Windows 10: View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media

Discus and support View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ..... Too many things not working in Enterprise Editions! Thanks Edwin, That's interesting, I know some members are running Enterprise without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slartybart, Jan 24, 2015.

1. View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media

Thanks Edwin,

That's interesting, I know some members are running Enterprise without issue.
    That's the kicker isn't it though, every machine is different!

I didn't think of asking the sign in (MS Account vs. Local Account) question. It wouldn't have fit on the poll anyway *Wink

For the record, I will be installing with a Local Account and signing itno apps individually for those that absolutely require it (OneDrive, Mail). Other apps that are just nuisance sign-ins (Mahjong, Solitaire) will have the sign in canceled and used locally.

I hope that at some point, I can just tell those nuisance apps to forget about ever signing in, so I don't have to press cancel every time I want to play the game or use an app locally.

I don't recall if I sent feedback on that - probably. Since this is another release I'll have to see how it operates.

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 24, 2015

2. Sorry about the confusion - I understand tough. It was confusing to write it *Wink
    Don't sweat the poll - you posted the information and that's clear enough.

Thanks,

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 24, 2015
  3. Fobok Win User
    Insider preview, using the Windows Update method.

Fobok, Jan 24, 2015
  4. View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media

Insider Pro: Physical machine | ISO - boot from VHD

cyberrufus, Jan 24, 2015
  5. Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015
  6. It's own ssd and clean installing new builds,
    Updates don't always keep preferences.

ThrashZone, Jan 25, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    Testing is for physical machines.

Checking out is for virtual machines.

Mine runs on it's own SSD by selecting boot drive at startup. Dual-booting is a waste of time. Boot priority and boot manager is always a mess with this tech preview.

*Clean installed on every build.

badrobot, Jan 25, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media

No updates, instead clean installs. Did not find suitable options to select in poll. I have physical clean install Build 9926 on two laptops (Enterprise & Pro) and a desktop (Pro), plus for various slightly different testing scenarios two Pros and one Enterprise on Hyper-V virtual machines, all clean installs.

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) Testing on HP envy touch laptop as a VM on CENTOS rel 7 Host using VMware workstation rel 11 and rel 10 (easy to switch back and forwards between releases : sudo /usr/bin/VMware-installer -u VMware-workstation. Then install other version takes about 2 mins. Note though uninstall the HIGHEST version of VMware tools first on the guest. Don't also set the hardware compatibility to WKS 11 if you want to go back a release.

Issues here --UNITY mode fails on W10. (not a showstopper). VMware issues message no 3d support from host (WKS 11) which is untrue - dxdiag shows 3D enabled plus hardware. glxgears also shows proper 3d-rendering. Touch facilities - on the whole working on the VM but haven't done exhaustive test on those. All applications worked for me both via CLEAN install VM and Upgrade from W8.1==>W10==>W10 build 9879==>build 9926.

2) Desktop computer (AMD QUAD CPU) real version - no issues other than stupid start menu - returned menu to old version (build 9879 re-sizeable with search bar that works). Upgrade and fresh installs - no problems either way. (take backups so restoring images saves you loads of work in fiddling around with different configurations).

HYPER-V - too fiddly with usb devices and things like webcams. Also dynamic and network sharing of HDD's not good. RDP for console control of the vm seems slowish compared with VMware even when the VMware VM is accessed from a remote computer. All on WIRED LAN.

VMWARE WKS11 and WKS 10 with W10 Host -- same issues as with CENTOS Host.

W8.1 Host - same VMware issues as W10 Host and CENTOS Host.

