Windows 10: View Poll Results: What antivirus/antimalware program would you recommend?

Discus and support View Poll Results: What antivirus/antimalware program would you recommend? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; How many of you solely use Windows Defender? How many use a third-party app? I've installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2017, but I'm trying to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ericnixmd, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ericnixmd Win User

View Poll Results: What antivirus/antimalware program would you recommend?

How many of you solely use Windows Defender? How many use a third-party app?

I've installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2017, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to renew. The Creators Update of Windows 10 seems to have a better antivirus/antimalware, but I don't think it's completely on-part with Kaspersky, Norton, BitDefender, etc.

I don't surf dubious websites or download pirated software, but I have a need for high security. I use my laptop for Dragon to dictate patient records and incorporate them into Epic.

Would you guys think Windows Defender is enough, or would you stay with Kaspersky? I haven't noticed a performance hit.

:)

ericnixmd, Jul 16, 2017
  2. Le Boule Win User

Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004

That definition is about 24 hrs old.

WD should automatically update about every 24 hrs
    if the program needs new definitions. I’ve seen MS antimalware products (and others for that matter) sometimes go a couple of days before new definitions are required.

Why don't you see if WD will automatically update the next time you restart the computer?

Or see
    https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

But if you are not comfortable with WD, you can always install a third party program of your choice (which will disable WD). There are some antimalware programs that can be set to update every hour if that's what you want them to do.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win10

Choosing an Anti-Virus
    Program

Is Windows Defender The Best For Windows
    10?
    Good article but ignore the ads.

AV Poll 2015 - Security | DSLReports Forums

Regards…

Le Boule, Jul 16, 2017
  3. Starting Windows 10 Defender

Would there, perhaps, be a third party antivirus or antimalware program somewhere on your device?

7ff2a89d-4617-4f57-9a1a-ca8dc82d7e88, Jul 16, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

I stopped considering other solutions when Windows defender improved significantly earlier this year.

See AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute for their latest comparison. If you click on the sideways arrow on the right of the Windows defender entry you will see that where it falls down [relatively] is in higher than average loading of application installations and starts [that's the Performance score]. Its level of protection is as good as almost all of them [as you'll see in the Protection score].

Denis

5. ericnixmd Win User
    Thanks for the link Try3, but it looks like Windows Defender has a bigger performance hit than Kaspersky.

ericnixmd, Jul 16, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Eric,

Windows defender has slower downloads, application installations & application starts. I have experimented with Norton, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, McAfee over the last year or so. I could not, in practice, see any performance differences when using the computer.

As for their relative Protection, Windows defender has only recently entered the top of the range whereas Kaspersky has routinely been achieving 99.8%+ for ages.

Denis

7. cereberus Win User
    If you need high security, you should be using encryption. No AV package protects against a dodgy link (many fakes that look genuine) or a new unknown threat.

Also, you should have a robust backup strategy in case pc does get attacked.

cereberus, Jul 16, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

I have Kaspersky antivirus provided free by my bank. I still have concerns about the security of their software due to Kaspersky being Russian. I guess whether you are more worried by vulnerabilities provide by spying by the NSA or FSB. I might just use Defender having seen the good scores in the link posted above.

Steve C, Jul 16, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Agree with that one!
    If using Windows Defender, I would recommend adding the paid version of Malwarebytes Antimalware.

simrick, Jul 18, 2017
  10. ericnixmd Win User
    Thanks to all for the replies. I have encryption of my SSD enabled through Dell's Data Protection Program. The computer uses a password for initial boot and then fingerprint for access to locked screen/screen saver etc. The laptop came with a FIPS-compliant fingerprint scanner and smartcard reader.

I use OpenVPN for an encryption to my network at home anytime I'm on public wifi. I have a pfSense server that I use solely for Snort and as an OpenVPN server.

I definitely try to keep everything as secure as possible, but I realize nothing is 100%. (I even use a lock to keep my laptop from being stolen at work when people are walking the hallways of the ER -- it won't prevent someone from cutting the cable, but it helps prevent the passerby from quickly snatching it).

It seems like most people prefer Windows Defender over other antivirus programs. I may not renew my Kaspersky and just use it. The websites I visit with my work laptop are almost always work-related (UpToDate, ePocrates, PerfectServe, Georgia Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, etc.).

There have been a couple of compromises of security in physician offices lately and I definitely don't want to be in the news as one of them.

ericnixmd, Jul 18, 2017
  11. dencal Win User
    The above AV TEST results will be irrelevant when the Creator Autumn/Fall update is released.
    Improvements to Defender will include WDAG Application Guard plus Exploit Protection.

dencal, Jul 18, 2017
  12. Have 1 System right now using Windows Defender with Block at First Sight Enabled and Pua protection guess I'm as safe as when I used to use Avast, Cannot afford Paid version of Malwarebytes though, but I guess if I remember to do weekly scans with the Free Malwarebytes I should be ok.

Rest of the Household Systems are running Avast latest 2017 version

AMDMan2016, Jul 18, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

If you don't need to use them disabling USB ports is a good idea. USB keys are terrible at spreading malware.

Blocking USB Devices and Removable Media - Active Directory GPO - Spiceworks

If you need them occasionally you can sign off your normal account and onto administrator account and enable them again temporarily.

Thema:

1. View Poll Results: What antivirus/antimalware program would you recommend? - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?: This is assuming you have installed a Windows 10 VM running on a Windows 10 Hyper-V host. It further assumes that you have enabled Enhanced Sessions and can connect to the Enhanced Session (vmconnect.exe). (this means that you have enabled Guest Services in the settings for...
  3. View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using: Hi folks I'm interested in what members are using as their virtualisation software -- doesn't matter what host. Basically : Hyper-V, Virtual Box, Vmware Workstation/player, Esxi, KVM, other e,g parallels, Citrix,XEN etc). Reasons for using would be fine too and what people...
  4. View Poll Results: What Antivirus Are you Using And Why?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    View Poll Results: What Antivirus Are you Using And Why?: Hello everyone, Many people are looking for a suitable antivirus software and I thought this thread might help them a bit. Note: Of course there is nothing called "THE BEST ANTIVIRUS" and it really varies based on kind of usage and many other factors. And this topic is just...
  5. View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?

View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?: What antivirus are you using? is it the Free or Paid version? (this option is not on the poll so if you can, reply with the answer *Biggrin) 38893
  6. View Poll Results: Which free antivirus will you prefer?

View Poll Results: Which free antivirus will you prefer?: What will be the right choice of a free antivirus with the new OS? The inbuilt Defender? Or long time trusted Avast? Or Avira? Or anything else? Have you guys tested any free antivirus yet? Let us know ... share your experience with us. 1988
  7. View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs: Just reading another thread and I just was wondering.. how many of you put your programs/software on a driver other than the traditional C?? Like the D or some other?? For me I always let the instillation default to the C for ease of instillation and my SSD is the C driver...
  8. View Poll Results: Which option would you choose?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    View Poll Results: Which option would you choose?: Now that my free 200 GB OneDrive offer is ending I have to decide between base, 50GB, Office 365 Home or alternative sync storage. Any guidance would be appreciated. I have desktop+laptop Windows computers. Same @live.com e-mail for all. Other local users for networking....
  9. View Poll Results: What will you do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What will you do?: Now that 10240 is officially official I decided to do the in-place reset to clean out any carried over glitches. I downloaded drivers, ninite, and office 365 installer and am now waiting waiting for the reset to finish. 9241
  10. View Poll Results: What are you going to do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What are you going to do?: Are you going to get windows 10 release or keep your current os or something else. 3602