Windows 10: virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ?

Discus and support virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; First of all, I apologize for the multiple postings - I don't get to spend as much time learning this new stuff as I would like. Since I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by dinosaur, Nov 22, 2017.

1. dinosaur Win User

virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ?

First of all, I apologize for the multiple postings - I don't get to spend as much time learning this new stuff as I would like.

Since I cannot "activate" my working XPmode, is the VirtualBox snapshot function a solid workaround ? Just create a snapshot NOW, and every few weeks restore it so that my XPmode doesn't fizzle due to lack of activation ?

OR is this a no-go because somehow the system date still manages to kill it ? If this is the case, where does the date of installation of XPmode reside ?

OR do I just let XPmode fizzle and then re-install

OR do i just set back my system date every so often ? Sounds dumb, but I really don't care what my computer "thinks" the correct date is --- I am just grateful for each morning that I don't wake up dead.

OR does someone have a solid workaround ?

:)

dinosaur, Nov 22, 2017
  2. JTDemag12 Win User

No virtual pc/XP-mode after upgrade

Well I seem to have mine working at this point. I basically read all of Andrea's links as well as How to add an XP Mode Virtual Machine to Windows 10 (or 8) using Hyper-V

Which had more specific details to follow. I just did not follow these for the Hyper-V (I got a NO for one line (virtualization enabled in firmware), but rather downloaded and installed Oracle Virtualbox. After a few adjustments and installing the VB Guest
    Additions it seems to be working. Now I will need to call MS to get an XP license activated, it nags me so many days left. I tried typing in my XPMode license# I found still on my Virtual PC/XPMode file but it was not accepted! I trust they will oblige!

It still irks me that the upgrade to Win-X did not inform me that I had an issue with my Virtual PC/XPMode! (said no issues) That it would no longer work after the upgrade! I guess they knew if that tid-bit was noted then upgrade would have been stopped!

But I probably would have done more research further to find out more, then decide if the upgrade was feasible. Good Luck

JTDemag12, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Eric80 Win User
    Hesitate to Change From Windows 7 to Windows 10 Because "Virtual PC XP Mode" is Not Available

The XP Mode was a feature of the professional version of windows 7 (and one reason why I bought the pro version over the home).

Since 8, MS replaced VirtualPC with HyperV. It's an hypervisor, working closer with your CPU and can theoretically deliver better performance. In Windows10, you can enjoy the RemoteFX feature to visualize your GPU.

You can upgrade the XP Mode VM to an HyperV VM or any other hypervisor like VirtualBox or VMware.

But the licensing might be an issue!

With Windows7 XPMode, you don't need any XP licence, XP get auto activated and runs smoothly!

Using this XP Mode VM in any other visualizer/hypervisor, you get an non activated system.

I wonder if there is any solution for that licensing issue!

A further question of the licensing issue: is it allowed to run a virtualized windows 7 on an upgraded windows 10 just to run inside the XP mode?

Eric80, Nov 22, 2017
Thema:

virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ?

1. virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ? - Similar Threads - virtualbox xpmode snapshots

2. cant activate my virtualbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant activate my virtualbox: Hi i have a problem i have a windows 7 ultimate virtual machine and cant activate because i dont know whats the product key can you help me ? the program i use is oracle virtualbox and thank you...
  3. cant activate my virtualbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant activate my virtualbox: Hi i have a problem i have a windows 7 ultimate virtual machine and cant activate because i dont know whats the product key can you help me ? the program i use is oracle virtualbox and thank you...
  4. Snapshots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snapshots: How can I take a snapshot trough the computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snapshots/335dfbb3-5214-482d-b17a-0e8f26347dde
  5. Snapshots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snapshots: How can I take a snapshot trough the computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snapshots/335dfbb3-5214-482d-b17a-0e8f26347dde
  6. Snapshots

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Win 10 activation on Virtualbox

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 activation on Virtualbox: Hi, I had a Win 7 which I've upgraded to Win 10 and inside that Win 10 I've instaled virtualbox with win 10 technical preview to see what's comming next. Not long ago I've bought ssd and I've done clean installation and because motherboard and cpu was the same there was no...
  8. virtualbox/xpmode - vmlite pcbios.bin

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtualbox/xpmode - vmlite pcbios.bin: Jiggering search terms, I found these 2 links: Long Live WindowsXp/Run XP in a Virtual Box for free - Ashwani Kumar VMLite XP Mode Plugin for VirtualBox and Virtutal Box 4.0 - VMLite I did not create another virtual xpmode, i just applied pcbios.bin to the one I...
  9. viirtualbox/XPmode - how do i "activate" virt XP ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    viirtualbox/XPmode - how do i "activate" virt XP ?: running win 10 home, installed virtualbox, used XPmode, got my single must-have ancient piece of software running. how do i "activate" my version of virtual XPmode ? a valid key is contained in the microsoft XPmode download itself...no problem with having the key. i...
  10. Windows 10 activation workaround?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation workaround?: Hi, had previously free upgraded win7 to 10....I then cloned that drive to a larger drive....my motherboard recently fried so upgraded that, now my windows 10 is not activated my question is, if I were to reinstall 7 on the original smaller drive then upgrade again to 10...