Windows 10: View Poll Results: Does 'hey Cortana' work for you?

Discus and support View Poll Results: Does 'hey Cortana' work for you? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have turned on the slider to activate Cortana to respond to my " Hey, Cortana" but unless I click on the microphone icon she doesn't hear me? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by supashaka, Feb 13, 2016.

1. supashaka Win User

View Poll Results: Does 'hey Cortana' work for you?

I have turned on the slider to activate Cortana to respond to my " Hey, Cortana" but unless I click on the microphone icon she doesn't hear me?

I don't think it's a mic problem since t works fine with Cortana otherwise. I've tried other people's suggestions without any luck.

:)

supashaka, Feb 13, 2016

2. "Hey Cortana" does not work

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

It's possible that your microphone settings are incorrect. Let's try the following steps and check if it resolves the issue.

Step 1: Check if you have enabled the "Hey Cortana" feature

• Click on the Windows Search bar or Press Windows key.

• Click on the Hamburger sign at the top left of the window and click on
      Settings.

• Enable Let Cortana respond when you say 'Hey Cortana' option.

• Now check if it works. (Tip: After you say "Hey Cortana", follow up with a question/service for Cortana to respond).
    Step 2:

If issue persists, follow the suggestion provided by Jason D on January 29,
    2015 from below link and check if it helps:

Having problems with “Hey Cortana” hearing me

Also, see: Cortana: Expectations, Usage, Tips, Work Arounds
    (Created by Barb Bowman).

Cortana: Expectations, Usage, Tips, Work Arounds.

Hope it helps.

Do update us with the status we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    "Hey Cortana"does not work

Thank you for performing the steps we've provided.

Since the SFC scan tool were not able to find errors, we suggest that you run the
    DISM tool next to perform a more thorough scan of your system and automatically fix system corruption.

Refer to this wiki article created by ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP) for the steps to perform:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Feb 13, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Welcome to the forum.
    Open Settings, in box "find a setting" at top type Micro, click on Microphone Setup then Speech, Setup for speech recognition, see attachment.

dencal, Feb 13, 2016
  5. supashaka Win User
    Thanks for the reply, I already did that. Cortana works fine except for the specific command

supashaka, Feb 13, 2016
  6. I don't say Hi Cortana once Mike is activated I just let her know what I want.
    So how I do it is
    Click on Cortana on task bar
    Then Click Mike App
    I tell her what I want and she finds it ok for me

hTconeM9user, Feb 13, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    What "slider" ?

Mine works exactly you described.......................
    click at the mic icon first then say whatever you want to tell her.

Adding.................. that applies to both of my 2 laptops, Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.
    There is nothing wrong with that.

davidhk, Feb 13, 2016
  8. supashaka Win User

Now I'm wondering if the voice activation phrase seems to work for anyone at all! People seem to be confusing it with me asking how to get Cortana to work at all.

" Hey, Cortana" is a phrase which should 'wake up' Cortana so you don't have to click on her mic button. There is a slider to turn this feature on in cortana's settings.

I know this is a known problem since early builds so I thought either Microsoft would have sorted it out or people would have solved it by now? Hope someone can help out!

supashaka, Feb 14, 2016
  9. dencal Win User
    There is no such setting in Cortana....as all replies have stated....click on Microphone to activate.

dencal, Feb 14, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    There is this:

View Poll Results: Does 'hey Cortana' work for you? [​IMG]

It used to work for me (respond to "Hey Cortana") but I just tested it and it doesn't any more - I also need to click on Microphone. Not sure when it stopped working though as I don't normally use it.

11. Thank you for confirming
    As that is the only way I have ever done it on laptop
    I have found it is easier just to press mike app and tell her what you want
    Have never set mine up to respond to Hey Cortana.

hTconeM9user, Feb 14, 2016
  12. dencal Win User
    Yes I had seen it, and yes I had already confirmed it made no difference, you still need to click on mic.
    M$ state its only turned off to save battery life on laptops

dencal, Feb 14, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

Not true - I have just fixed it to work as it should.

I got Cortana to learn my voice by clicking on "Learn my voice" and reading out the 6 phrases. I rebooted as Cortana couldn't access the internet, and it now responds to "Hey Cortana" fine. I do not have to use keyboard or mouse at all.

I guess it was the responding "To anyone" that was the problem for me - it didn't understand my accent.

It should not be necessary to click on the microphone button if this setting is enabled.

14. dencal Win User
    No such luck on my part....will not go beyond first reply on recording of six phrases, yet works perfectly when clicking on mic.
    Also cannot relocate button from anyone to me.

dencal, Feb 14, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    Perhaps that is the key to it? It responds to "Hey Cortana" for me if set like this:

View Poll Results: Does 'hey Cortana' work for you? [​IMG]

but if I switch it back to "To anyone" then it doesn't respond (but after clicking the mike it still understands).

Just speculation on my part though...

Thema:

1. View Poll Results: Does 'hey Cortana' work for you? - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?: This is assuming you have installed a Windows 10 VM running on a Windows 10 Hyper-V host. It further assumes that you have enabled Enhanced Sessions and can connect to the Enhanced Session (vmconnect.exe). (this means that you have enabled Guest Services in the settings for...
  3. View Poll Results: Percentage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: Percentage: I trust it fully never failed me. I even used it to recover an installed program I uninstalled as it was quicker just to run the image restore then having to reconfigure the program. 115847
  4. View Poll Results: Do You Like Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    View Poll Results: Do You Like Edge?: Issue/SUBJ: Regarding MS Edge Features Customization/Hack. Good Day All! I hope you're all enjoying a pleasant one. If Possible, how can I make "Open In New Tab" the Default when I click on an Icon on the Favorites Bar, and, if possible, other Links in General? All...
  5. View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?: What antivirus are you using? is it the Free or Paid version? (this option is not on the poll so if you can, reply with the answer *Biggrin) 38893
  6. View Poll Results: Has this happened to you?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    View Poll Results: Has this happened to you?: I am trying to log in to my desktop pc which has windows 10. I get to the screen with the clock time and date and a small pc picture on bottom right corner. From this screen i usually hit enter or click on something to bring up the PIN login screen. When I try this my...
  7. View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    View Poll Results: Was this helpful?: For anyone looking here, this is just a guide I thought up and I think this is pretty useful. If you are deciding between 2 or more CPUs, use this equation: A= Number of cores B= Clock speed of each core C= The cache of the CPU in MB, also make it as, for example, 6MB...
  8. View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to Windows 9

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to Windows 9: Thought it would be interesting to see how many know whether they will upgrading to the final version of Windows 9 when it's released Then perhaps have a similar post at the end of the year after the beta has been used to see if people have changed there mind *looked...
  9. View Poll Results: What will you do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What will you do?: Now that 10240 is officially official I decided to do the in-place reset to clean out any carried over glitches. I downloaded drivers, ninite, and office 365 installer and am now waiting waiting for the reset to finish. 9241
  10. View Poll Results: What are you going to do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What are you going to do?: Are you going to get windows 10 release or keep your current os or something else. 3602