Windows 10: Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files

Discus and support Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Please allow me to explain my problem for it to be better understood. Approx. three weeks ago my computer just suddenly shut down. Within a few seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jetman, Nov 4, 2017.

1. jetman Win User

Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files

Please allow me to explain my problem for it to be better understood. Approx. three weeks ago my computer just suddenly shut down. Within a few seconds I was receiving a display that said Windows will repair your computer and reinstall Windows. I did a lot of reading and research in this forum and now realize that my computer apparently crashed back then. Since windows repaired and reinstalled windows the computer seemed to work ok, except for limited of programs. I was advised by a friend who is Microsoft Insider, that my files needed to be reinstalled. If I may, before I can explain further, can I ask if my files can be recovered if I didn't have any backups. I will continue after a response, thank you.

:)

jetman, Nov 4, 2017
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 4, 2017
  3. fragmented disk image

Hi Brandon,

VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file that represents a virtual hard drive and contains what is normally found on a physical hard disk drive. You can try to mount the VHD images to extract and recover the file by following the steps below:

• Right-click on Start Menu and select Disk Management.
    • On the Disk Management window, click Action and select
      Attach VHD.
    • Click Browse, navigate to and select the VHD file, click
      Open
      , then OK.
    • You can now proceed to browse, copy and open files from the mounted VHD.

Note: You may have to mount all VHD files to extract a single disk image file from it.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Adrianne Buc, Nov 4, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

"...that my files needed to be reinstalled..."
    Any and all 3rd party programs and utilities have to be re-installed.
    Now, if you're meaning your Data folders and files -- that will be another long, hard, story.

RolandJS, Nov 5, 2017
  5. jetman Win User
    RolandS, thanks for your reply. I am sure it is 3rd party programs, since those programs are showing a short list that was many before the crash occurred. are the files recoverable if no backups available. I would like to explain further info if files cannot be recovered. Where do I continue to my explanation, here.

jetman, Nov 5, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Nov 5, 2017
  7. jetman Win User
    RolandS,,
    Thanks for your reply. It would be a little difficult for me to accomplish your comment. There fore, please review the following. I have discovered that I did in fact accomplish a backup of seven disks back on May 15, 2017. I used DVD-RW disks.
    and when I attempted to to mount the files from any of the disks I received the following message. Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from image files, or from removable media that isn't formatted with NTFS file system. I tried formatting a blank dvd disk, then I used a program to copy one of the backup disks. When I attempted to have the copy of a backup disk write to the formatted disk, it said the disk was not empty, due to the formatting. I am totally lost and inexperienced. I would appreciate getting any help I can. Thank you.

jetman, Nov 5, 2017
  8. RolandJS Win User

"...I have discovered that I did in fact accomplish a backup of seven disks back on May 15, 2017. I used DVD-RW disks.
    and when I attempted to to mount the files from any of the disks I received the following message. Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from image files, or from removable media that isn't formatted with NTFS file system..."
    I have not made CD or DVD backups since Norton Ghost and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 -- I'll have to go into listening mode, learning alongside you, from the knowledge and experiences of others.

RolandJS, Nov 6, 2017
  9. jetman Win User
    RolandS,
    I found away to transfer data on one of the seven backup disks I have to a USB flash drive that I formatted to a NTFS system. Could you tell me how to mount the image files to my hard drive, as I need them to appear in the programs and features. It is a lot of work that is ahead for me to do what I did on the remaining backup disks, although its worth it. Also, any other Forum member could with a similar problem could use. Thank you

jetman, Nov 6, 2017
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Nov 6, 2017
  11. jetman Win User
    Eagle51,
    Thank you for alerting me regarding the issue I have in trying to get my program file back into my system. I thought I was on the right track, until I started getting messages like "You do not have permission to mount" "files are corrupted" I lack experience with the details explaining what to do. Post #4 was simple for the young lady that has been around for a few years. I am kind of lost and hope the backup disks are the answer to regain my program files. I could really us some help as I am determine to win before I give up on Windows 10 that was shaping up to be a fantastic system. Thank you.

jetman, Nov 7, 2017
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Nope if they are on disk, I wouldn't doubt they are recorded UDF(Universal Disk Format File).

I'm sure 7Zip can open them,

Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files [​IMG]

You can try copying the files from each disk into a folder(to make it easier) On desktop right click, then select New > folder. name it whatever you want.

