbnails Don't Display Unless I Refresh Explorer Window [​IMG]
    Turn off Automatic Folder Template Discovery.

For viewing multiple thumbnails use a third party image viewer instead of file explorer.

Leave problem video files on external drive and try converting one or more of them to a different format then copy the converted files back to your HD to see if you get the same issue with the newly created files.

Callender, Jan 17, 2018
  12. KiteRyu Win User
    Thanks for the info, although those suggestions didn't work. As far as I can tell, I've managed to solve it though. *Party

I can't understand why it would work as a solution though, maybe someone can explain.

I deleted the thumbnail cache many times using Disk Cleanup trying to solve this, but I found a bat script written by Brink here:

Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

I ran the second script (prompt), after restart, this fixes it every time. I can image/install Windows 10 again and have the bug, but if I run this script it fixes it (as far as I can tell so far).

Does the script do anything that Disk Cleanup doesn't?

Thanks again.

KiteRyu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Video Thumbnails Don't Display Unless I Refresh Explorer Window - Similar Threads - Video Thumbnails Don't

2. Image shortcut thumbnails don't display?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image shortcut thumbnails don't display?: One of my hobbies is archiving thousands of pieces of artwork I find online. I love to organize and spend hours sorting images into different folders by theme and media. The way I have it set up is every file has a home in an "ALL" folder, and every subsequent folder for...
  3. Image shortcut thumbnails don't display?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image shortcut thumbnails don't display?: One of my hobbies is archiving thousands of pieces of artwork I find online. I love to organize and spend hours sorting images into different folders by theme and media. The way I have it set up is every file has a home in an "ALL" folder, and every subsequent folder for...
  4. Image shortcut thumbnails don't display?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.: So I've been having this problem for several months now..One day some of my video thumbnails weren't showing, so I deleted the thumbnail cache, and then they were all gone and never returned. It was like Windows lost the ability to create thumbnails for videos, and as I moved...
  6. Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.: So I've been having this problem for several months now..One day some of my video thumbnails weren't showing, so I deleted the thumbnail cache, and then they were all gone and never returned. It was like Windows lost the ability to create thumbnails for videos, and as I moved...
  7. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Displayed: I've tried every solution described in this article, but I can't get Windows 10 Edu. 1909 64 bit to display thumbnails in Windows Explorer. "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in Windows Explorer is deactivated. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/-Skybird-...
  8. Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer

Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer: Thumbnails on my new laptop running Win10 are not displaying in Explorer or editing software. They show briefly after a folder opens and when I use the slider, they show for a split second as the mouse scrolls down. Otherwise only an icon shows....
  9. video and photo thumbnail not displaying

video and photo thumbnail not displaying: I can open photos and videos but it doesn't display the image/video on the thumbnail which is frustrating as I want to send some photos to someone but have to click on each image and open it to view it, same applies to videos, help!...
  10. Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not displaying PDF thumbnails, but will display JPEGs: Hey Guys, this is an odd one. I have a new Win10 machine which completely refuses to display thumbnails for PDF file types. I have checked the view settings in explorer, and also the visual effects settings and it looks correct. I have tried using Adobe Reader DC...