Windows 10: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Discus and support VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Okay so over the past few weeks my computer has been randomly blue screening while playing games and on the initial Windows startup and most times I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ItsTheYoshi, Jan 14, 2017.

1. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Okay so over the past few weeks my computer has been randomly blue screening while playing games and on the initial Windows startup and most times I get the stop code VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE atikmpag.sys. Other times I would just get a black screen or just a system failure blue screen telling me that the system ran into a problem and will restart. BTW the computer still is working as I am using it right now to post this.

Here are a few things I have done to try and fix the issue: Uninstall the display drivers as well as the other AMD driver related programs and reinstalled all of them. I have also tried to find the problem file underneath System32/drivers like some other help sites tell you but it is not there.

Also I am using a rx 470 and an i5 6600k. If you need any other info just let me know. Thanks in advance.

New Info here:
    After playing GTA V for about 10 minutes the computer crashed to a BSOD with the stop code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. It happened the same way the other BSOD happened but just gave a different code. Also I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic just eliminate something and the test came back fine.

Added the zip folder now

:)

ItsTheYoshi, Jan 14, 2017

2. Can anything go wrong if I uninstall my display adapter in safe mode?

In your opinion, should this fix the video_tdr_failure (atikmpag.sys) problem?

Orlin Aurum, Jan 14, 2017
  3. Windows 10 error

My previous post re Windows 10 Nvidia error - should be VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

Basildon76, Jan 14, 2017
  4. lifetec Win User

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Most dumpfiles are VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
    Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

Are you overclocking your GPU, what is the temperature of your system and of the GPUcard.
    Also you are running your system with 2 different Memory modules with different CAS latency (14 and 16)!

As a test run your system only with the 2 8gb modules and see what happens.

Here some more info on VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)

lifetec, Jan 16, 2017
  5. To answer a few questions(All temps in Celsius). The GPU is at base speeds/out of the box speeds, the only thing I did was up the temp limit from 60 to 80 and changed the fan speed to be a little higher after doing this the max temp after a 5 hour unigine heaven test was 73. As for the CPU it is a 4Ghz and after a 8 hour AIDA64 stress test the temps only got up to about 48 on the hottest core.

Also I will try with out the 4GB stick and see if that fixes the problem.

ItsTheYoshi, Jan 16, 2017
  6. Okay so I removed the 4GB stick of RAM from my computer and then I ran unigine heaven for about an hour and I noticed something when it was running. At the top right of the window you have your set clock speed and vram speed. When I ran it with the 4GB in the clock was saying it was at 2000Mhz, which it was not, and with the new run it said it was at 1250Mhz, which is the out of the box clock speed. Not sure if this really has any meaning but I thought I would give it as some info.

Also after playing some games for a few hours the computer did not experience any blue screens or game crashes. So I am going to continue to use the system and see if it will Blue screen again.

ItsTheYoshi, Jan 17, 2017
  7. So removing the RAM did not fix the issue and neither did the uninstall and reinstall of the graphics drivers.

I also just installed the new AMD drivers that say they have a fix for TDR issues so I am hoping this fixes it.

Any other ideas?

8. lifetec Win User

Could you post a new DM log collector zip with the new dumpfiles/bsod.

lifetec, Jan 17, 2017
  9. Here they are. Just to clarify the last crash was a black screen not a blue screen so not sure what happened there but it happened the same way as last times.

10. lifetec Win User
    The dumpfiles are again VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116).
    And i can not find/see any other clues etc. in the dumps.
    All your other driver are up to date. (except the elecom mouse drivers from 2010), but i doubt that that is the cause of this problem.

What you could do is test your GPUcard.

Videotest Furmark
    To test your GPU you can use Furmark see this tutorial FurMark - GPU Stress Test

FurMark Setup:
    - If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
    - In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
    Click "Go" to start the test (Looks like it's "BURN-IN test" now)
    - Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
    NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
    If the temperature gets above 100ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
    - Click "Quit" to exit

What you are looking for:
    - excessive heat from the GPU (report back with anything over 90ºC)
    - problems with the video display (picture is distorted or jumbled, picture turns black, etc)
    - problems reported by the program (I haven't seen this, but "just in case")

lifetec, Jan 17, 2017
  11. Okay I will give that test a try.

12. After a one hour test the GPU got to a max of 75ºC and I did not notice any video issues while it was running.

13. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Okay after a few days of using the PC since I installed AMDs latest drivers it seemed to have not done anything to resolve the start up blacksreen but I have not had any bluescreens since, instead I have been having driver crashes. Not sure why this is still happening but if you have any ideas on fixing it that would be great.

ItsTheYoshi, Jan 20, 2017
  14. New stop code video scheduler internal error. Here is the new logs.

ItsTheYoshi, Jan 20, 2017
  15. My computer now back up and running just fine. The fix was given to me from the people at the AMD support forums but here is the answer they gave me. The main problem was the BIOS was quite out of date.

1.Update BIOS
    2.Update chipset, audio, and ME drivers
    3.Execute this file(file was a BIOS update for RX470)
    Reinstall GPU driver after that
    4.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 17.1.1 driver Windows 10

ItsTheYoshi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - Similar Threads - VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

2. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116: SPECS:Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3.60 GHzGraphics Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Ventus GP OC 6GMotherboard: ATX MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxRAM: Crucial Ballistix Gaming 16GB 1x16GB DDR4-3200MHz CL16 I have been facing this for about a while now, random crashes...
  3. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116: SPECS:Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3.60 GHzGraphics Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Ventus GP OC 6GMotherboard: ATX MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxRAM: Crucial Ballistix Gaming 16GB 1x16GB DDR4-3200MHz CL16 I have been facing this for about a while now, random crashes...
  4. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Frequent BSOD about nvlddmk.sys with the stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

Frequent BSOD about nvlddmk.sys with the stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE: Lately, when I just log on to my laptop Windows 10, I often receive this BSOD error after my laptop struggle or hang a little when my apps started to load in. Also, I just check my Event Viewer and the latest error says "The GameInput Service service terminated unexpectedly....
  6. Frequent BSOD about nvlddmk.sys with the stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSOD about nvlddmk.sys with the stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE: Lately, when I just log on to my laptop Windows 10, I often receive this BSOD error after my laptop struggle or hang a little when my apps started to load in. Also, I just check my Event Viewer and the latest error says "The GameInput Service service terminated unexpectedly....
  7. Frequent BSOD about nvlddmk.sys with the stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

8. Blue Screen Video_TDR_Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen Video_TDR_Failure: HelloI Have a problem with my laptop like i said when i play games or even use my laptop normally a blue screen happens with the Error code: Video_TDR_Failurethis problem has been happening to me since a while ago but i didnt really care, but no it happens to me like every 20...
  9. Blue Screen Video_TDR_Failure

Blue Screen Video_TDR_Failure: HelloI Have a problem with my laptop like i said when i play games or even use my laptop normally a blue screen happens with the Error code: Video_TDR_Failurethis problem has been happening to me since a while ago but i didnt really care, but no it happens to me like every 20...
  10. Blue Screen Video_TDR_Failure