Windows 10: Virtual Machines/Virus Software

Discus and support Virtual Machines/Virus Software in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, This is unrelated to Win 10 so thought this area might be best I put the VMWare Player on my PC to use Win 10 and would also like to now try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by paulsalter, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Virtual Machines/Virus Software

Hi,

This is unrelated to Win 10 so thought this area might be best

I put the VMWare Player on my PC to use Win 10 and would also like to now try putting XP on it for a bit of nostalgia, no networking with host but would like internet on it

Is it safe to run XP under VMWare without any virus protection, can it get a virus onto my host machine

I am assuming that all that can get affected is the VM and if this happens I can just delete it and re create it

Thanks for any info
    Paul

:)

paulsalter, Oct 30, 2014
  2. JonNaga Win User

Boot my old harddrive (Windows XP) on my Windows 10 Creators PC?

Will you kindly make me a tutorial of the virtual machine. Also which virtual machine software are better?

JonNaga, Oct 30, 2014
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Is there any way to run an old copy of Microsoft Digital Image

Sure, and it's not hard: Create a virtual machine, install the version of Windows needed for your software, then install the software.

Windows includes its own virtual machine called Hyper-V. If you're not familiar with virtual machines you may not find Hyper-V very intuitive. By contrast, VirtualBox (from Oracle) and VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare) are easier to understand, and
    the web is filled with tutorials on how to set them up.

Once you've created your virtual machine, install Windows in the VM, then install your software.

BulldogXX, Oct 30, 2014
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Virtual Machines/Virus Software

The virtual partition is clearly seperated from the host system. There is really no chance a virus could 'jump' from the guest system to the host system. Make a copy of the XP VMware Player folder. Then you can always recover your XP system in case something happens there.

It should be understood that anything from the internet or another external source that is being transferred from the virtual partition to the host can be infected. This can happen either via a shared partition or a shared clipboard. Before transferring such information, it should be scanned for malware in the virtual partition. Virus total is an excellent tool for that.

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not trying to be nasty -- but as a MVP surely your info should be a LITTLE more accurate.

While it's true that an ISOLATED VM won't get a Virus or pass a Virus to the Host - there's no reason why a SHARED Volume on the HOST couldn't pick up a virus and then this could get the XP infected, Then the XP infection could infect the Host again via shared volumes / folders. The virus could even "mutate" on the XP machine so the Host re-infection could be WORSE !!.

It's not a probable scenario but it IS possible so when running XP VM machines I'd definitely keep them ISOLATED - you can install a VM with NO networking --IMO that's the safest way and that's the advice you SHOULD have been given.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 3, 2014
  6. Thanks for the replies, was going to do this at the weekend but life got in the way

To clarify a few things
    I am not planning on doing any network sharing with it (unless VMWare automatically creates a share to the host machine)
    The only possible share I would have is OneDrive, but I don't believe this was available in XP, so will be a non issue, will not be installing software to set this up
    I do want it to have internet access

I am just after setting up XP as it comes and using it as is

paulsalter, Nov 3, 2014
  7. DavidE Win User
    I've been playing around with WTP as a VMware Guest running under Windows 7 Host.
    What I've found is the WTP VM can sometimes see data on the Host even if I haven't explicitly added a "VM Shared Folder".
    It seems to depend on what/where Shares are on the Host OS...

When you have the VM installed, look in the VM Windows (file) Explorer.
    Check what you can see in Networking.
    You might find something you didn't expect where the VM can access Host data...

hth,
    David

DavidE, Nov 3, 2014
  8. Virtual Machines/Virus Software

Thanks, not got VM running at the moment
    Will have a look in the WTP this afternoon and see what it sees

paulsalter, Nov 3, 2014
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Hi there

Not trying to be nasty -- but as a MVP surely your info should be a LITTLE more accurate.

While it's true that an ISOLATED VM won't get a Virus or pass a Virus to the Host - there's no reason why a SHARED Volume on the HOST couldn't pick up a virus and then this could get the XP infected, Then the XP infection could infect the Host again via shared volumes / folders. The virus could even "mutate" on the XP machine so the Host re-infection could be WORSE !!.

It's not a probable scenario but it IS possible so when running XP VM machines I'd definitely keep them ISOLATED - you can install a VM with NO networking --IMO that's the safest way and that's the advice you SHOULD have been given.

Cheers
    jimbo Now you are really nitpicking. Of course anything can happen with a shared volume, but that is not what the average person does because the setup is not that obvious. Example.

10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Cheers
    jimbo Now you are really nitpicking. Of course anything can happen with a shared volume, but that is not what the average person does because the setup is not that obvious. Example.
    Hi there

I'm not going to get into a long tedious argument over this one - but IMO you should simply have said Keep the XP VM isolated or "stand alone" which would have conveyed accurate info without getting into too much detail.

Little things of OMISSION can cause far more mis-understandings and errors.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 5, 2014
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    To make you happy I have added a paragraph to the original posting.

12. Don't forget that viruses can be transferred just like on a real PC (e.g. USB sticks). *Eek

lehnerus2000, Nov 5, 2014
  13. Virtual Machines/Virus Software

I'm not a VM user but I do have a question.

After installing your operating system on a VM can't one just also install a anti virus program on the VM to protect it?
    It should probable be the same anti virus program that is used on the host system.
    MSE/MSE
    Avast/Avast
    ect.

Now you would have your host computer protected and your VM operating system protected.

If this is a dumb question slap the snot out of me.

Layback Bear, Nov 5, 2014
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    That's why I said this - an "external source" can be of course also a USB stick.

15. I agree and understand what you are posting WHS
    I was just wondering if a AV program installed on the host and one on the VM is workable.
    Can it be done and would it be helpful?

Layback Bear, Nov 5, 2014
Thema:

Virtual Machines/Virus Software

1. Virtual Machines/Virus Software - Similar Threads - Virtual Machines Virus

2. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine: Me want to go to Free Virtual windows thing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/09a68db0-55fb-46e4-8ea2-2238cdaabe20
  3. Virus in virtual machine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus in virtual machine: Guys, when a virus infects the virtual machine and sets the config to spread this virus to local networks, we can say that this virus escapes the virtual machine, but is there any way to block it?...
  4. Virtual Machine

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Virtual Machine: Hello Microsoft this is Philip and i hope you have a wonderful day.I have just purchased a app called VirtualMachine from National Software and i don know how to set it up if youd know please help me thank you.Philip...
  5. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  6. What happens if i install a virus on virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What happens if i install a virus on virtual machine?: What happens if i install something with the virus on a (windows10)virtual machine, will it infect my real files? submitted by /u/PokvarenoMleko [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jlyob9/what_happens_if_i_install_a_virus_on_virtual/
  7. Echo Issue with all Conferencing software on Virtual machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Echo Issue with all Conferencing software on Virtual machine: Recently upgraded to Win 10 build 2004 and a problem has become very pronounced with other people on a conference call saying they have an echo while talking unless I mute my mic. I am using a full headset with both sound and a microphone, so it's not a speaker/mic issue. My...
  8. virtual machines

virtual machines: I have windows 10 pro as my main os and i want a copy of the same os so i can play around with the system configurations without harming my main os. How can i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machines/8896c12f-46cf-4120-a190-fb287326fdf3
  9. Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine: I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured...
  10. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...