Windows 10: Virtual Desktops and programs set to start on Win startup

Discus and support Virtual Desktops and programs set to start on Win startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I'm not sure IF this is the appropriate section to post this thread, I'm going to do it anyway, though. On Windows 10 build 10162 I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Joanne, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Joanne Win User

Virtual Desktops and programs set to start on Win startup

Hi,

I'm not sure IF this is the appropriate section to post this thread, I'm going to do it anyway, though.

On Windows 10 build 10162 I have tried for the first time ever the Virtual Desktop feature. It is awesome! I wish to have at least one program, the monitoring utility HWiNFO64, to start on Windows startup. I use this constantly on Windows 7.

So, I have set it to run on my second virtual desktop, Desktop 2, as Win 10 calls it. Each time I reboot though the program opens in Desktop 1, and it pops up in front of me. I also have another program, the Aquasuite, which offers some beautiful Overview pages that can be designed and set to display on the desktop. Again, I have set it to run on Windows start up, and set its Overview page to display, to appear, on Desktop 2. But when I reboot it displays on Desktop 1, as well.

What is your experience with virtual desktops and the programs you set to start with Windows?
    Is this a normal thing? Is it something Windows 10 is responsible for, or something these programs themselves are responsible and should take care of?

Finally, one last question: I have observed that if I have a file or a folder on my Desktop 1, I can see them on Desktop 2, as well. Is there a way those, whatever I have on Desktop 1, to not appear on (virtual) Desktop 2?

Thank you.

:)

Joanne, Jul 4, 2015
  2. Thanatica Win User

Startup items to specific virtual desktop

How can I create shortcuts in the Startup folder and tell those programs to startup on a specific virtual desktop?

All I can find is minimized/maximized/normal, but not really anything else. I would to be able to specify in a shortcut which virtual desktop to start the program on. How can I do that?

Especially very handy for autostart programs, i.e. the ones in the Startup folder.

Thanatica, Jul 4, 2015
  3. virtual desktops programs shortcuts

virtual desktop function on win 10

yes I needed to spread all my different short cuts to different desktop virtual window

that would be very usefull to organize things

a little like on win 8.1 tiles system

any plan for doing this soon ?

otherwise this is a pretty useless feature for me

thanks

have a nice day

RickyJohn_747, Jul 4, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

TaskView is currently pretty basic. There is no way to tell an app to always open on a specific desktop, nor is there any way to make desktops unique to a virtual desktop. I hope this will improve as Microsoft upgrades Windows 10 over the next year or so. There are other features I would like, such as the ability to have an app visible on all desktops. But, as of now, no ability to do that.

Mystere, Jul 5, 2015
  5. Joanne Win User
    Oh, okay I see!

So, what I've referred to is simply not possible on Windows 10 right now, but it is something for the future. All right then, no problem *Smile

Personally, I will simply set these monitoring tools on my Desktop 1 and then, Crtl + WinKey + right arrow button to pass on my clean and empty Desktop 2 to continue my day. *Smile

Thank you *Smile

PS: I hope they will fix this soon though!

Joanne, Jul 5, 2015
  6. It may be done through a 3rd party app at some point. Even on Linux which has had virtual desktops for a long long time now, its still not very user friendly to get programs that run at startup to start on certain desktops. KDE is good but the rest leave a lot to be desired.

jmgibson1981, Jul 6, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Virtual Desktops and programs set to start on Win startup [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 7, 2015
  8. Joanne Win User

Thanks for your reply, Edwin, but what you show me -and it is already set the way you show it- is not what I meant. What you show in your screenshot makes, for example, Google Chrome when opened and running on Desktop_1 to not appear on Desktop_2. This works fine.

What I meant is if you have, for example, a .txt file or a folder saved on Desktop_1 to not show on Desktop_2. I asked IF this is possible. Mystere gave the right answer, saying that the TaskView is still pretty basic and what I ask cannot happen (yet).

Thank you.

Joanne, Jul 7, 2015
  9. According to my Client Server II instructor at ITT-TECH, you CAN accomplish this through Group Policy. I"m unsure how, obviously, but that is one of the three next major on-my-own-time projects I plan to tackle.

I'll let you all know my results later.

chronofusion, Apr 28, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    Well, there's been *some* improvement with TaskView. For instance, it's now possible to mark certain apps to always show, regardless of which desktop you're on. Hopefully the improvements keep coming.

Mystere, Apr 28, 2016
  11. areskz Win User
    I also would like to have this feature...
    Just now I found a command line tool named Vdesk that might be able to arrange what we need. Some ways of usage are described here. That tool might be worth giving a try!

UPDATE: this will be a correct link for exe file

areskz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Virtual Desktops and programs set to start on Win startup - Similar Threads - Virtual Desktops programs

2. Win 10 Desktop startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Desktop startup: Helloon my desktop I used to get amazing pictures from around the world whenever I started my windows 10, now I only get the same picture, any idea how to get that fixed. my laptop seems to display these amazing photosThanks...
  3. Win 10 Desktop startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Desktop startup: Helloon my desktop I used to get amazing pictures from around the world whenever I started my windows 10, now I only get the same picture, any idea how to get that fixed. my laptop seems to display these amazing photosThanks...
  4. Virtual Desktop controls - Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Desktop controls - Win 10: My desktop PC has two screens in extended mode and filled with icons and folders, most are shortcuts. How do I create a virtual desktop that is blank and only shows the icons and folders I need for that VD particular purpose? I want to set up desktops that are project...
  5. Virtual Desktop controls - Win 10

Virtual Desktop controls - Win 10: My desktop PC has two screens in extended mode and filled with icons and folders, most are shortcuts. How do I create a virtual desktop that is blank and only shows the icons and folders I need for that VD particular purpose? I want to set up desktops that are project...
  6. Auto start programs on virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto start programs on virtual desktops?: I have a lot of different workflows and it is pretty tedious to setup the most common ones which always need to be ready, every time I reboot. Is there a way to have programs that auto start on boot to launch on those virtual desktops automatically? It is pretty annoying to...
  7. Startup Apps in Designated Virtual Desktops

Startup Apps in Designated Virtual Desktops: I was wondering if it is possible if I can have specific programs launched at startup , and have them placed on a second virtual desktop. Specifically, when my windows 10 boots, I'd like for my Viber and Telegram to share one-half each of virtual desktop 1, my browser on...
  8. Programs not starting at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs not starting at startup: I have Win 10 latest version. No viruses or spyware. Check regularly with good programs. I have notice over the last few weeks 2-3 of my programs were not starting with Windows like have been for the past few years. I go into the program itself and the box that says start...
  9. Change Win Key for Virtual Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Win Key for Virtual Desktop: I love using virtual desktop however, the use of the Win key is giving me a lot of grief. A second program I utilize heavily craps out when the win key is pressed. It's been several months and developers are in no rush to fix this issue. I was hoping someone knew of a...
  10. No setting for virtual desktop gesture

No setting for virtual desktop gesture: Hello everybody, I have a laptop HP Pavilion 14-bf114ng, and on it a Windows 10 Home. In my last laptop with the same window in touchpad setting there was the possibility to change the setting of virtual desktop gesture from 4 fingers to 3 fingers. But now does not exist. I...