Windows 10: View All Power Plan Settings in Text File in Windows

Discus and support View All Power Plan Settings in Text File in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: View All Power Plan Settings in Text File in Windows How to View All Power Plan Settings in a Text File in Windows A power plan is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 6, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

View All Power Plan Settings in Text File in Windows

How to: View All Power Plan Settings in Text File in Windows

How to View All Power Plan Settings in a Text File in Windows

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two.

Windows 10 provides the following default plans:
    • Balanced - Offers full performance when you need it and saves power when you don't. This is the best power plan for most people.
    • Power saver - Saves power by reducing PC performance and screen brightness. If you're using a laptop, this plan can help you get the most from a single battery charge.
    • High performance - Maximizes screen brightness and might increase PC performance. This plan uses a lot more energy, so your laptop battery won't last as long between charges.
    • Ultimate Performance - Only available starting with Windows 10 build 17083. Provides ultimate performance on higher end PCs.
    • Custom power plan - These are only available if either your PC manufacturer (OEM) provided additional power plans, and/or you create a custom power plan. These are available to all users.
    Normally, you could view all current settings of a power plan in Power Options. If you like, you could also output these settings to a text file. This can make it easier to share or show the power plan settings.

If you like, you can choose to include all hidden settings of a power plan, but these settings are hidden by default in Power Options since they usually do not apply to your computer.

This tutorial will show you how to output all current settings of a specified power plan to a text file to review in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: All settings of a selected power plan in Power Options

View All Power Plan Settings in Text File in Windows [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open a command prompt.

2. Do step 3 (current) or step 4 (specific) below for which power plan you want to output its settings to a text file.

3. Output All Settings of Current Active Power Plan to Text File
    A) Copy and paste the command below you want to use into the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow powercfg /Q >%UserProfile%\Desktop\PowerPlanSettings.txt

OR

(Includes hidden settings)
    *Arrow powercfg /QH >%UserProfile%\Desktop\PowerPlanSettings.txt

4. Output All Settings of a Specific Power Plan to Text File
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, press Enter, and make note of the Power Scheme GUID of the power plan settings you want to output to a text file. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow powercfg /L

*tip The power scheme that has an asterisk * to the right of it is the current active power plan scheme.

B) Copy and paste the command below you want to use into the command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow powercfg /Q GUID >%UserProfile%\Desktop\PowerPlanSettings.txt

OR

(Includes hidden settings)
    *Arrow powercfg /QH GUID >%UserProfile%\Desktop\PowerPlanSettings.txt

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID (ex: "381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e") of the power plan (ex: "Balanced") you want.

For example: powercfg /Q 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e >%UserProfile%\Desktop\PowerPlanSettings.txt

5. You will now have a PowerPlanSettings.txt file on your desktop.

6. When you open the PowerPlanSettings.txt file, you will see a subgroup GUID for each group (ex: "Hard disk") of settings, and a Power Setting GUID for each setting (ex: "Turn off hard disk after") in a group. (see screenshot below)
    Each power setting will show you its minimum possible setting and maximum possible setting AND/OR possible settings available.

Each power setting will show you its Current AC Power Setting (plugged in) and Current DC Power Setting (on battery). These values will be in hexadecimal (hex). You can use a Hexadecimal to Decimal Converter to see the setting's decimal value.

*note For example, 0x000004b0 (hex) for how many seconds to Turn off hard disk after below would equal to 1200 (decimal) seconds (20 minutes).

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 6, 2018
  2. John Fer Win User

Power plan?

Upon checking, it seems that there's nothing wrong with your system. It is usual that you have to double-click your mouse before your monitor wakes up.

For the meantime, we suggest changing the power plan by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type in Power Settings.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Additional power settings.
    • Select High performance.

After changing the power plan, we suggest that you monitor the changes made and check if that will work for you.

Get back to us if you need further help.

John Fer, Oct 27, 2019
  3. POWER SETTINGS

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

Let us know few thing to analyze the issue.

• What is the make and model of the pc?

• Are you able to wake the computer back from sleep?
    This issue might occur due to some corruption in the power settings.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Let’s run Power troubleshooter.

The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

• Select settings in the drop down menu below search and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on Troubleshooting and select the view all option on the left pane.

• Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the prompts.
    If issue persist, I suggest you to try method 2.