Apart from the wretched start menu fiasco and the imbecellic way of still having settings all over the place - some in control panel, some in PC settings, some from Notifcations area ????!!! everything works so no real problems.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 25, 2015
  10. Suitable poll choices for you might be:
    laptop & desktop Pro
    Insider Pro: Physical machine | ISO - single boot

laptop Enterprise
    TN Enterprise: Physical machine | ISO - single boot

two Pros on Hyper-V
    Insider Pro: Virtual machine | ISO - Hyper-V

one Enterprise on Hyper-V
    TN Enterprise: Virtual machine | ISO - Hyper-V
    Maybe the ability to select multiple poll choices is throwing some people off, or their way of thinking is different.
    I made the questions:
    Edition, Install environment, Distribution media - boot option

If people think in their terms :
    Install environment, Distribution media, Edition
    or don't equivocate the descriptions of attribute to value, then it is understandably difficult to answer the poll
    in other words: if people can't understand the question, then they can't answer it.

Anyway, the poll is secondary to members describing how they installed and are testing Win10.
    Thanks for detailing your test 'lab' *Wink

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    I meant that as every option available ends with word Update, they do not represent my way of using / testing Windows 10. I am only using cleanly installed Windows 10, not a single update / upgrade.

12. Fenestrix Win User
    I used the ISO 32bit image burned on a DVD to clean install on a formatted HDD in an old Shuttle XPC I still had lying around.

Fenestrix, Jan 25, 2015
  13. View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media

I see what you're saying.
    If you read post# 1, I planned more poll answers - unfortunately the poll limitation required an adjustment.

I copied one section of text and neglected to remove the word update from the ISO choices. Thanks for bringing that to my attention and please accept my apologies for not correctly setting up the poll. If members just want to post how they're installing / testing, that would be great.

I don't know if I can change the poll questions. I'll try because it should be corrected.

+edit
    I can edit the post, but not the poll.
    If anyone wants so vote in the poll with a clean install
    - the ISO choices would be the best choice, even though they say update.
    I missed an edit when I built the poll, but everything is technically an update.
    If you want, you can also state whether it was a clean install or an upgrade install in a post.

That seems like a lot of work though *Wink-edit

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media

1. View Poll Results: How are you testing Win10? Vers: Machine | media - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?: This is assuming you have installed a Windows 10 VM running on a Windows 10 Hyper-V host. It further assumes that you have enabled Enhanced Sessions and can connect to the Enhanced Session (vmconnect.exe). (this means that you have enabled Guest Services in the settings for...
  3. View Poll Results: Percentage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: Percentage: I trust it fully never failed me. I even used it to recover an installed program I uninstalled as it was quicker just to run the image restore then having to reconfigure the program. 115847
  4. View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?: What antivirus are you using? is it the Free or Paid version? (this option is not on the poll so if you can, reply with the answer *Biggrin) 38893
  5. View Poll Results: Has this happened to you?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    View Poll Results: Has this happened to you?: I am trying to log in to my desktop pc which has windows 10. I get to the screen with the clock time and date and a small pc picture on bottom right corner. From this screen i usually hit enter or click on something to bring up the PIN login screen. When I try this my...
  6. View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    View Poll Results: Was this helpful?: For anyone looking here, this is just a guide I thought up and I think this is pretty useful. If you are deciding between 2 or more CPUs, use this equation: A= Number of cores B= Clock speed of each core C= The cache of the CPU in MB, also make it as, for example, 6MB...
  7. View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to Windows 9

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to Windows 9: Thought it would be interesting to see how many know whether they will upgrading to the final version of Windows 9 when it's released Then perhaps have a similar post at the end of the year after the beta has been used to see if people have changed there mind *looked...
  8. View Poll Results: What will you do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What will you do?: Now that 10240 is officially official I decided to do the in-place reset to clean out any carried over glitches. I downloaded drivers, ninite, and office 365 installer and am now waiting waiting for the reset to finish. 9241
  9. View Poll Results: What are you going to do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What are you going to do?: Are you going to get windows 10 release or keep your current os or something else. 3602
  10. View Poll Results: Getting a copy of Win10??

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Getting a copy of Win10??: Now that we have had a chance to actually test out and play with Win10TP it might be a good time to see how many of use are going to actually get a copy of Win10 or not. In the early days we had a survey and that was before we had time to really test out the TP so now I...