Windows 10: Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

Discus and support Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ... in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello everybody, recently I've installed Windows 8,1 Pro version on my laptop and today I'm trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by RomanaPapec, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

Hello everybody,
    recently I've installed Windows 8,1 Pro version on my laptop and today I'm trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise.
    I've have it on CD but when I'm trying to run it there's a message that says :

"Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from image files, or from removable media that isn't formatted with NTFS file system"

Can anyone tell me where is the problem, and what should I do?

I apologize if there is a thread with this question (I've found one but there was no answer).

:)

RomanaPapec, Sep 22, 2015
  2. Sam___ Win User

can a virtual hard disk be mounted when the file does not have the .vhd extension?

Hi Jon;

i would like to remove the .vhd extension from a virtual hard disk and still be able to mount the drive with explorer.exe.

That's not supported, however you could attach the file using the Disk Management console. Explorer replies on file extensions to quickly identify the files. If it didn't it would need to read the header of each file to identify its contents. If this answers
    your question can you please flag is as answered for the benefit of other users. Thank you.

-Sam

Sam___, Sep 22, 2015
  3. jon111 Win User
    can a virtual hard disk be mounted when the file does not have the .vhd extension?

i would like to remove the .vhd extension from a virtual hard disk and still be able to mount the drive with explorer.exe. forcing the use of the .vhd file extension makes finding these types of high value files way to easy. i removed the .vhd file extension,
    but then the system will not mount the drive. "open with" explorer.exe fails. using" disk management" fails. etc. somehow this makes little sense to me. windows hard reliance on file extensions is really not good computer science. if you try to mount what
    is internally just a text file, then it should fail being processed as a virtual hard disk and a user error message would be in order.

jon111, Sep 22, 2015
  4. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

Yes, it is.
    But I don't know the difference between regular and ISO file..*Biggrin

5. Cliff S New Member
    Try opening File Explorer create a folder for it, if you wish name it MO2007E or what ever,
    and extract(unzip) the ISO from the disk to this folder
    Then just click the on it to auto mount
    click the setup.exe
    An ISO usually has to be "Burned" to a disk to mount which is basically unzipping it.

Cliff S, Sep 22, 2015
  6. Sorry, but there was no option to extract it :/
    You have photos here :
    Screenshot
    When I tried to compres : Screenshot
    Any idea what now? :/

7. Cliff S New Member
    If you have a program like 7zip you can.

I extract

Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ... [​IMG]

Now I can burn or mount

Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ... [​IMG]

Cliff S, Sep 22, 2015
  8. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

Oh, it works!!
    Thank you very much for your help and time! *Smile

9. Cliff S New Member
    Glad to hear, you're very welcome*Biggrin

Cliff S, Sep 22, 2015
  10. jetman Win User
    Chris S,
    I have the same problem as the person in this thread. You can review my post at the title listed above. I am really frustrated with this problem and cannot get my computer working correctly. I am not an expert, however, I attempted to follow your instructions as indicated to Member Romana Papec. I really hope that I can gain the results she had with your help.
    To start with, I opened File Explorer and I could not figure out how to create a folder, I actually gave up. You suggested to download 7 zip for extracting iso files. I googled this program, and I was overwhelmed with deciding what to download. I did not want to make a bad decision on what to do and wind up with computer problems. I do not have an external drive either. If you could please take the time to guide me more explicitly, I would be pleased. Please review my post at the above title. Thank you kindly.

jetman, Nov 9, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Copy iso to hard drive and then mount as a drive.

cereberus, Nov 11, 2017
  12. jetman Win User
    cereberus,,
    Thanks for your input. I am in the process of trying to extract my iso files, which is giving me a problem.

jetman, Nov 11, 2017
  13. dmholt57 Win User

Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

When you have the .iso on your main hdd, right click on it and select mount, then you can see the files like they were on a CD...also options to extract. Double clicking the .iso mounts it like a DVD, then right click and eject to dismiss.

dmholt57, Nov 11, 2017
  14. jetman Win User
    dmholt57,
    I really appreciate the inputs from everyone. I just got through extracting two different iso files, and when I clicked on mount for each one it advised the file was corrupted. Are corrupted files repairable. I am lost here.

jetman, Nov 11, 2017
  15. dmholt57 Win User
    Extracting and mounting are two different things...I use a 3rd party .iso handler to install without making thumbdrives or dvds

dmholt57, Nov 11, 2017
Thema:

Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

1. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ... - Similar Threads - Virtual hard disk

2. does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?: I have a Box mounted volume. Does this also use space on my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-a-mounted-volume-use-disk-space-on-the-hard/42917f1c-32f3-49eb-97ae-018f643d3546
  3. does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?: I have a Box mounted volume. Does this also use space on my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-a-mounted-volume-use-disk-space-on-the-hard/42917f1c-32f3-49eb-97ae-018f643d3546
  4. does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can't remove virtual disks completely

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't remove virtual disks completely: I'm creating a lot of differencing disks for my project and deleting them after some time. I use "detach vdisk" command, they disappear from disk management but they are not completely removed... When i use "list vdisk" command there is a huge list with all the virtual...
  6. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  7. Can't mount external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  8. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...
  9. Compacting virtual hard disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Compacting virtual hard disks: Compressing a vhdx file in Hyper-V Well I have had fun today trying to compress some vhdx files used in Hyper-V. My VHDXs only had around 15GB of files (10 pro Insider 15061) including hidden files after disk cleanup when in Hyper-V but the vhdx files were around 40 GB/...
  10. Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files: Please allow me to explain my problem for it to be better understood. Approx. three weeks ago my computer just suddenly shut down. Within a few seconds I was receiving a display that said Windows will repair your computer and reinstall Windows. I did a lot of reading and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual hard disks files cant be mounted from images files or from removable media that isnt formatted with ntfs file system windows 10

2. Virtual hard disk files cant be mounted from image files or from removable media that isnt formatted with NTFS file system.