Windows 10: View/source in Win 10 + Notepad + Favourites

Discus and support View/source in Win 10 + Notepad + Favourites in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Couple of questions here, not too tech savvy so bear with me. 1) How can I view the source code on a web page in Win 10? In Win 7 it was clear and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by XBcs87, Jul 18, 2016.

1. XBcs87 Win User

View/source in Win 10 + Notepad + Favourites

Couple of questions here, not too tech savvy so bear with me.

1) How can I view the source code on a web page in Win 10? In Win 7 it was clear and self explanatory but now there's nothing to show how anywhere that I can find. (It's to see if certain links are dofollow or nofollow).

I tried a search using term how to view source code in Windows 10 and the top result indicated a page with that info but when I clicked on it the page had absolutely nothing about viewing source code in Win 10! Could someone please give me step by step instructions as to how this is done in Win 10 or supply a link to a page that actually does have info on it.

2) Notepad. Again with Win 7 it was clear and simple. The rectangular box would come up and you simply typed in your text and saved it. Now in Win 10 when I click on Notepad I get a big square box which writes the text in one big long line which extends past the right side of the box. How do I get it back the way it was?

3) Can't find how to add favourites in Win 10. Did it once using trial and error but can't remember the path now. Shouldn't have to use "trial and error" anyway, it should be clearly indicated but it isn't, too much trouble for them I suppose. Could someone tell me how please.

All advice/info on these three questions gratefully appreciated.

:)

XBcs87, Jul 18, 2016

2. View Source

It is not the same OS or anything else.

Not sure what you find objectionable about a separate window with the debugger / source code being a tab in that new Window vs a window with nothing but the source code... can and will you explain in more detail what is made more difficult for you because
    of this layout?

Open web page you want to view source code for.

Press CTRL + U to bring up the debugger (Developer tools).

Press CTRL + P to pop it out to a new window.

From that point forward, CTRL + U should just pop up the new window.

If it REALLY bugs you, change the source code viewer to NOTEPAD...

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/view-source-dev-tools-separate-window-ie-11-windows-10/

(Tip near the bottom - could actually set it to Notepad, Wordpad, Notepad++, etc.)

Shenan Stanley, Jul 18, 2016
  3. marceamac Win User
    View Source in Notepad using IE 11 or Edge

I'm a non-professional. Built a website many years ago, still edit some pages using notepad and html code.

I miss IE 10, when you could View Source using Notepad. HATE the developer tool, do not understand it, does not let me edit simple web page code.

At least in IE 11, can still pull up a file page, then click File > Edit with Notepad.

But that File>Edit with Notepad is completely missing from Edge.

Also missing File>Open on Edge

At this point, need 3 browsers to do tasks I used to be able to do with one.

I want View Source using Notepad as an option again!

Is there anything I can do to get View Source using Notepad again, in either browser?

Is there a way to pull up a web page from my hard drive on Edge? And then edit code in Notepad?

marceamac, Jul 18, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

hello, I think note pad always worked like that ,but I could be wrong ,,I you type in a sentence ,just hit enter and it will take you to the next line underneath ,and also go to format in the top bar of notepad and turn on word wrap

assuming you are using Edge browser .if so just right click on the page you have opened and source will be in the list .win10 still has IE browser if you want to use it ,they just hide it , its now in Windows Accessories folder in Start /all apps .,just right click the icon ,choose more ,and pin it to taskbar if you wish

favorites can be added by click on the yellow star at the end of the address bar .. you will also see an option to add favorites bar ,to the top of the browser ..
    also you can click the 3 dots next to the x top right of the browser to open setting and more ,in settings you can set home pages if you like.

hope this is of some help ,kind of doing this at work so I'm hurrying the response ,,

caperjack, Jul 18, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    You can toggle word wrap on and off, and change the font and its size from Format menu in Notepad:

View/source in Win 10 + Notepad + Favourites [​IMG]

6. XBcs87 Win User
    Ok thanks folks will try that out when time available tomorrow.

XBcs87, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. View/source in Win 10 + Notepad + Favourites - Similar Threads - View source Notepad

2. How to view "Favourites" in the Win 10 Photo App?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to view "Favourites" in the Win 10 Photo App?: I can add a picture to "Favourites" by pressing the heart icon at the top. However if I open the photos app I cannot see any folder/place named "Favourites" to browse these pictures... submitted by /u/lee1126 [link] [comments]...
  3. Win 10 notepad no longer works?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 notepad no longer works?: Hi folks, I have the latest iteration of Windows 10 64bit. Around a week ago my notepad just stopped working, I click on it and it opens and the first thing I notice is the cursor doesn't move I click into it and the top right corner of the notepad over the buttons goes...
  4. Change type of view in Notepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change type of view in Notepad: How do I change the type from cascading to something I can actually use ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-type-of-view-in-notepad/2d2d0b45-2088-49a2-ad31-cd35b023ec84
  5. classic view for win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    classic view for win 10: Dear Sir, your advice is highly appreciated. my new laptop using Win10, i need to use the classic view as win7. can you advice if this possible? if it is possiable please advice how to implement . thanks and regards mohamed...
  6. view source of html file

in Windows 10 Support
    view source of html file: A few yeas ago I took an online course on html4. When I would make a file that would take me to a website I was able to view source to look at how it was made by viewing the various tags etc. I don't remember how I was able to do the view source, but I remember that I opened...
  7. favourites

in Browsers and Email
    favourites: How do I set up favourites `in internet ex 11 on W 10.Please help. 32581
  8. Favourites

in Browsers and Email
    Favourites: Hi, A few questions about Windows 10 favourites 1) Is there any way to ensure that the Favourites List is displayed permanently ie without having to select and pin? 2) Is there any way to have a selected favourite automatically open in a new tab without having to right...
  9. View Poll Results: Choose your favourite music player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    View Poll Results: Choose your favourite music player: Clementine for me, mainly cause it always works when WMP tends to freeze. WMP would be a close second though. 1394
  10. Win 10 Notepad and Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Notepad and Settings: Hi not very tech savvy so bear with me. Recently had new Win 10 re-installed on existing laptop and now can't find any reference to Notepad which I need for text docs. Have checked the tutorial (on here) and file explorer and can't find anything about it or any indication of...