Windows 10: Virtual Box & Activation

Discus and support Virtual Box & Activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've installed Windows 10 in VirtualBox before upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 on my 2 PCs. How can I activate the clean install test copy of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Steve C, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

Virtual Box & Activation

I've installed Windows 10 in VirtualBox before upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 on my 2 PCs. How can I activate the clean install test copy of Windows 10 in the VM? I have a retail product code for Windows 8 but this doesnt work. I also don't want to affect the activation when I do upgrade my PCs. I could install Windows 8 in the VM using my retail key then upgrade the VM copy to Windows 10 - but what would happen when I upgrade my main PC since Microsoft would see two activation requests for the same key?

:)

Steve C, Aug 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 Activation

I use Windows 10 within a Virtual Box environment. Today I installed a new SSD drive, and moved the Virtual Box Windows 10 environment to my new SSD drive (I have removed the old drive).

Now I get a message that I need to activate the Windows 10 within my Virtual Box environment. So I go to settings and try to activate Windows 10, but the message displayed tells me that I cannot activate the Windows 10 because it has already been activated
    previously.

What do I do now? I do not have my old drive, and cannot activate the Windows 10 on my new SSD drive.

SteveDodson, Aug 7, 2015
  3. auggy Win User
    What does Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56) mean?

There appears to be two third party virtual network adapters installed, Virtual Box and Easy Tether, which could be at issue.

If you want to try the upgrade again I would suggest the following:

Uninstall Virtual Box and Easy Tether - restart the computer afterwards and open the Device Manager and expand "Network adapters" and make sure the VirtualBox and EasyTether network adapters are not present.

Update the Realtek network adapter driver to the latest available from Realtek (presently 10.0.23):

Realtek

Uninstall McAfee and use Windows built-in antivirus (Windows Defender) and firewall for the upgrade.

After the upgrade you could reinstall Virtual Box, Easy Tether and McAfee.

auggy, Aug 7, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Virtual Box & Activation

Hi there

You must have an Activated version of the old OS in order to get an activated copy of W10. You CANNOT initially do a CLEAN install of W10 -- you MUST do the UPGRADE first then the Clean install will work. You have to apply all the latest updates to the OLD OS too before upgrading.

When doing the initial W10 upgrade DO NOT ENTER ANY KEY. !!!!!!

A VM is equivalent to a REAL machine as far as licences are concerned so you will have to have TWO licences.

What though does work -- you can clone the VM several times since it's Identical hardware !!!.

To solve your dilemma -- I'd upgrade your REAL machine first. Once that is working -- forget VBOX - use VMWARE player (Free) -- the easy way to create a VM is to use the FREE conversion tool which will create a VM from your running system. (The OLD OS). Now do the upgrade again.

Alternatively upgrade your OLD system first to W10 - do your clean install and NOW create a VM from the new W10 system using the same tool.

VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter | VMware United Kingdom

You might also be lucky in that the VM might be Activated -- however even if it isn't you can use W10 for a while until Ms sorts out the whole activation nonsense.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

Virtual Box & Activation

1. Virtual Box & Activation - Similar Threads - Virtual Box Activation

2. virtual box Win10Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    virtual box Win10Pro: can someone help me to activate the virtual box? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-box-win10pro/dcfe206c-ebc6-4ab1-bdf1-b65d97a181df
  3. Virtual Box

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virtual Box: Can someone help me, I'm having a problem in the virtual box in my windows 10 HP laptop it said it's a "failure to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 10 VM" in Windows 10. Can you tell me what to do, step by step?...
  4. Virtual Box

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual Box: Can someone help me, I'm having a problem in the virtual box in my windows 10 HP laptop it said it's a "failure to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 10 VM" in Windows 10. Can you tell me what to do, step by step?...
  5. Virtual box

Virtual box: Can someone help me, I'm having a problem in the virtual box in my windows 10 laptop it said it's a "failure to open a session" in ubuntu 20.04. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-box/335c9c84-7962-42f2-9ae6-758b64c9ccd4
  6. virtual box

virtual box: when i restart or turn of windows 10 i see that virtual box is starting in background. but i can not find any app named this . how can i uninstall this virtual box. i did not install this app....
  7. Windows 10 Activation on Virtual Box

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation on Virtual Box: I have windows 10 home via the OTA update from years ago, so no product key, just the license associated with the computer. I initially was interested in dual booting win10 alongside ubuntu 18.04 so I went through the process of using windows media creator to make a bootable...
  8. Can't activate windows 10 on virtual box

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows 10 on virtual box: I have windows 10 home via the OTA update from years ago, so no product key, just the license associated with the computer. I initially was interested in dual booting win10 alongside ubuntu 18.04 so I went through the process of using windows media creator to make a bootable...
  9. Virtual box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual box: Hello I am installing windows XP pro on my surface. The surface has Windows 10 pro. I am using Virtual box as I need winxp for a legacy software package that no longer supports newer versions of windows. Anyway, I have VB installed, win xp installed, however when I try...
  10. Virtual Box 4.3.26

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Box 4.3.26: Trying to install VB on windows 10 pro 10074 and it encounters an error and then backs out of the install. VMPlayer seems ok. Is there some problem with VB on the 10074 build? Shipinomore 5996