Windows 10: Viewing pdf files on Windows 10

Discus and support Viewing pdf files on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a mid-range Toshiba laptop approx 3 years old, originally running on Windows 8 but upgraded to 10 a few months back. Not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James Garrod, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Viewing pdf files on Windows 10

Hi there,

I have a mid-range Toshiba laptop approx 3 years old, originally running on Windows 8 but upgraded to 10 a few months back. Not necessarily coincidental with that upgrade, but recently I have experienced problems with viewing pdf files. Whether these are email attachments, or saved on Dropbox / Desktop, I'm unable to view either all or some of the document. The document will appear to open in the new W10 style, but large parts of the text are not visible, just a blank or half-blank page.

I'd welcome any advice or suggestions on this matter...

James

:)

James Garrod, Apr 5, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 5, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 5, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Viewing pdf files on Windows 10

Hi there

I thought Edge or even IE11 had a built in PDF viewer -- otherwise you could always download that old stalwart (Free) Adobe reader.
    You might need to change the screen resolution or decrease text size -- It's quite frustrating at times - I have a nice huge ultra HD (4K) monitor and some applications make me drop resolution back to 1920 X 1080 otherwise the text is just too tiny to be read -- some of these apps are BADLY WRITTEN using fixed pixel / screen sizes which rather goes against the whole point of WINDOWS where you should be able to scroll and re-size. !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2016
  5. zztemp Win User
    Make sure that your default program for PDF files is set to acrobat reader.
    If you type in "default" in the start menu, you should see the option you need to set Acrobat Reader as the default program.
    If you need more details on how to do this , let us know.

zztemp, Apr 5, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Edge works for me.. if I try it. But I use Sumatra by default (fast to open, easy).

Is this relevant at all? Only thing I can think of that affects the appearance..
    Microsoft Edge Reading View - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Beyond that I guess you may be into the repair attempt route.. (which may or may not fix this!)

Elevated command prompt
    chkdsk C: /F
    sfc /scannow

etc

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Viewing pdf files on Windows 10

1. Viewing pdf files on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Viewing pdf files

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Not Showing pdf Preview. I use Edge to view pdf

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Not Showing pdf Preview. I use Edge to view pdf: I have a laptop that runs Windows 10 and the file explorer doesn't show previews of pdfs. All the help that I can get is in reference to having Adobe as the software to view pdfs whereas I use Edge. Can someone show me how to change this please?...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Not Showing pdf Preview. I use Edge to view pdf

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer Not Showing pdf Preview. I use Edge to view pdf: I have a laptop that runs Windows 10 and the file explorer doesn't show previews of pdfs. All the help that I can get is in reference to having Adobe as the software to view pdfs whereas I use Edge. Can someone show me how to change this please?...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Not Showing pdf Preview. I use Edge to view pdf

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. View pdf metadata in windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    View pdf metadata in windows file explorer: Hello!I am trying to get the file explorer to display author metadata for pdfs. Using exiftool.exe I can see that the author information is in the pdf metadata but when viewing file properties->details there is no author information. I can search for the author in file...
  6. View pdf metadata in windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    View pdf metadata in windows file explorer: Hello!I am trying to get the file explorer to display author metadata for pdfs. Using exiftool.exe I can see that the author information is in the pdf metadata but when viewing file properties->details there is no author information. I can search for the author in file...
  7. View pdf metadata in windows file explorer

8. PDF thumbnail view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF thumbnail view: Is there a thumbnail view for PDFs? PDF docs in folders are displayed as icons. It would be very helpful if I could view them as images. I have Acrobat DC, and the whole creative suite....
  9. PDF thumbnail view

PDF thumbnail view: Is there a thumbnail view for PDFs? PDF docs in folders are displayed as icons. It would be very helpful if I could view them as images. I have Acrobat DC, and the whole creative suite....
  10. Viewing REALLY HEAVY pdf files

in Windows 10 Support
    Viewing REALLY HEAVY pdf files: Is it somehow possible Viewing REALLY HEAVY pdf files smoothly? i found it almost impossible managing thurgh very heavy pdf files. almost impossible. my computer is quite strong [img] 169990