Get 7 Zip from here: https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/d...read/de8085ea/

Then after you have copied all the disk files into the folder, open 7Zip by using 7Zip like you would File Explorer.

Cliff S, Nov 9, 2017
  13. jetman Win User

Chris S
    I am attempting to copy backup disks to the desk top folder I created, and the first two disks initiated a message as follows....There is not enough space on DVD RW drive. You need an additional 4.34 GB to copy these files. My hard drive is I TB 791GB free. Need help

jetman, Nov 10, 2017
  14. jetman Win User
    Chris S
    I am patiently awaiting your assistance. I realize you are not my personal instructor, however, you are the one person that has given me hope of resolving my problem. I appreciate the others as well and thank them. I will wait for your assistance.

jetman, Nov 10, 2017
  15. Cliff S New Member
    I have no way to test what is hampering you from dragging an dropping from a CD to a file on your hard drive.
    I was able to do it on an o0ld Win7 Repair disk.
    Open the folder on the DVD/CD and copy the files inside, and not the whole disk at once.

I did these on my laptop that has a DVD player/recorder:

Cliff S, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Virtual Hard disk Files can't be mounted from image files - Similar Threads - Virtual Hard disk

2. Can't mount ISO file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't mount ISO file: After upgrading from Window 10 64 to Windows 11 I can't mount ISO files. I have mount options in Explorer and after choosing it Windows Explorer stops responding. That is the situation with all ISO files, even with those ones, downloaded with Windows 10 on the same notebook...
  3. Can't mount ISO file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount ISO file: After upgrading from Window 10 64 to Windows 11 I can't mount ISO files. I have mount options in Explorer and after choosing it Windows Explorer stops responding. That is the situation with all ISO files, even with those ones, downloaded with Windows 10 on the same notebook...
  4. Hard Drive Disk Image File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Disk Image File: HelloI have a question, is it safe to delete Hard Drive Disk Image File under Windows C: because the file is 100GB which is alot for meHope that someone answers meBest Regards ElavPuder...
  5. Hard Drive Disk Image File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Disk Image File: HelloI have a question, is it safe to delete Hard Drive Disk Image File under Windows C: because the file is 100GB which is alot for meHope that someone answers meBest Regards ElavPuder...
  6. Hard Drive Disk Image File

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...
  8. Mounting file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mounting file: I bought a new desktop pc--Yeah! As instructed I downloaded all my old pc files to an external hard drive-- Fat32. When I try to open the files on my new pc, I am told "Couldn't mount file" and to use Disk Mgt snap-in---whatever that is. I am just trying to access my old...
  9. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...: Hello everybody, recently I've installed Windows 8,1 Pro version on my laptop and today I'm trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. I've have it on CD but when I'm trying to run it there's a message that says : "Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from...
  10. Mount Image Files

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Mount Image Files: Am I mistaken, or didn't Windows 10 come with an built in application for mounting image files? I have a .bin file that I am not able to mount automatically. Thanks 23752

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual hard disk files cant be mounted

2. virtual hard disk files cant be mounted from image files or from removable media that isnt formatted with ntfs file system

3. virtual hard disk files cannot be mounted

4. how to solve my virtual hard disc files cant be mounted from image files or the removable media that isnt formatted with NTFS file system,
  5. virtual hard drive file cant Be mounted from image file or from removable media that isnt formatted with ntfs file system phoenix os,
  6. virtual hard disc files cant be mounted from image files or from removable media that isnt formatted with ntfs file system,
  7. virtual disk files cant be mounted from image files or from removable media that isnt formatted with ntfs file system,
  8. virtual hard disk files cannot be mounted from image files or from removable media,
  9. virtual hard disks files cant be mounted from images files or from removable media that isnt formatted with ntfs file system windows 10,
  10. virtual hard disk cant be mounted from image files that is not formatted with nfts,
  11. virtual hard disk files cannot be mounted from image files that isnt formatted with ntfs file system,
  12. virtual hard disk files cant be mounted from iso,
  13. virtual hard disk files cant be mounted feom the image file,
  14. Virtual hard disk files can’t be mounted from image files or from removable media that isn’t formatted with NTFS file system,
  15. be mountaited virtual files cant