Windows 10: VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

Discus and support VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For those who are thinking about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, here's how I did it. I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by badrobot, Feb 18, 2015.

1. badrobot Win User

VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

For those who are thinking about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, here's how I did it.

I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7 again.
    Warning: 16mins video from start to finish (you can fast forward at will). Total upgrade and rollback time is about an hour.
    (I also encountered a grub issue but easily fixed it at the beginning of the video).
    If you have questions, just reply to this post.

(BTW, sorry for the double subtitiles. *Redface )

Cheers!

[youtube]FP1N57whxxw[/youtube]

(Background music composed by me. Because Youtube blocks copyrighted music. *really )

:)

badrobot, Feb 18, 2015
  2. ajw1100 Win User

Windows 10: delaying already downloaded upgrade that is ready to install on PC restart.

Thank you Mohammed for your reply, so if Disc Cleanup did remove my W7 installation files it would still be re-installed on a roll back?

I have read that if the W7 installation files were deleted a roll back was not possible.

Does W10 take a 'W7 drive copy' and then replace it after removal of W10?

Also will a 'Virtual Machine partition', created within W7 on which I have some old programs be available in W10 or will I be able to install them in a new VM?

ajw1100, Feb 18, 2015
  3. rolled back to w7 from w10 but now unable to access Internet with any browser. dns unresolved?

Rolled back to w7 from w10 but now unable to access Internet with any browser.

Also, unable to restore w7 as all restore points have gone?

RobertScott-Edwards, Feb 18, 2015
  4. Kesto Win User

When I pressed play it said "An error occurred, please try again later". *Mad

Kesto, Feb 18, 2015
  5. Slugger Win User
    What hard drive enclosure are you using for your SSD? Have a link from Newegg?

Slugger, Feb 20, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    badrobot, Feb 20, 2015
  7. Dude Win User
    Nice vid, thanks for sharing.

8. VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

Pretty cool,
    For your music issue this helps allot,

ThrashZone, Feb 20, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    Thanks for the link. Will have a look.

badrobot, Feb 22, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Actually you don't need to fit an SSD enclosure at all -- the device is small, has no moving parts so just plonk it anywhere where it won't get too hot and connect via standard SATA connections. I've connected 4 like that - no enclosures needed -- I'm still using some spinners on the box but if you want to block out those ugly gaping holes where you removed the standard HDD's just fit the plastic bits back again. (assuming a tower or "semi tower" type of desktop).

BTW I'm one who HATES other people's music when watching Youtube or other videos --I know that people find it incredible that others have different tastes in music -- but it's not only that --in the days of high compresstion rates (mp3@128 for example) and hideous bud earphones people have become oblivious to how BAD highly compressed music sounds through decent high end and expensive amplification equipment and speakers !!!! (A general remark --not against you personally !!!).

Note also for SSD if you use MBR you can get rid of GRUB errors (I assumed you either had Linux or dual booted before) simply get into a command prompt and do FIXMBR.

An easier way also of copying OS to a new SSD is to use a USB2/3==>SATA adapter, and BEFORE opening up the computer connect the SSD to the USB port and then either clone the partition or create a backup image and restore it to the SSD via many of the imaging programs out there (Acronis, Macrium etc). Then fit your SSD and boot from it. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    @jimbo45 , the SSD enclosure is just for easy drive swapping without opening up the CPU case. I have screwless drive bays for both 2.5 and 3.5 hd bays. But that SSD drive on the video is on the 3.5 bay that's why I am using an adapter enclosure. But you are right, SSD can sit anywhere. You just have to open up your CPU case.

I do have USB dock and SATA duplicator. But those screwless drive trays are for easy disconnection of other hard drives when I am messing around with an OS on one drive just like what I did on the video.

You are right, the grub issue was probably from one of the experiments I did with Linux. But FIXMBR doesn't always work for me. I found the Macrium method works 100% of the time.

badrobot, Feb 22, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

For testing also I think you'll find an SSD with a SATA==>USB3 connector works as fast as Native SATA connection !! (especially on a laptop) so for testing with SSD's you don't even need to mess about with cases as I mentioned. Just set your BIOS to boot from the external USB device.

BTW if you only have ONE USB3 port a USB3 powered hub works fine too. !!!!

Most SSD'S are 2.5 inch anyway. If you really need the 3.5 inch enclosures then OK but all my SSD's are 2.5 inch versions.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

I also use a 3.5 spinner there from time to time. And that's the whole idea for the SSD enclosure. I just wanna make sure I am covered with any size of hard drives I need to use.

I have 5 USB 3.0 ports. I added a USB 3.0 controller card.

I normally just choose a boot drive on start up.

badrobot, Feb 22, 2015
  14. Kesto Win User
    You could've just downloaded Virtualbox/VMware to stop wasting time rolling back to Win7...

Kesto, Feb 28, 2015
  15. badrobot Win User
    Sorry if you didn't get what the video was about.

badrobot, Mar 2, 2015
Thema:

1. VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7) - Similar Threads - VIDEO Upgrading W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  4. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  5. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  6. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  7. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  8. Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?: Hi there, I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of W10, and isn't coming back. I'd like to upgrade to W10 on this machine to try out some other options that are out there....
  9. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...