Windows 10: View Poll Results: Which web browser(s) do you use ?

Discus and support View Poll Results: Which web browser(s) do you use ? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; IE is just fine. All this browser stuff is just a matter of choice IMO. From a webmaster/designer point of view IE should be scrapped, it's just not... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Fahadking07, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Tony K Win User

View Poll Results: Which web browser(s) do you use ?

From a webmaster/designer point of view IE should be scrapped, it's just not compliant with the way all the other browsers do things and causes all sorts of problems.

BTW for all our sites the best browser to use is firefox. OK, John. From a webmaster/designer point of view perhaps. You would know more about that than anyone.

I have had no problems using IE in your sites even before you recently changed 10F over to the new forum software and did your tweaking. Even at that the only problem I had prior was with the upload file manager would not show “from computer” every now and then, but would always work in advanced. I find the new file manager much better and works great. I do miss the insert from Word function, though, but understand why you would pull it for safety reasons.

Bottom line is I dislike all browsers really. They are absolutely not keyboard user friendly whatsoever, especially in the body of the page. They force me to use too much of the rat mouse. Headers and favorites I can pretty much get around in, but the body, forget it.

Tony K, Nov 1, 2014
  2. groze Win User

Sometimes I wonder if it is the hardware that cause issue with the browser. In a lot of browser this is checked by default "use hardware acceleration when available" I know I had issues on my windows xp when this was checked.

groze, Nov 1, 2014
  3. Kesto Win User
    I use Chrome, I use IE sometimes but Chrome and Firefox are the best.

Kesto, Nov 1, 2014
  4. View Poll Results: Which web browser(s) do you use ?

When I was trying the W8 betas there was an issue with FF that was caused by that setting.

lehnerus2000, Nov 2, 2014
  5. Edwin New Member
    Some info on Hardware Acceleration in Firefox:

Use hardware acceleration when available: If this option is ticked, Firefox will use Hardware Acceleration wherever possible to improve the speed with which pages are displayed. This means Firefox will utilize your GPU (graphics card), if you have one, instead of your CPU, to speed up page rendering. Windows Vista/7/8 benefits more fully from hardware acceleration than Windows XP, as under Vista/7/8 both Direct2D and Direct3D acceleration are enabled. Note that altering this setting requires a full restart of Firefox before the change is implemented.

To check the status of hardware acceleration in Firefox at any time, type About:Support into the Address Bar and press Enter. Then check the 'gfx.direct2d.disabled' field, and the 'DirectWrite Enabled' field - these will say True if hardware acceleration is enabled, and False if it is not. The 'GPU Accelerated Windows' field will show '1/1 Direct3D 10' or '1/1 Direct3D 9' depending on the level of Direct3D support when hardware acceleration is enabled, or '0/1 Basic' if Direct3D acceleration is disabled. To test and compare your actual hardware acceleration performance after making any changes, first exit and restart Firefox, then run this test to see how many Frames Per Second (FPS) you get with and without hardware acceleration.

An unfortunate side-effect of enabling hardware acceleration in Firefox is that the text rendering method changes to one which some users may find displeasing. Fonts may appear blurry, overly thin, oddly spaced or inconsistently rendered across various sites. The easiest way to fix this issue is to disable hardware acceleration and restart Firefox - text rendering will now revert back to its original and familiar look. A slightly better method of fixing this issue is to keep the hardware acceleration option ticked, but set the gfx.direct2d.disabled preference to True - see the Advanced Tweaking section for details. This disables Direct2D acceleration while keeping Direct3D acceleration enabled. Another alternative is to keep the hardware acceleration option ticked, and install the Anti-Aliasing Tuner add-on, which allows customization of font appearance, while keeping the full advantages of hardware acceleration. Open the Options for this add-on (under Firefox menu button>Add-ons>Extensions), and try this suggested configuration: set Anti-Aliasing mode to ClearType and Rendering Mode to 'Natural Symmetric' for both text sizes, then tick all the 'ClearType Level' and 'Enhanced Contrast' boxes and set them to 100%. This will not be ideal, but you can experiment further to see if you can further customize text appearance to suit your taste.

