Windows 10: View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this?

Discus and support View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can not find an emoticon to share my frustration right now. I recently called avast! Customer Support, and after the call, my computer has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FletchTech90, Oct 23, 2014.

1. View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this?

I can not find an emoticon to share my frustration right now.
    I recently called avast! Customer Support, and after the call, my computer has been rendered useless. The support guy was very controlling, and the support software was faulty! After we had hung up the call, about 10 seconds later, the chat log said "[Name redacted] issued command: Shutdown (Force)"
    After I restarted, it acted as usual. The boot screen, fine. The Windows logon screen... fine! I entered my password, and as I hit enter, the screen swiped away... nothing. Black screen and mouse. I've restarted multiple times (holding down power button, as the *Start key did nothing (no Start Menu) and the *Start+C Charms Bar wasn't there. I've left the computer running as long as five hours, nothing. I tried CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open Task Manager... it couldn't open. Now I can't access the installation file and am pretty much done for. Ugh. I'm not asking for help, just posting to vent a little. I needed a new computer anyways, but I was going to just use it until the end...

:)

FletchTech90, Oct 23, 2014

2. Have you ever had some one report you for misconduct and have you get the blame for it and not them

This may up set most people because people have called me all sorts of names and profanity because of a stupid action they made and you end up geting the blame for their mistake by them haveing to report you because they started the fight.

MasonWhite, Oct 23, 2014
  3. Have you ever had some one report you for misconduct and have you get the blame for it and not them

Hi Mason,

To better help you with your concern, we highly recommend getting in touch with the

Enforcement Team
    and explain your side regarding this matter by submitting a case review.

Regards.

Wilfred Mac, Oct 23, 2014
  4. View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this?

"They" have called me and started to tell me my machine was faulty and they are from Microsoft and I just either laugh and hang up or call them scammers depending on my mood. I have called Microsoft on activation issues with OS several times.
    One has to ask why are you calling Avast whose tech support is as far as I am aware a 3rd party company in India who are know to scam users.

Indianatone, Oct 24, 2014
  5. Visruth M Kumar, Oct 24, 2014
  6. Do you have a paid version of Avast :/

ThrashZone, Oct 24, 2014
  7. dencal Win User
    Try this...Restart computer while holding Shift...this should bring up a Choose Option Menu....Troubleshoot will give more options....Hope this helps.

dencal, Oct 24, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this?

Hi there

You don't need ANY 3rd party AV software on Windows 8/8.1 / W10 -- W10's security is even better than W8.1.

For home users there's absolutely NO requirement to install any of these products.

BTW I HATE these off shored call centres usually placed in cities like Bangalore in India -- If ANY service I use has these I switch to another one - I've already changed Banks, Credit Card providers and Internet service.

When I'm in the UK though it's almost impossible --especially for mobile phone service and ISP's.

However for an ISP a good UK based company is Kingston Communications (Karoo) based in E.Yorkshire (near Hull) - although that dialect isn't the easiest to understand either !!!. They aren't subject to a load of Court imposed site bans either so you can access some of those "In the wild" places without having to use any "get arounds" or VPN's.

I'm stuck though with Mobile phone service when I'm in the UK as they all use Indian or Filipino Call centres - but everything else I've switched.

If more people did this and TOLD the provider WHY they are switching - a lot of these service would be brought back "On Shore".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 24, 2014
  9. I'm guessing the OP didn't know it wasn't AVAST they contacted, when he or she posted this thread. I had a friend of mine fall for the very same hoax. She googled AVAST free and didn't realize the top link wasn't the real AVAST site. They coned her into installing the program from their site to give them access so they could "fix" it. They fixed it alright! She basically lost the use of her PC until she paid them money to release it. Eventually she did figure out what was up and shut the PC down. Then asked me what to do. She did a system restore to before this happened and got her PC back. I told her to call her bank too, to block any charges from this company. They did and refunded what they already charged. She also changed all her passwords etc on the PC and for online sites like her bank. lesson learned for her. She's running Microsoft Security Essentials now.

alphanumeric, Oct 24, 2014
  10. jadinolf Win User
    jadinolf, Oct 25, 2014
  11. Hi

I know this is boring, and dorky, but this is the reason to push for people to make a System Image File!!!