Method 2: Create new Power Plan.

Please refer to “Can I create a power plan?” section of the link below:

Power plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Note: Steps for Windows 8 or 8.1 applies to
    Windows 10.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

JuzarAli1709, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Geethu B Win User

Power plans automatically changing

Hi Jonah,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with power plans.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect Power settings. Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

Let’s run the power troubleshooter and check if that helps.

a. Press Windows key on the keyboard.

b. In the search box, type Troubleshooting and press
    Enter.

c. Click on ‘System and Security’ and click on ‘Power’ click on next to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    restore the power plans to default and check if it helps.

Step 1: Reset and restore the power plans to default:

• Right-click on
      Start button
      and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
      and hit Enter.

• Exit command prompt.
    Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed.

Step 2:

Once the power plan is reset to default, you may create a
    new power plan
    and customize the same according to your needs.

Refer to the link:

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 27, 2019
  5. power plan

Hi Charles,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Try to run the following commands and check if it helps.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:
    WSReset.exe.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how
    long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting

• Select Troubleshooting and click on
      System and Security.

• Click on Power and follow the
      onscreen steps.
    Delete the current power plan and create it again. Refer to the following link to change the power plan to suit your needs.

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq Refer to the section:
    How to create and delete a power plan

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Karla Alm Win User
    How do I delete a power plan?

Hi Harold,

For step by step instructions on how to delete a power plan, follow these:

• Click Start menu.
    • Type Power Options.
    • Click Show additional plans.
    • Choose an additional plan then click Change plan settings.
    • Select Cancel. (Customized power plan will be move to the additional plans.)
    • Click Change plan settings beside your customized power plan.
    • You will see the option Delete this plan in the Edit Plan Settings.
    • Select OK to confirm the deletion.

Should you need further help, let us know.

Thanks.

Karla Alm, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. View All Power Plan Settings in Text File in Windows - Similar Threads - View Power Plan

2. Advanced Power Plan setting not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advanced Power Plan setting not working: Hi,Since my last Windows 11 update to version 22H2, my PC does NOT automatically go to sleep. It sleep on if I use the CTRL + F1 keys of my keyboard.When I try to use the Advanced Power Plan Setting to High Performane, the Apply Button does not highlight and my Power Setting...
  3. Advanced Power Plan setting not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced Power Plan setting not working: Hi,Since my last Windows 11 update to version 22H2, my PC does NOT automatically go to sleep. It sleep on if I use the CTRL + F1 keys of my keyboard.When I try to use the Advanced Power Plan Setting to High Performane, the Apply Button does not highlight and my Power Setting...
  4. How to view the Active Power Plan in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to view the Active Power Plan in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to check which power plan is currently active on your Windows […] This article How to view the Active Power Plan in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Power plan settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power plan settings: Hello, i have a problem with adding high performance plan to my laptop Asus ZenBook 2020. As i don't see high or ultimate performance power plans nowhere in Power option panel, even under the arrow. I though i'd add one. First i went to the lower power option panel and...
  6. Windows 10 power plan settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 power plan settings: Why the fuck has the latest Windows 10 update decided to now select 'balanced' as the power options every single boot despite what i have it set to??? Even funnier - your own troubleshooter for power, views having a 'high performance' plan selected as an issue! WTF....
  7. [Bug?] Power plan settings mismatch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Bug?] Power plan settings mismatch: [ATTACH] Hi, I have notices today that my laptop screen shuts of after 20 minutes, so I checked my settings... looked good on first sight. https://preview.redd.it/4rfx8m35k4k41.png?width=1769&format=png&auto=webp&s=4105b60df09479620de87b0b4ad646cf1dd5790e The right side...
  8. Export all Windows settings to a text file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Export all Windows settings to a text file?: Is there any way to export all Windows settings to a text file? Is it possible to extract all windows settings from 2 machines and is there a way to compare the differences? AFAIK there isn't but I am hoping that the brilliant minds on this forum might have a solution. I...
  9. Problem with power plans not showing at all

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with power plans not showing at all: Hi. Had a bad computer day and did a windows 10 reset. After the reset and some updates, when I go to control panel/system and security/power options, I see this: [img] It does not show the balanced/recommended plan I'm on and should normally show. If I click on...
  10. Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or...