Another aspect to consider regarding hardware acceleration is that disabling it may actually provide the best overall performance and stability in Firefox. With hardware acceleration enabled, the GPU will continually cycle between 2D and 3D clock speeds, and there may be periodic stuttering/pauses on certain pages, such as those with Flash video or heavy scripting. This is neither good for the GPU, nor good for smoothness. Enabling hardware acceleration can also result in Firefox crashes. Therefore I recommend experimenting with disabling hardware acceleration to see if it improves your browsing experience.

Edwin, Nov 2, 2014
  6. Thx for the info *Thumbs

Fahadking07, Nov 2, 2014
  7. Firefox and Waterfox are my main browsers.

I only use IE when absolutely necessary because the grayscale font rendering API it uses is just dreadful.

The Doctor, Dec 19, 2014
  8. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Dec 19, 2014
  9. groze Win User
    Jeff,
    There is a firefox 34.0.5 it is working pretty good now, I use that browser occasionally. It might disable some plugins though. Also, if you use services that use silverlight--do not install flash block or leave it disabled when using those services.

groze, Dec 19, 2014
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Jeff,
    There is a firefox 34.0.5 it is working pretty good now, I use that browser occasionally. It might disable some plugins though. Also, if you use services that use silverlight--do not install flash block or leave it disabled when using those services. Thanks for the information. I found that Silverlight/Flash work great in the ESR.

BunnyJ, Dec 19, 2014
  11. Fahadking07, Dec 20, 2014
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks, I will give a try *Biggrin What I like about it is there are no updates that can cause issues. It's just nice and stable.

BunnyJ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. View Poll Results: Which web browser(s) do you use ? - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Which offline backup service do you prefer?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: Which offline backup service do you prefer?: I'm considering switching from Carbonite to another service (iDrive, Backblaze, etc.). What do you guys recommend? Carbonite seems to be resource intensive during active backups. 109696
  3. View Poll Results: Are you using AVG Web Tuneup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    View Poll Results: Are you using AVG Web Tuneup?: This Antivirus Plugin Makes You LESS Secure AVG has been a trusted name in anti-malware and online security software for decades; over 200 million people have installed the free AVG Antivirus software. But in the last weeks of 2015, it was revealed that one of AVG’s...
  4. View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?

View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?: What antivirus are you using? is it the Free or Paid version? (this option is not on the poll so if you can, reply with the answer *Biggrin) 38893
  5. View Poll Results: Do you use Edge as your primary browser??

in Browsers and Email
    View Poll Results: Do you use Edge as your primary browser??: SO how many of you are trying to use Edge as your primary browser?? In the beginning I didn't and I just used it for this site but with the AU I started to use it as my primary and I only use FF for Sirius/XM online streaming so I can easily use a sleep timer bat file to shut...
  6. View Poll Results: Which free antivirus will you prefer?

View Poll Results: Which free antivirus will you prefer?: What will be the right choice of a free antivirus with the new OS? The inbuilt Defender? Or long time trusted Avast? Or Avira? Or anything else? Have you guys tested any free antivirus yet? Let us know ... share your experience with us. 1988
  7. View Poll Results: Which file manager do you use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    View Poll Results: Which file manager do you use?: Following Brink's software update posts. *SmileLatest Multi Commander Version Released *Smile 55920
  8. View Poll Results: Which option would you choose?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    View Poll Results: Which option would you choose?: Now that my free 200 GB OneDrive offer is ending I have to decide between base, 50GB, Office 365 Home or alternative sync storage. Any guidance would be appreciated. I have desktop+laptop Windows computers. Same @live.com e-mail for all. Other local users for networking....
  9. View Poll Results: What will you do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What will you do?: Now that 10240 is officially official I decided to do the in-place reset to clean out any carried over glitches. I downloaded drivers, ninite, and office 365 installer and am now waiting waiting for the reset to finish. 9241
  10. View Poll Results: What browser do you like best?

in Windows 10 News
    View Poll Results: What browser do you like best?: In our tests of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE and Opera, the worst web browser for Windows 10 was easy to spot: Internet Explorer 11. But the best choice? That depends. On earlier versions of Windows, the best browser you can run today is clearly Google Chrome. But, what about...