It only takes a half hour or so, less for my Windows 10 partition because the System Drive is so small.

I use a free and very easy to use program called EaseUS TODO backup.
    It literally gets making a backup image a matter of 3 or 4 clicks.

It creates it's own recovery DVD, CD and it's just as easy to recovery your system.

And like I said it FREE.

I made 8 backups for Windows 10 so far, and I've restored my computer 4 times to fix thing I messed up.

If something like this happens you can have your whole system back up and running in minutes.
    It has never failed to work for me.

Because it overwrites the whole disk it completely gets rid of viruses and hacks like the one the OP had.

Best free backup software for PC/Laptop - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

You can use whatever software you want, but everyone should have a System Image File!

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Oct 25, 2014
  12. jadinolf Win User
    I also use it and have only had to restore drives three times but what a savings in work and aggravation.

Have it on 4 computers.

I have the paid version -- don't ask me why.*Huh

jadinolf, Oct 25, 2014
  13. View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this?

Hi

One more thing.

The only Security software I use are Malwarebytes Pro and CCleaner.
    Both of which I have used for many years.

Malwarebytes catches a lot of PUPs (Possibly Unwanted Software) and will remove viruses if you get one.
    CCleaner I use every day to clean out the unwanted junk that Windows leaves behind.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this?

1. View Poll Results: Have you ever had a tech support issue like this? - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?: This is assuming you have installed a Windows 10 VM running on a Windows 10 Hyper-V host. It further assumes that you have enabled Enhanced Sessions and can connect to the Enhanced Session (vmconnect.exe). (this means that you have enabled Guest Services in the settings for...
  3. View Poll Results: Of these options, qhich do you like best?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    View Poll Results: Of these options, qhich do you like best?: God HELP ME-Windows update #1909 Windows 10 Home 64 (Version 1809) Has failed after 14 MONTHS to either install correctly or whatever but I don't know what to do anymore. I've also followed many of those YouTube "Method 1...3..4..5.6.." videos and none work... I'm using a...
  4. have you ever herd of global tech support?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    have you ever herd of global tech support?: have you ever herd of global tech support and are they trust worthy? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/have-you-ever-herd-of-global-tech-support/f018ca80-fd8e-46a8-bca5-760376c263d4"
  5. View Poll Results: Do You Like Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    View Poll Results: Do You Like Edge?: Issue/SUBJ: Regarding MS Edge Features Customization/Hack. Good Day All! I hope you're all enjoying a pleasant one. If Possible, how can I make "Open In New Tab" the Default when I click on an Icon on the Favorites Bar, and, if possible, other Links in General? All...
  6. View Poll Results: Has this happened to you?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    View Poll Results: Has this happened to you?: I am trying to log in to my desktop pc which has windows 10. I get to the screen with the clock time and date and a small pc picture on bottom right corner. From this screen i usually hit enter or click on something to bring up the PIN login screen. When I try this my...
  7. View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    View Poll Results: Was this helpful?: For anyone looking here, this is just a guide I thought up and I think this is pretty useful. If you are deciding between 2 or more CPUs, use this equation: A= Number of cores B= Clock speed of each core C= The cache of the CPU in MB, also make it as, for example, 6MB...
  8. View Poll Results: What will you do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What will you do?: Now that 10240 is officially official I decided to do the in-place reset to clean out any carried over glitches. I downloaded drivers, ninite, and office 365 installer and am now waiting waiting for the reset to finish. 9241
  9. View Poll Results: What are you going to do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What are you going to do?: Are you going to get windows 10 release or keep your current os or something else. 3602
  10. View Poll Results: What browser do you like best?

in Windows 10 News
    View Poll Results: What browser do you like best?: In our tests of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE and Opera, the worst web browser for Windows 10 was easy to spot: Internet Explorer 11. But the best choice? That depends. On earlier versions of Windows, the best browser you can run today is clearly Google Chrome. But, what about...