Windows 10: View settings not saved for special folders (desktop, download..)

Discus and support View settings not saved for special folders (desktop, download..) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I've made the switch to Windows 10 for about a week or so now. So far almost everything is working just as I wanted, except some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by naeco, Aug 23, 2015.

1. naeco Win User

View settings not saved for special folders (desktop, download..)

Hi everyone,

I've made the switch to Windows 10 for about a week or so now. So far almost everything is working just as I wanted, except some sorting annoyances with File Explorer.

For unknown reasons, file sort settings for special folders like Desktop, Documents, Download are not saved. I always sort my files/folders by date (Descending: New above, old below) so that I can access to files that I use the most or recent downloaded file. The sort setting seem to work with all folders except the mentioned above. Moreover, the sorting for these folders seem to be random (not 100% sure). For instance, my Desktop would sort files and folders by Name, while my Download folder sorts file by Date (but ascending!).

In all.. those special folders are a mess! I have to move forward and backward non-stop between them as I work but their settings just keep resetting!
    I should probably move my working folders to some other location and forget about it. But doing that mean I have to make changes for all my PCs so I'd like to explore a fix before making those changes.

Any helps, tweaks to fix this will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

:)

naeco, Aug 23, 2015
  2. The DaYv Win User

Customize default view in the "Save as" Window

Hey Thanks for taking a look at this.

but this isn't exactly what I was looking for.

I know how to make the window look exactly the way I want it to look, and I can even make that specfic view the default view for all folders in regular file explorer.

The problem I am having is in getting that default view to apply to the "Save as" window. The window you get in any Microsoft application when yo click "Save as". The default view that I've set up for File Explorer doesn't seem to apply when looking at the
    same folders through the "Save as" window.

So If I just navigate to the folders normally, they are sorted by "Date Modified", but If I look at the same folders through the "Save as" window the files are not sorted as "Date Modified" until I select the column and set them as so. There are hundreds
    of folders though, and I'd rather not set them individually. So I used the windows function that allow me to set a selected view to all folders and it worked, UNLESS I'm looking at the folders in the "Save as" Window.

It seems that the "save as" Window operates independently of the default settings of "File Explorer". SO I'm looking for a way to customize the view in the "Save as" window specially.

Is that clearer?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

The DaYv, Aug 23, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    File Explorer save current session feature

There is no way to set the initial folder that Windows Explorer will open to!

Simplest way to implement this is to right click the folder you want to open and select Send to - Desktop Create Shortcut and a shortcut to that folder will be placed on your desktop, the view to last selected for that folder (Details, list . . . etc.) will
    also be saved.

To set the default view for all folders in Windows Explorer, go to any folder, on the View ribbon, set the desired view, then click Options on the far right of the View ribbon and on the resultant dialog click the 'Apply to Folders' button. Click 'Apply'and
    'OK'

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Aug 23, 2015
  4. View settings not saved for special folders (desktop, download..)

I have the same problem.

bluescorpion33, Sep 17, 2015
Thema:

View settings not saved for special folders (desktop, download..)

1. View settings not saved for special folders (desktop, download..) - Similar Threads - View settings saved

2. Ungrouping downloads folder doesn't save view even when applying to folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ungrouping downloads folder doesn't save view even when applying to folders: I have tried everything I've found online... which is only one option. But the Downloads folder in explorer constantly groups things by date. I set the group by option to none and then I go to the view options and use the "Apply to folder" options just like every forum topic...
  3. Ungrouping downloads folder doesn't save view even when applying to folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ungrouping downloads folder doesn't save view even when applying to folders: I have tried everything I've found online... which is only one option. But the Downloads folder in explorer constantly groups things by date. I set the group by option to none and then I go to the view options and use the "Apply to folder" options just like every forum topic...
  4. Folders View Settings Are Not Saving at First Attempt

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders View Settings Are Not Saving at First Attempt: Recently I've noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to unhide protected operating system files. I unticked the corresponding check box and I received the warning, but when I pressed the OK button, nothing happened. When I opened the view settings again the check box was...
  5. Folders View Settings Are Not Saving at First Attempt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders View Settings Are Not Saving at First Attempt: Recently I've noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to unhide protected operating system files. I unticked the corresponding check box and I received the warning, but when I pressed the OK button, nothing happened. When I opened the view settings again the check box was...
  6. Folders View Settings Are Not Saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders View Settings Are Not Saving: Recently I've noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to unhide protected operating system files. I unticked the corresponding check box and I received the warning, but when I pressed the OK button, nothing happened. When I opened the view settings again the check box was...
  7. Setting folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting folder view: Hi. I have folders on my E drive which I like to see in List view. Some of those folders contain sub-folders which I also like to see in List view. When it comes to the actual files, I'd like them shown as Large Icons. Is such a setup possible? Thank you. (version 1903) 159581
  8. Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings: How do I view settings when I don't remember my Windows password or PIN? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-saved-passwords-in-settings/2c45f2e2-5e3e-49a2-a7a9-55cfef82af4f
  9. Folder view not saving

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder view not saving: I made a screenrecord for your understanding. Sendvid - Instant video upload 18513
  10. Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving: Hi everyone, I seem to be having 2 issues with Windows 10 Pro x64 that occur simultaneously. The 2 issues are that my desktop icon positions are not being remembered (always shifting to the left after reboot - auto align is off) and my folder view settings are not being...