Windows 10: viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network

Discus and support viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My question is: How do I view the "Properties" of the other drives in my networked computers. Before I used Windows 10, ( all 4 computers were on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nitram, Jul 23, 2018.

1. nitram Win User

viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network

My question is: How do I view the "Properties" of the other drives in my networked computers.

Before I used Windows 10, ( all 4 computers were on windows 7) all I had to do was point to the shared drive on another networked computer and right click on it and select "Properties" and all the information about the drive was displayed on the screen - drive size, space utilized and space available, etc. I cannot do this any more and although I have tried many things to access this information, nothing works and I have to physically go to the basement location of the particular machine and check the drive(s) on that machine locally to get the information.

Does anyone know how I can get the "properties" of my shared drives on networked machines like I used to get on Windows 7?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

:)

nitram, Jul 23, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Welcome to TenForums @nitram

Map a drive letter to the network drive and check the properties of the mapped drive. Actually, this works the same way in Windows 7 too (I've just checked on another machine).

viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network [​IMG]

3. nitram Win User

My question is: How do I view the "Properties" of the other drives in my networked computers.

Before I used Windows 10, ( all 4 computers were on windows 7) all I had to do was point to the shared drive on another networked computer and right click on it and select "Properties" and all the information about the drive was displayed on the screen - drive size, space utilized and space available, etc. I cannot do this any more and although I have tried many things to access this information, nothing works and I have to physically go to the basement location of the particular machine and check the drive(s) on that machine locally to get the information.

Does anyone know how I can get the "properties" of my shared drives on networked machines like I used to get on Windows 7?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

nitram, Oct 14, 2018
  4. jgt1942 Win User

Network view from diff sys,should they be the same & drive share issue

Currently I have two issues I'm attempting to resolve
    1. Why cannot my three laptops access the shared drives on my desktop?
    2. When I open Windows Explorer and click on Network on my four PC should the view on each system be very similar (mine are not)?
    I've searched for solutions, tried numerous things (too many to remember) and so far I don't have a solution. I'm open for suggestions. Following is a rather lengthy explanation, hopefully I've included enough details but if not please ask.
    I have four PCs in my network all have Win10 x64, Pro
    1. S4 is my desktop with a clean install of Win10 x64 Pro but I still have quite a way to go with this effort. It also has 11 drives that I share to the other systems (more on this issue later). Following is the disk management view

2. Lenovo - this is my wife's laptop, it only has one HD with several small partitions created by various windows upgrades, one 150GB partition for the OS, one 500GB partition for data and one partition for the original window install and the Lenovo recover (this partition I should delete in that I will never be going back to the factory image). Following is the disk management view.

Win10 x64 Pro is the OS and it was upgraded from Win8.1 which was upgraded from Win8 (I think this was a clean install). I'm not sure what OS was originally installed on this laptop
    3. W700 - this is my laptop, it is a OLD Lenovo ThinkPad W700, I don't recall what OS was originally installed but I went through the upgrade path Win8 (I think this was a clean install), Win8.1 and now Win10 x64 Pro. It has a SSD, a HD, two locally attached USB drives, 1 -eSATA attached drive and currently one network drive (this is from my Desktop, AKA S4 or at least this is what Disk Management shows). Following is the disk management view.

4. Sony - this is a VERY old laptop that originally has WinXP installed. I clean installed Win7, clean installed Win8, upgraded to Win8.1 and then upgraded to Win10 x64 Pro. It has only one HD that has three partitions. One is the Window 10 recovery partition, one is the OS and the 3rd is for data. This system is to be used to monitor my Solar installation. Following is the disk management view.

From the desktop I've shared out with full permissions, no ID required on S4 from the other systems all of the HDs except for the boot drive. Thus the laptops should be able to access any of the shared drives with full permissions. However this is NOT the case and I cannot determine what is the problem. I've gone to each laptop (Lenovo, Sony, W700) and attempted to access all of the drives but on two of the systems I cannot, following are more details.
    1. Lenovo - from this system I can access all of the S4 drives

2. From the Sony laptop, I cannot access five of the drives (highlighted in red in the following image)

3. From the W700 laptop, I cannot access the same five drive that the Sony cannot

If I go to each of the four systems and open Windows Explorer > Network I expect to see basically the same view but I don't see the following images.
    1. S4

2. Lenovo

3. Sony

4. W700

jgt1942, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

1. viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network - Similar Threads - viewing Properties shared

2. Trouble sharing drives on home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble sharing drives on home network: I have a home network, all devices either wired or wireless. I have a source computer with a folder i wish to share with 2 other computers. It is wireless and running Win 11. I have managed to share with another wireless Win 11 laptop, works great. However, I cannot share the...
  3. Trouble sharing drives on home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble sharing drives on home network: I have a home network, all devices either wired or wireless. I have a source computer with a folder i wish to share with 2 other computers. It is wireless and running Win 11. I have managed to share with another wireless Win 11 laptop, works great. However, I cannot share the...
  4. Trouble sharing drives on home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Accessing a shared Drive on home network

Accessing a shared Drive on home network: Hello,I have a PC and Laptop. I use the same exact Windows Credentials using my live.com account to use both computers. They are BOTH set up as Administrators on each respective computer. However, I cannot access a shared drive from one computer or another, even though it is...
  6. Accessing a shared Drive on home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a shared Drive on home network: Hello,I have a PC and Laptop. I use the same exact Windows Credentials using my live.com account to use both computers. They are BOTH set up as Administrators on each respective computer. However, I cannot access a shared drive from one computer or another, even though it is...
  7. Accessing a shared Drive on home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Query: Network and Sharing Center Properties

Query: Network and Sharing Center Properties: I've been looking for an alleged domain name like "domain.local 2" and I can't find it anywhere. EXCEPT on Network and Sharing Center Properties under "View your active networks" where I see: "Domain.local 2 Domain network" At issue is the "2". I'm just about convinced...
  9. Unable to view shared files on network

Unable to view shared files on network: I have a Lenovo PC with pre-installed Windows 10 OS. Today morning onwards the network is not getting accessible with this system. I can access other systems shared folders from this PC but can't access the shared folders of this Lenovo PC. Also internet is working fine in...
  10. Windows 10 and Network share properties

Windows 10 and Network share properties: Has anyone seen an issue with trying to access the properties of a network share and getting absolutely nothing? Just upgraded to Win10 from 7. We are in a windows 2008 domain with 2012 and Win 10 machines. We have regular accounts and admin accounts. The regular account...